The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Nube

Uncertain

OK guys I just joined not too long ago so cut me cut me some slack. I am just thinking about getting started to reload, as just a hobby. But after lurking on here I don't know? It looks like something that you don't want to start without a mentor (with all the talk of "seating", pressures, bullet types, etc) I live in a very rural area (75 miles to the nearest Walmart). I am just thinking about retiring and need to fill some empty time in the winter. Talk me into or out of it considering that I would have to buy all the equipment, powder, etc. I have heard that it is easy...... but maybe tedious? IDK I have read the Lymans book and from that not too bad but.... Thanks for the advice
Old January 26, 2019, 04:30 PM   #2
kilotanker22

It's really not that difficult. Time consuming, but not hard. It's also rewarding. Being able to perfectly tune ammunition to a specific rifle. Also, you can shoot more rounds for less money.

Read your manuals, also there are a wealth of videos on YouTube that are done appropriately.
Old January 26, 2019, 04:41 PM   #3
FITASC

What are you looking to reload-shotgun, pistol, rifle?
Shotgun is probably the easiest and most forgiving followed by pistol and then rifle.(IMO)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2019, 04:42 PM   #4
kilotanker22

As a minimum you need.

A Press
Dies
Shell holders
Priming tool
Lube
Case neck brush
Primer pocket cleaning tool
Debur and chamfer tool
Funnel
Scale
Trimmer (Lee has a trimmer that is very inexpensive)
Bullets
Powder
Brass
Primers.

Those are the basics, (if I didn't forget anything) you could make it work with what airline just listed.
You could buy a kit with pretty much everything, but I think that you could get all the pieces individually for less money if you shopped around.

I would start with a single stage press. RCBS Rockchucker is what I use still. Also what I started on. Had it for 10 years without a single issue ever.

I recommend FL sizing Brass. I have neck sized my brass in the past, but I don't really feel like there is any real observable advantage to neck sizing over FL sizing.

I also don't ever Crimp Bottle neck rifle cartridges. Except for semiauto guns. And even then, only if there is a cannelure.

Other can add to this I am sure, but it's a great hobby that is hard to get bored with. There are just so many options.....
Old January 26, 2019, 05:01 PM   #5
FITASC

If he's reloading basic pistol, he really doesn't need half that stuff.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2019, 05:07 PM   #6
std7mag

Welcome to the forum!
And hopefully reloading.
While there are expenses when you first start out, they can last a lifetime, literally.
Think of them more as investments.
To help keep startup costs down, you can buy the "kits".
Lee 4 hole turret press kit comes with press, beam scale, camfer/deburr tool.
I've loaded everything except shotgun with it. Was my first press, still my go to press.

Like KiloTanker said, it isn't that hard, and can be very rewarding.
Although hairpulling at times too. Lol

Do things one at a time. No distractions!
Only one powder on the bench at a time!
If it doesn't feel right, it isn't! (Yes feel is a big part of reloading).

If you feel you don't understand a process, or have any other questions, ASK!

Bear in mind. With ammo costing over $1 a shot, reloading can cut that almost in half.
But you won't save any money. You'll shoot more.
Which makes you more proficient.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2019, 05:20 PM   #7
k4swb

If you can concentrate on a project and not get distracted, read and follow directions you can hand load.

If you get a couple of manuals to start with and pay attention to only about 1/4th of what you read online to keep from getting overwhelmed, you'll do fine.

If after you read the manuals and decide it is something that may interest you for awhile, buy good equipment but spend wisely. It really doesn't need to cost a lot of money for initial equipment and spending a little more to start with is wise.

I will offer this and probably get slack, do not buy the cheapest Lee press and scale and SOME other Lee stuff, But you need not buy the best of the best either.

I bought an RCBS Reloader Special 5 after I found that my Lee's ram was so far out of alignment that I couldn't load rifle ammo and still use it today.
I use equipment from Lee and some from much better other brands.

Reading too much and asking too many questions will get you overwhelmed pretty badly.

The internet forums are a great place to get info, both good and bad but what they do mostly do is confuse the crap out of a beginner.

Go at it in a calm, non rushed manner and don't sweat the little things that are nitpicked to death and aren't really that critical.

Load in the middle of a recipe. Don't sweat the couple of thousands seating depth as long as it fits your mag/cylinder and chamber.

Also don't sweat the .1 .2 .3 grain in powder charges. As I said, start in the lower to middle of a recipe.

If you can't find the exact components, relax and study what you can find and get close.

Also magnum handgun loads do not actually need magnum primers.
I load up to .44 mag and never use magnum primers for powder even W296.
Heck, I really load wrong, I don't roll crimp either, just taper crimp.

Been doing this for over 30 years and am glad I learned before the internet or I would never have loaded my first round.

