The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2016, 12:23 PM   #26
Lee6113

Quote:
To answer some of your questions, my pistol is a Glock 19. My shotgun is a Remington 870 HD model (desigend for home defense). I shoot them once a week at my local range for practice.
Do you have restricted capacity to 10 rounds?

If so, perhaps buying a lighter weight handgun that won't be cumbersome to carry around the house might work? My wife has a SIG p938 that holds 7+1 9mm and I could pocket carry it if I'm wearing a jacket. And I saw a dude yesterday open carrying it in a tiny little OWB holster and it was barely noticeable even open carrying.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
Old September 25, 2016, 12:35 PM   #27
K_Mac

There is a world of difference in carrying a gun as part of your daily routine, and living in a walled compound. I think perimeter security is fine for those who choose it. I do not. Carrying a gun is my compromise. To each his own.
Old September 25, 2016, 12:48 PM   #28
briandg

I don't feel a need to carry in the home. I have a .357 eight feet away on a shelf. rifle, shotgun in closets, pistols in all bedrooms, in basement. The only places that I don't have almost instant access to weapons is in my kitchen or the half bath off of the kitchen.

Sure, I should carry at all times, it is the rational thing to do if I would follow the logic that there is absolutely no telling when the lightning will strike. Sometimes I do keep a pistol in my pocket all of the time, not always.

My home is a tactical weirdness. As long as I can make it to basement or second floor, the only way anyone can hurt us is to burn the place down. Both stairways are covered absolutely and perfectly, leaving me protected and the intruder exposed completely for several seconds before reaching a dangerous position.

Weigh your vulnerabilities in every place in the house, keep a weapon handy if possible. as was said, though, the safest place to keep a gun is right there in a holster on your body, UNLESS right there on your body is going to be a bad idea at the time.
Old September 25, 2016, 05:05 PM   #29
FireForged

I think the whole issue of using a handgun to fight your way to another weapon is a poor plan. If you don't want to fight with a pistol, don't.. we are talking about HD were size and weight is generally a non-issue. Realistically speaking, armed conflicts are over rather quickly (seconds)and what you start out with is probably what you will end it with. The whole idea of fighting to your long gun is an idiom, I don't think it is intended to be taken literally. It simply fosters the general idea that a long gun is superior to a hand gun. My primary HD weapon is a full size 6 shot revolver.. I am fine with that.
Old September 25, 2016, 06:11 PM   #30
SocialAnarchist

When home I always have a gun either on me or within arms reach. When I am gone my wife has a gun within arms reach all the time.

We live at the edge of a small rural village with a county park within a 1/4 mile of our house. I have had people get stuck in the park, or have car trouble and come to my house at all hours of the day and night. The park used to have a reputation as a drinking and drugging party place. Have I had a bad experience so far? Nope, but better prepared and never have to act than have to act and not be prepared.
Old September 25, 2016, 07:08 PM   #31
marines6433

I carry everywhere. OP, sorry about your luck in California...won't be long and they will be taking your guns.

The only time I don't carry on my person at home, is when I am in my "night" clothes. I keep my carry gun right beside me none the less. Years ago when the kids were smaller, I did not do this, but don't have to worry about this now.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:41 AM   #32
P5 Guy

I Live Alone

My G34 is by my side. When I go about the house I carry it with me, I do not wear it just bring it where I am.
Old September 26, 2016, 12:31 PM   #33
Darkstar888

My Walther P99c QA and backup mag are in my waistband every moment I'm awake. And my Mossberg 590A1 is within reach of my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 27, 2016, 12:26 PM   #34
Jleonard

I don't carry at home.
If I had to carry at home I would move.
Old September 27, 2016, 03:24 PM   #35
Snyper

Quote:
I don't carry at home.
The problem there is you're mistakenly assuming one place is safer than another.

It doesn't much matter where you live, unless you have 24 hour security guards, a deadly threat can present itself at a moments notice.
Old September 27, 2016, 04:47 PM   #36
FITASC

Quote:
The problem there is you're mistakenly assuming one place is safer than another.

