The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 29, 2021, 02:47 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Do aftermarket mags work better in blowback PCC's?

Since this related to pistol magazines I figure it belongs in the handgun section.

I've found that Magpul, ETS, and even complete mags with no brand name on them run flawless in a couple PCC's I have, yet the ETS mags have had issues in Glock pistols.

I recently received a free KCI Glock 19 mag in an online order SNAFU and it fits into a 9mm PCC I have. I didn't know the KCI mags were metal lined on the inside, which is great as I was going to buy a real Glock mag as I've been having issues with Winchester steel case 9mm not working right when I load them into polymer only Magpul and ETS mags. I have no issues with Tula or brass ammo in those mags, so I figure the Winchester steel prefers a steel lined mag.

Now, I don't want to make this solely a Glock magazine topic, but have any here ever tried aftermarket magazines and found them to work better in a blowback PCC compared to the handguns that also use those magazines?

Also, has anyone had a positive experience with KCI Glock mags?
Old January 30, 2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Nanuk

I found it the other way with my guns. ETS mags work fine in the pistol, but not the PCC. Factory Glock mags work anywhere.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 30, 2021, 10:06 AM   #3
MarkCO

ETS will run for a while, then the crap spring needs to be replaced and they will generally run fine in pistols and PCCs. But in general, PCCs are more apt to malfunction than Glock pistols, so yeah, agree with Nanuk, Glock mags are best for the PCCs.
Old January 30, 2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Don P

One, it sounds like ammo issues and maybe I'm lucky but my ETS mags run like a scalded cat in my PCC's and Glocks
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 30, 2021, 12:19 PM   #5
dogtown tom

A $22 Glock magazine is a bargain compared to a $12 Magpul/ETS/KCI.

Glock mags are notoriously reliable, the Magpul/ETS/KCI are not.
I've owned Magpul/ETS/KCI and they are range use only.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 30, 2021, 04:20 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post

Speak for yourself, I've had zero issues with Magpul Glock mags.
Old January 30, 2021, 05:48 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Depends on the PCC, pistol, and/or the aftermarket mag. I've personally never had success in running the Asian mags with Russian ammo. Always had a difficult time loading aftermarket Glock mags by Magpul to full capacity. Magpul Glock mags will bulge and will become non-drop-free fully loaded. Have a TNW survival PCC that takes Glock mags and that one has never failed to eat out of any mag - OEM or aftermarket. Guessing it has something to do with the slow cycle time as a result of its super stiff buffer spring. Gimme OEM any day.
Old January 30, 2021, 08:45 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Depends on the PCC, pistol, and/or the aftermarket mag. I've personally never had success in running the Asian mags with Russian ammo. Always had a difficult time loading aftermarket Glock mags by Magpul to full capacity. Magpul Glock mags will bulge and will become non-drop-free fully loaded. Have a TNW survival PCC that takes Glock mags and that one has never failed to eat out of any mag - OEM or aftermarket. Guessing it has something to do with the slow cycle time as a result of its super stiff buffer spring. Gimme OEM any day.
Really? I've been thinking of a TNW 10mm carbine and all I have for 10mm mags is Glock brand, so hearing this is not giving me confidence.
Old January 31, 2021, 07:24 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
TruthTellers
Quote:
Quote:

Speak for yourself, I've had zero issues with Magpul Glock mags.
I'm not just speaking for myself. There are numerous negative reports on Magpul Glock magazines since they first came out.

You asked for opinions and now that you have a few you say "speak for yourself"? If you just want people to pat you on the back and say "you right" then put "only those that agree with me should respond" in the subject line.

Typical

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 1, 2021, 04:53 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
I'm not just speaking for myself. There are numerous negative reports on Magpul Glock magazines since they first came out.

You asked for opinions and now that you have a few you say "speak for yourself"? If you just want people to pat you on the back and say "you right" then put "only those that agree with me should respond" in the subject line.

Typical
I've heard of numerous issues with the ETS mags, experienced some myself, so I believe them, but you're the first I've seen have issue with the Magpul mags.

Not saying it's not possible, but it's not common either.

So, specifics my dear boy! What gun(s) were you shooting these mags in?
Old February 1, 2021, 10:38 AM   #11
Onward Allusion

Let me be the "second" person . . . Magpul Glock mags will have their feed lips wear from use. Not a problem for range use. They also start bulging when loaded to capacity. To the point where they are not as drop-free as OEM. Again, not an issue for range use. Finally, if you have a backstrap plug on your block, Magpul Glock mags may not insert fully and lock because they have slightly bigger floorplate than OEM.

Personally, for SD purposes, I rely on nothing but OEM or Mec Gar. Yes, I have a good number of aftermarket Glock mags (Asian military, Magpul, & KCI) for RANGE use.
Old February 1, 2021, 10:45 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Really? I've been thinking of a TNW 10mm carbine and all I have for 10mm mags is Glock brand, so hearing this is not giving me confidence.
Never had a problem with the carbine. It's the 9mm version. My guess is that they don't change the buffer spring for different calibers - 357/40/10mm/45, hence the close ejection of the spent case.
Old February 1, 2021, 02:41 PM   #13
dogtown tom

TruthTellers
Quote:
I've heard of numerous issues with the ETS mags, experienced some myself, so I believe them, but you're the first I've seen have issue with the Magpul mags.
You must not have looked very hard because Magpul recognised a problem five years ago: https://www.facebook.com/magpul/post...8732774139072/

Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=magp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote:
Not saying it's not possible, but it's not common either.
I'm the first with an issue and you also believe its not common?
Its SO COMMON that its not really a secret that Magpul Glock mags are "range use" only on nearly every gun forum.

Quote:
So, specifics my dear boy! What gun(s) were you shooting these mags in?
Glock 26/19/17/17L