I'll shut up now and see what happens.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:21 PM   #8
rg1

Buy the best equipment from the start. I've been an RCBS equipment fan since the early 80's. It's expensive to get started but is a great hobby. Most of we reloaders got started without a mentor. Following the instructions and how-to's in the major reloading manuals will guide you and like mentioned, if you have questions ask. Follow reload data in the manuals. If you shoot Hornady bullets buy their manual, Sierra then get theirs etc. Lyman's manual is a great manual. Takes a lot of time and needs no distractions. Lot's like me shoot so they will have some empty brass to reload. Couple things I did not buy until later were a primer pocket uniformer, electronic scale and now a scale-dispenser, and a headspace gauge set. All tools I should have bought from the start. I have Hornady's Headspace Gauge Set and also RCBS Precision Mics for some rifle cartridges. I recommend all these tools from the start.

Last edited by rg1; January 26, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Nube

Sorry I am tentatively thinking about rifle, 243, 22-250, 223, and pistol, 9mm. I am going to humbly ask if I am on the right track with these calibers as the 9mm is really "cheap" off the shelf and so is the 223 (Well less costly)
Old January 26, 2019, 05:26 PM   #10
Nube

k4swb
"The internet forums are a great place to get info, both good and bad but what they do mostly do is confuse the crap out of a beginner." Ya that is for sure
Thanks for the replies every one.

rg1 thanks I would not have thought of that
Old January 26, 2019, 05:34 PM   #11
NoSecondBest

Post your location. Maybe someone will invite you over to learn. For the most part the more experienced loaders don't mind showing new people how to do it. I've "trained" a bunch I've met at local clubs I belong to. It's a good way to meet people also who have something in common.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:38 PM   #12
std7mag

Nube,
Don't let people mislead you into thinking the Lee stuff is crap.
Some people just have more dollars than cents. pun intended.

It really does not matter what brand you decide to buy, that is entirely up to you. All the major brands make quality items.

And the $300 RCBS press cannot do a single thing that a $100 Lee press does not.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2019, 05:40 PM   #13
xandi

Try the 243 and the 22-250, 223 too if you want match ammo
All you need is
a lee loader
A piece of wood
A rubber mallet/hammer
And a scale
Everything else is extra
That said, I like a press, and calibers and clean brass
Old January 26, 2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Reloadron

Quote:
Sorry I am tentatively thinking about rifle, 243, 22-250, 223, and pistol, 9mm. I am going to humbly ask if I am on the right track with these calibers as the 9mm is really "cheap" off the shelf and so is the 223 (Well less costly)
Well there are a few thoughts on that. There are those who claim reloading will save you money and those who say it won't, you will just shoot more.

Since I retired or even before I retired I would tend to reload much more during the winters. Since I favor the outdoor ranges and rifle shooting living winters in NE Ohio is rather cold so I gravitate to my loading.

Reloading itself is not inherently difficult and you don't need every new gauge and gizmo out there to get started and make pretty good ammunition. If you think you would enjoy it then by all means have at it.

Ron
Old January 26, 2019, 06:17 PM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Just economy isn't necessarily the only reason to load as far as caliber choices are concerned. More accurate ammo and the art of the hobby for me are a big part of the reason I reload. I know there is so much information on line to digest that it can seem overwhelming at first. But if you just start out simple and work your way into it it's pretty easy to learn. Just be careful, follow proper procedures and you'll be fine. If I may make some suggestions, get a good single stage press, good balance beam scale, powder trickler, a good powder measure, a loading block, a good priming tool, some loading dies, a trimmer, and all the components and your plenty ready to go. Oh, and don't forget some loading manuals.
Old January 26, 2019, 07:25 PM   #16
cw308

I love reloading as much as shooting , nothing like rolling your own . I'm retired now , reloading will take up alot of your time if you choose. This forum will help you go step by step . What equipment are you getting ?
Old January 26, 2019, 07:50 PM   #17
zeke

Currently don't believe i can reload jacketed 9mm for less than buying factory rounds, even with brass cost of zero. Then there is the time involved. If you buy factory 9mm with decent cases, save the brass. Have been through numerous component/ammunition shortages, and likely they will happen again.

If you shoot a fair amount of rifle, reloading for them should save money in the long term.

You will never be lacking a x-mas list if you reload, and will be able to keep shooting during ammunition shortages. It is not as hard as it seems by reading some of the discussions on here. Buying a "press kit" may save some money.
Old January 26, 2019, 08:49 PM   #18
big al hunter

When I started reloading in 1993 I bought a kit, read the manual, and started loading. It isn't difficult. And you already took the first, most important step. You read a loading manual.

Most of the kits have everything you need to get started. If you're worried about having a mentor, you have several of the most knowledgeable loaders right here. I have learned a bit about the finer points of reloading that the manuals just mentioned, from these amazing folks.

Don't worry about fine tuning loads and getting the best accurate loads until you get the hang of the basics. It doesn't take long to get the feel of your press. And sometimes the accurate loads happen without all the fuss and muss. A good powder, bullet, primer combo can make a big difference from factory ammo.

