The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Kayser

Garand brass gaging issue.

I noticed a weird phenomenon when running once-fired (Garand) brass through a Wilson gage after resizing. Basically, about 15% of the cases would fail to plop all the way in to the gage. They would protrude so much that it couldn't just be a case of true "no go".

At first I thought that maybe the necks were getting a little bent past the shoulder from extraction, causing them to sort of get wedged partways down in the gage. But I figured that after running through the resizing die that probably was unlikely. Some further investigation turned up that the rims themselves were getting dinged up enough that they would get caught on the lip of the gage. Little nicks and burrs. So I tried some light filing on the rims that had this problem and voila, they plop right into the gage.

Is this normal for the Garand? Also, is a little light filing kosher? We're talking just a teeny tiny bit. No real dimensional change on the rim.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2
maggys drawers

Garand extraction/ejection can be a little "vigorous" on brass. I think it was because spent brass was never meant to be reloaded, so no reason to care about it's condition.

A little kiss with a file won't hurt anything, done it a few times myself.
Old October 9, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Slamfire

Quote:
Is this normal for the Garand? Also, is a little light filing kosher? We're talking just a teeny tiny bit. No real dimensional change on the rim.
This has happened to me on Garands and M1a's. Taking a bit off the rim to verify shoulder set back would be perfectly acceptable to me. Getting the case headspace correct, that is a couple of thousandth's below the chamber size, is more safety critical than a little bit of rim.

Assuming that the case lacking that little bit of rim does not cause extraction problems. Which it can. I had issues with 284 Win brass sized to fit the 7.5 Swiss rifle. My cases would fall off the bolt face because the 284 rim was smaller than the 7.5 Swiss and the extractor could not hold it.

If you look at these 300 creedmoor cases, the rim is well out of the pressure containing section of the brass. Weakening/thinning that area would be a no-no.

Old October 9, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
JR_Roosa

Spin the case around and put it in the gauge backwards with a twisting motion and it will smoosh the little high spots flush and then you'll hav no problem getting it to plop in all the way.

J.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Ding when chambering or extracting, The extractor/extractor case groove hook up is fast, real fast, if the extractor is not clean and not allowed to jump the extractor groove, it will 'ding;' the rim, so I would make sure the extractor was free to move when the bolt goes forward.

Dings are not normal.

F. Guffey
Old October 10, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
mrawesome22

You should be sizing the brass to your chamber, not to some one size fits all gauge.