It doesn't much matter where you live, unless you have 24 hour security guards, a deadly threat can present itself at a moments notice.
While true, one must take into account where you live as regards the chance that a horde of armed invaders will be breaking down your door. Where I live, the odds are extremely low; on another side or town miles away, the odds are a little greater. Now, if I lived in a major urban area with high crime rates, I would have a different view, along with a big dog.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 27, 2016, 05:20 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

All the folks who are running to their guns scattered all over the house, need to time their response to a break-in vs. the entry speed. You will be surprised how you don't get there.

Also, for the nice area folks - just say Petit family murders.

Last using your handgun to fight to your rifle - that's a nice gun world cliche. I had a guy tell me that he would fire in a spray and pray all his shots from a 9mm to get to his AR.

So, that tells me you can't shoot and you don't understand that you are responsible for your rounds.

Learn how to shoot your handgun. Yes, you can shoot well as you go to your safe room for the cannons but try to hit with your initial shots.
Old September 27, 2016, 05:50 PM   #38
Snyper

Quote:
While true, one must take into account where you live as regards the chance that a horde of armed invaders will be breaking down your door. Where I live, the odds are extremely low; on another side or town miles away, the odds are a little greater. Now, if I lived in a major urban area with high crime rates, I would have a different view, along with a big dog.
The "odds" may be low, but things can still happen.
It's foolish to not be prepared.

The threat isn't always human invaders.
Assuming you are "safe" due to location is a fantasy.
Old September 27, 2016, 06:12 PM   #39
shafter

There's nothing wrong with carrying around the house if your house hasn't been hardened sufficiently to give you time to reach your weapon. I feel safe enough in my house where I don't think that's necessary. Being prepared is never wrong.

I don't buy into the whole fight your way to your shotgun thing. When the front door crashes in you're going to engage and put the threat down right then and there. Not engage in a running gunfight to the gun safe. If you're in bed you'll grab whatever you leave handy for such an event.
Old September 27, 2016, 06:45 PM   #40
michael t

I live in country 30 min for Sheriff would be quick . I am armed on my person from time I get up to go to bed. My house is a 100+ years old and my front door and what would be my back door are close together One into living room other into dining room . I am sitting at desk that looks toward front door and rear door is at my right maybe 6'.
Old September 27, 2016, 07:00 PM   #41
gunnre

Very good food for thought. Typically I don't carry around the home. On the weekends I may only because it's easier to just run the errands on the weekend and not have to go in and IWB. It's a Shield 9 with the MIC trigger guard. Very comfortable at 4 o clock for this right hander.
My small town neighborhood is typically abuzz with dog walkers, weekend gardners etc. and many lot line activity. However I'm aware of gun fire moving closer to my burb. Closest to home was a half mile from my house past midnight recently with a drug deal gone bad at the local Wally World. Up to this point my home defense is a P30 on the night stand and a Mossberg 500 in the corner a Lab and Mini Doxie that can wake up the place in a heartbeat. As taught in my training, I understand that wife and I just barricade in the bedroom letting intruders know I'm well armed. Who wouldn't shy back from the racking sound of 12 ga.? I'm not wealthy so material things are just that and in time get replaced.
Reading many of these post makes me think of 'situational awareness'. Do I put thought into self defense in what seems my mundane life on weekends?
Old September 27, 2016, 07:06 PM   #42
Model12Win

My Пистолет Макарова 9-mm is always at hand when I'm at home, either on the nightstand or on the table in my kitchen:

It has enough capacity, enough power, and I can shoot it very well. It is a rugged and reliable sidearm and I would have no qualms about using it to defeat an attacker.
Old September 27, 2016, 07:41 PM   #43
FITASC

Quote:
Assuming you are "safe" due to location is a fantasy.
And worrying 24/7/365 about hordes of armed invaders is paranoia.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 27, 2016, 07:54 PM   #44
Lohman446

No one is accidentally breaking into my house. The closest neighbor to s a quarter mile away so the "wrong house" thing is not a concern. The door frames are reinforced and have long throw bolts. Can it be broken into? Sure but not quietly or that quickly. Besides there is little of value here. Anyone breaking in has targeted me or my family. They will simply wait it out with a rifle and pick me off and there is no reasonable measure I can take to prevent it.