I have a mix of tool brands, RCBS, Lee, Lyman. All have functioned the way they should. I haven't noticed a difference in my ammunition from Lee dies v.s. RCBS dies that are near 2 times as expensive. Since you are interested in rifle for the most part, I would recommend a single stage press. The only press type I would avoid are the C shaped variety. I have read too many posts about them going out of alignment or other similar issues.

It is a great hobby. Have fun with it!
Old January 26, 2019, 09:00 PM   #19
kmw1954

nube I think your first post says it best, HOBBY!

Go into it with that mindset and you can start with the minimum needed or as elaborate as you can afford. It's all up to you. It is all going to revolve around where your interest takes you.

I don't do it because I am looking to save money or because I need the best Match Ammunition available or because I am shooting pistol competitions and need 2000 rounds every month. I do it because I enjoy it, it fills time and keep the mind active. The forums add to it now because I have people to communicate with and bounce ideas off of.

I am not a brand loyalist and I chose what I believe is going to serve me best, fill the needs I have and do it at a reasonable price point for what I am trying to achieve.

One of the greatest expenses you will have is the press. As you have already figured I guess there are many designs and brands. They will all make quality ammunition. You can buy brand new or used. Most of these things are over built and will last lifetimes so don't be put off about buying a used one.

Being that you state you'd be looking at mostly smaller caliber rifle, 22-250, 243 and 223 a single stage will be a very good choice or the Lee Classic Cast Turret press because it will reliably handle those rifle rounds. Next 2 biggest expense will be dies and scales. I suggest a good old used Ohaus beam scale, they were branded as Ohaus, RCBS and Lyman. Models include 502, 505, 5-10, 10-10 and D5. There are other beam scales that are just as good but these are the ones I know. Lastly are manuals. The one you already have is a good one.
Old January 26, 2019, 09:58 PM   #20
dahermit

Powder
Brass
Primers
and one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LEE-LOADER-30-30-30-30-Winchester-Hand-Reloading-Reload-Die-Set/132929110333?hash=item1ef331413d:g:b~kAAOSwiudcSQlr:rk:1f:0
Old January 26, 2019, 10:20 PM   #21
Nube

I think I know a little, just enough to be dangerous, but I'm not sure that this is what I need-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LEE...dcSQlr:rk:1f:0. ........... But if you say so? In reality if I decide to go ahead with this I will probably go with RCBS or Hornady I know not the cheapest, but I haven't head very much bad about them. (So Far) Thanks again for the replies and the offers to help. I might be going to a gun show tomorrow and was curious as to what a "set" of reloading equipment might be worth used. I know what Cabelas wants for new, but no idea what used would be worth.
edited for grammer
Old January 27, 2019, 12:59 AM   #22
big al hunter

I have seen used gear around here advertised for as much or more than new. I have also seen used for half of new. If you get used gear look it over and make sure there is no rust or scratches on the moving parts of the press, particularly the ram. Same goes for inside the dies. Most of the gear will Outlast my lifetime of use and probably my kids too. If you have the opportunity to take a photo and post it here we can help with what to look at.
Old January 27, 2019, 06:44 AM   #23
Bfglowkey

The key to reloading is to simply focus on the task at hand....if your sizing brass then don't think about priming, size the brass and pay attention to how the press feels etc.

Reloading is a great time sink for us retired folk and you will see your process improve and refine with each batch you create. I think the hardest part was setting up the die for the first time....Hornady helps with this by making the lock n load system....set it once and swap out instantly to a new caliber.

Keep to the basic recipes in the manuals first. Once you begin understanding your burn rates, rifles preferences and brass prep you will be ready to start maximizing your loads even more.

HAVE FUN! Enjoy the new angle of your hobby. Stay away from rabbit holes lol!
Old January 27, 2019, 07:33 AM   #24
zeke

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-reloading-kit

One of many kits available. Could add a basic trimmer, set of calipers and powder trickler.
Old January 27, 2019, 07:56 AM   #25
big al hunter

Quote:
I think I know a little, just enough to be dangerous, but I'm not sure that this is what I need-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LEE...dcSQlr:rk:1f:0. ....
The link you have is for 30/30 die set. Unless you plan on loading 30-30 win, that is useless for you. And it is missing something from one of the slots in the foam block.

You will need separate die sets for each caliber you load for. In bottle neck cases like .243, .223, 22-250 it should be 2 dies in the set minimum. A resizing die that performs 2 functions in one. Sizing the brass and decapping. The second die seats the bullet to depth and applies a crimp to the bullet. Some of the sets from Lee also include a factory crimp die. It is not needed for most applications but could be handy for certain guns.

This link is to a 2 die set. The circle to the left of the dies is a shell holder. Be forewarned, the Hornady American die sets do not come with a case to store them in.
If you buy RCBS dies you will need to purchase the shell holder separately. http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/horna...ifle-2-die-set