The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2021, 09:17 AM   #1
Georgian

Springfield Hellcat and XDM Elite Series

Hey yall. I recently switched my EDC to a Hellcat earlier this year from a M&P9 2.0 subcompact and have never looked back. The Hellcat handles and shoot great....I shoot it much more accurately and it seems easier for me to shoot well. I absolutely love the sights and the fit/finish/machining is some of the best I have seen on any modern handgun, this goes for the XDM Elite as well.

After carrying the Hellcat, I fell completely into the XD/XDM rabbit hole. I can not believe I waited so long to try one of these handguns. At this point, I have owned and carried at one time or another the following:

Glock 19/19X

M&P9 Gen 1, M&P9 2.0 standard and 5"

Sig P320 Carry

The Glocks were Glocks, they worked. The M&Ps all handled better for me and that was also the case for the P320. I ditched my P320 as it would not reliably run steel case ammo. The M&Ps, although nice, still left me wanting more. I then stumbled upon the Hellcat, bought one and LOVED it. I can't say enough nice things about this; the machining and fit/finish is as good or better than anything domestically produced.

I then purchased a XDM Elite 3.8 9mm, and again immediately fell in love. The flat trigger is awesome both in feel, reset, and overtravel. It shoots flat and is extremely accurate, not to mention it points naturally for me when I press out to the target from the draw. Both the Hellcat and XDM have been ultra reliable with anything I run through it. Also, I found the sights very easy to change on my XDM with a sight pusher, and the factory notches both the front and rear dovetails, giving you a visible guide to center the sights without having to "eyeball" it.

As a result, I just ordered an XDM Elite 4.5 9mm, as I wanted more of a long slide variant, but decided against the 5.25 model due to the lightening cut on top of the slide (potential ingress point for contaminants. I will do a a full work up range session when it arrives. I am stoked! Anyone else loving the Elite series?

God Bless

Last edited by Georgian; November 28, 2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old November 29, 2021, 12:02 AM   #2
Mosin44az

Have a buddy who is a competitive shooter and uses XD/ XDm series for that and for carry/ personal defense. Speaks highly of the brand and model. I like them too. Pretty reliable, handle recoil better than most of their competition.
Old November 29, 2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm a self-admitted Springfield fanboi (is that how the younger generations spell it, now?).

I have the older generation XD40 Service model with a lot of work done on it. I had them upgrade the trigger. When Robar was in business, they sent out the frame for a grip treatment. It has close to the highest round count in all of my handguns.

I have the XD-M Elite OSP 4.5 FDE on layaway at the moment. That will make, I believe, my 6th Springfield product.

They make great firearms and their customer service is second to none.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 29, 2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Groundhog34

I have a XDM E 45 It is extremely accurate and 100% reliable. It is a little too big for EDc
Revelation 13:11
Old November 30, 2021, 06:11 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I love the Hellcat, I added an MCARBO trigger kit and just added a SeeAll sight to it. I haven’t shot it with the new sight yet but have been dry firing it to get used to it. It’s clearly going to take some getting used to, if I don’t like it I’ll just go back to the excellent original sight. The SeeAll sight was on sale for half price so I figured what the heck I’ll give it a try.
Old November 30, 2021, 10:30 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

If you get a chance to shoot the Sig P365...I found the shooting experience just better in every way...and it's smaller.

And since it isn't the same as a P320, you don't have to fall down a buying "rabbit hole"
Old December 2, 2021, 08:34 AM   #7
stephen426

I am also a big fan of the Hellcat and it is my primary carry gun. I had a Glock 43 before, but Springfield found a way to cram an extra 5 rounds in almost the same package. While I carried 2 spare mags with the +2 extenders for the Glock, but that got me to a total of 23 rounds. With the Hellcat, I carry with the stock 11 round mag in the gun and the two 13 round mags, for a total of 38 rounds. Springfield released 15 round mags for the Hellcat which is the same capacity as the Glock 19.

I do wish there were more aftermarket parts to customize and "improve" the gun, but Glock wins in that department hands down. I know the stock Glock is fine for most people, but I changed the connector and trigger on my 43.

I did try the XDm in .45 ACP but was not impressed. I ended up selling it to a friend who wanted it.
Old December 2, 2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I also have a friend who is wall to wall XD for all purposes, match and carry.
I really like his XDm 5.25 Match + PRP and would choose it over the other striker fired 9mms I have seen.
Old December 4, 2021, 08:03 AM   #9
PSP

I own both the Hellcat, an OSP model with a Sig Romeo 0 optic, and a XDm Elite 5.25 45acp. Both pistols have proven to be outstanding in reliability and accuracy. Two well made guns one can have confidence in.

Last edited by PSP; December 7, 2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old December 5, 2021, 11:15 AM   #10
NeverEnough

Love my Hellcat as well. Went from XD40SC to the Hellcat for EDC & zero regrets
Old December 7, 2021, 02:08 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
I do wish there were more aftermarket parts to customize and "improve" the gun, but Glock wins in that department hands down. I know the stock Glock is fine for most people, but I changed the connector and trigger on my 43.
That's one HUGE thing Glock has going for them. They absolutely OWN the aftermarket sector.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting