The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
prairiedoghunter

Relative newbie crimp question

Im relativley new to reloading and have reloaded about 1000rds of .243 win ammo. I am now going to reload .204 ruger with a 40 gn vmax. My question is can you taper crimp (not full roll crimp) a bullet without a crimp channel? If so will it lead to more consistent velocities? When loading the .243 I set the bullet slightly off the lands to achieve consistent pressures but I will be reloading .204 for two rifles (my brothers and mine) and would like to be able to keep the die set for one oal. I am using lee pacesetter dies and a classic cast press.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2
jimbob86

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die on my hunting ammo...... Sierra Game Kings have no cannelure..... I found that a pretty firm crimp (makes a small "mini-cannelure" on the bullet, evident if you pull the bullet) makes for a slightly smaller Standard Deviation in my load, and does not hurt the 100 yard group size at all.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
prairiedoghunter

I would love to use the factory crimp die but I cannot since lee does not make that die for .204 ruger (yet?). Can I place a small crimp on a bullet without a cannelure using the pacesetter bullet seating and crimp die?
Old February 23, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You don't need a crimp for any reason !
Old February 23, 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

Agreed. Crimping bottleneck rifle cartridges is generally not necessary. For some reason, it is fashionable to do so, but probably not necessary. Some folks say it is mandatory for semi-auto rifles, but I don't shoot those, so I can't opine on that. It's a real good idea to do it for tubular magazines of course. I started out loading big bore revolvers and put a heavy crimp on all of them because I was told to do so. It seemed odd to not do a crimp at all for rifles, but it works that way. The more I load even for revolvers, the more I realize that even a mild crimp is good enough there.

Simplify your life by applying the most gentle crimp you can get away with, or perhaps none at all. You'll get a more harmonious outcome.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:10 PM   #6
prairiedoghunter

Wow sounds like you guys have quite a bit of experience. I'll just go without a crimp then since im not shooting a semi auto. Ill let you know how the loads turn out. Thanks a bunch!

Tags
.204 ruger , classic cast press , crimp , pacesetter dies