The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2011, 01:56 PM   #26
F. Guffey

I have 6 seater dies with case support, one I made the others are RCBS Gold Medal and Competition seater dies with one Weatherby 257 Mag set that is smiler to the Gold Metal die set, then there is the Universal Lyman/Ideal 7 MM seater die, for the most part the dies are designed to align the bullet with the case mouth.

I do not have a seater die that comes close to touching the die when seating as evident when the mouth of the case comes in contact with the crimp portion of die, the case buckles, folds, collapse and or bulges to the point the case will not chamber in the rifle, if there was anything in the seater die that looked like case support the amount of bulge, fold, collapse would be limited.

Not sure why I would chamber a case that was fired in the same chamber, I have neck sizer dies and I have the companion tool to the press, the feeler gage, meaning I know the distance from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber before I start loading, and I have 62 chamber reamers, I ream a chamber for a rifle, then I make a chamber gage for that rifle, and it is not like the ones that are available for sale, the ones I make are for my chambers, I know when the case fits my chamber gage I know the case will chamber in my rifle.

My press (es) shell holders and dies do not do weird things, again I make tools, the best tool is the chamber, and again I am a big fan of cutting down on all that case travel.

F. Guffey
Old February 23, 2011, 02:59 PM   #27
Shoney

error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error error v
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 23, 2011, 07:51 PM   #28
JerryM

It looks like crimp. I never crimp rifle cartridges that I load for.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.