The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #51
pax

Quote:
I have done some practice shooting from a pocket in a rain coat. First one or two shots produces a hole large enough to push the gun through for normal aiming. That might not happen with the bag.
It mostly does not.

The semi-auto, of course, gives you only one shot. That's a known given.

The revolver with an exposed hammer is as likely to jam as not -- entangled in the liner.

The revolver without an exposed hammer mostly does not jam, and is the only gun where you could reasonably expect to get a second shot if things go well for you.

Quote:
Practice is the key but it doesn't have to be from inside a bag. This is more or less hip shooting.
Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I pointed out that all of my participants were experienced, competent shooters who were and are well-trained and well-able to get reliable, solid hits from the hip retention position.

Again, suit yourself. But our experience with multiple tests showed me that if you're going to bet your life on being able to get solid hits from inside a bag, it's a skill you need to practice repeatedly ... from inside the bag.

pax
Old November 25, 2013, 03:45 PM   #52
Dot_mdb

What is the alternative? If the alternative is to draw from any kind of concealment, it won't work. Not enough time in an elevator or in a stairway. In fact some of this might entail shooting at contact distance with the bag against the assailant's body. That increases the chances of a hit dramatically.

Sure, shooting from inside the bag is not ideal, but hits are not impossible. The problem is one of indexing. The gun has to sit in the hand properly and has to be positioned against the same spot in the bag each time. The gun and the bag are pushed forward toward the target. If nothing else the flash and bang in a confined area might save your life.

Bill

Last edited by Dot_mdb; November 25, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old November 25, 2013, 05:55 PM   #53
pax

Bill,

Again, with a proper bag that includes a built in holster, you aren't getting your finger on the trigger until the gun is out of the holster anyway. By the time it's out of the holster, it's also out of the bag.

Also again, we did all our tests with an otherwise empty bag. When there are items inside the bag, accuracy will decline due to deflection. That's true even at close contact range.

pax
Old November 25, 2013, 06:04 PM   #54
Dot_mdb

If we are lucky none of us well ever have to use this type of defensive tactic. I have analyzed the alternatives and have decided on the way I want to handle it. Others will agree with me or disagree and make their own decisions. My feeling is that this discussion has given people something to think about and then they will go ahead and evaluate their own risks and alternatives.

Bill
Old November 26, 2013, 04:49 AM   #55
Tejicano

I have been using a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack for CCW. The strap goes over my left shoulder and the bag sits below my waist at 3:00 o'clock.

One advantage I see with this set up is that when a situation goes to condition yellow I can discretely open the zipper and have my hand on my gun ready to go without telegraphing that I have a gun. It just looks like I am holding the bag against my body.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:55 PM   #56
FireForged

My thought would be to leave all that other stuff in the man bag and carry the pistol on my person. If I ever need a firearm, I need it NOW.. heck with fooling around with a bag to get a pistol. Just my opinion.

Last edited by FireForged; November 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old December 19, 2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Fleabag

I use several methods. If it is hot outside it's either pocket carry or Maxpedition bag. If I suit up it's owb. Personally I can't do an iwb holster.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:43 AM   #58
peacefulgary

For all the reasons already stated in this thread, don't keep your handgun in your purse.