I'm sitting behind stronger than normal doors with multiple guns in quick access safes (I have young children) and literally thousands of rounds of ammo and I think some of you folks are paranoid. It's pretty impressive to clear that bar
Old September 27, 2016, 08:13 PM   #45
K_Mac

I am not worried about hordes of invaders. I live in a quiet rural area with little crime, and even less of the violent variety. I am concerned that living in a rural area at least 30 minutes from any reasonable expectation of police support, some might view my modest home as a target of opportunity. Because of that I carry a gun. I am not naive enough to think my bucolic location protects me from violence, any more than I'm convinced the apocalypse is at hand.
Old September 27, 2016, 08:30 PM   #46
Lohman446

I'm more convinced that, absent human trafficking, anyone who thinks there is enough of anything valuable here to attempt an invasion into an occupied home is incompetent
Old September 27, 2016, 09:19 PM   #47
K_Mac

Quote:
I'm more convinced that, absent human trafficking, anyone who thinks there is enough of anything valuable here to attempt an invasion into an occupied home is incompetent
I would agree that most violent thugs may be incompetent in just about every aspect of life. Home invasions happen regularly though. They may not be looking for money. Maybe they know you own guns. Maybe they need place to hide. Maybe they want your wife, or kids. I don't know what makes psychopaths or sociopaths tick. I know they are out there though. Carrying a gun costs me nothing. It is not a burden and there is no downside in my opinion whether I ever need it or not.
Old September 27, 2016, 10:30 PM   #48
briandg

It's actually surprising how many home invasions happen in this small town. About twenty years ago a double execution occurred a block away from my home. The killer later killed his girlfriend in front of her children when she opened her door. He was with the TulsA bloods. A few years ago a man was killed in his apartment. Just this year two occurred, a family, who were unharmed, at the second one, a guy found a hidden gun and killed one of the invaders.

Random events happen. There are going to be more of these things in cities full of monsters. They happen less frequently here. That isn't meaning it's safe, drop your guard, whatever, but don't spend your life worrying about it. If you are going to take precautions, don't do it halfway.

If a person is sitting at his couch watching football with the door unlocked and no weapon at all nearby, he's living in denial. Quite person must take good, solid security measures, and imo, that includes a primary weapon in any place that can be a trap. Wearing a handgun isn't out of that equation, but as I sit here I'm about six feet from my front door, and a gun is on my mantle.

If you have primary weapons at all places, you won't have to run for a rifle. A handgun is in fact, a primary weapon, and it should be treated as one. Train with it and use it as if there is nothing else. Stand your ground and do the job, rather than think of it as being of secondary importance.

For example, don't keep the derringer by the phone and the real guns down the hall.

We can exhaust our brains planning and speculating, but the simple answer is to have the gun wherever you might need one. in a holster on your hip is as good a place as any. A shower gun in the closet is clearly defective if the goons are between you and the closet.
Old September 27, 2016, 10:41 PM   #49
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
FITASC

And worrying 24/7/365 about hordes of armed invaders is paranoia.
I don't worry about hordes of invaders and your comment is kind of snotty and dismissive.

I don't wait in panic every day waiting for my house to burn down either but I have smoke detectors, a fire extinguisher, and an escape ladder to get put of our second story bed room if necessary. I have planned ahead for this possible contingency.

By the same token I do not wait in panic nor am I paranoid about a potential home invasion but as I mentioned earlier I am in close proximity to a county park that has a partying and drug use reputation. I have had visitors from that park as late as 0100 that have had some sort of trouble in the park. I do not answer the door at that hour without a gun in my hand. Not visible to those at the door, but I have it. Maybe people at your door that late at night is a normal thing, but here it is not. So I answer the door prepared. That is not paranoia that's smart when even in our small rural area there have been murders.
Old September 28, 2016, 06:56 AM   #50
Jleonard

Quote:
I don't carry at home.

It doesn't much matter where you live, unless you have 24 hour security guards, a deadly threat can present itself at a moments notice
Not really, I think it's a matter of risk assessment. Mine is low right now. Very low.
Heck, I rarely lock my house.
Now if the situation changes, I can change, but currently I don't feel the need.