The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2011, 10:59 AM   #26
dlb435

My reloading area takes up 25 square feet. (5'X5') That is enough space for two presses, shells, bullets, primers, powder, scales, press parts and loaded rounds. That also includes the space for me to work in. The reloading bench is 2'X4' and is just big enough to get the job done.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:16 AM   #27
duck911

My "bench" is a super-portable home made job that can be set up ANYWHERE.

I usually use it on the kitchen table:

Old February 5, 2011, 02:11 PM   #28
COSteve

As far as a reloading bench is concerned, my 1½" thick, 6' x 2' top I added to this old desk is about as small as I'd consider efficient. I've found that I need to keep things neat to efficiently use the small space but after 135,000rds of 8 calibers, I'm happy with the layout. The other issue you'll need to address is where do you store all the other things you use like components, finished ammo, tumbler media, etc.?

Old February 5, 2011, 02:26 PM   #29
chris in va

I do it in my easy chair.
Old February 6, 2011, 04:18 PM   #30
BigJakeJ1s

For a bench located up against two walls in the corner of a room, you need more bench area than one that is only up against one wall, and still more than a bench that is located in the middle of the room, away from any wall. Think about bench space in terms of accessible "frontage" space. I reload very easily on a bench that is only about 22" by 28", but I have access to all four sides (including the shelves below). Mine is on heavy duty casters, so it rolls out when I need it, and back into its corner when I don't.

Andy
Old February 6, 2011, 04:29 PM   #31
Zildjian

Portable table

Heres mine built out of plate 5/16 steel and 2" pipe. It swivels back to front
or whichever station I need to work on. Pretty stable and works for me in my bedroom. Right now its handy because the weather outside is cold wet and nasty. Moved from my storage building inside.
Attachment 67120

Last edited by Zildjian; February 17, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:19 PM   #32
700cdl

After many years of having to keep my loading mobile and portable, I finally have a whole room dedicated to my hobby. I never realized just how much space it consumes until having the luxury to unpack it all, mount it all, and provide shelving to stock supplies and brass on. It's so nice to have everything ready to use and easily at hand.
Old February 6, 2011, 06:19 PM   #33
sc928porsche

All the money I save on reloading 30-378, 300WM, 260 Rem, etc. is spent on 44mag, 9mm, and 45acp!!! Its not uncomon for me to go through a thousand rounds or so on a range day. Reloading just make your shooting hobby more enjoyable. Not only are you spending more time at the range, you get to spend a lot of time making up the ammunition. I find the reloading and shooting is much more enjoyable than bar hopping.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:09 PM   #34
JayCee

I've never liked the idea of a bench fully devoted to reloading. It takes up too much space that I've got other uses for and it looks untidy. I also don't like all my reloading gear bolted down, since I like to reload at the range:

Occasionally, I'll find myself at the cabin or someplace else where I want to be able to put together and test a few loads. For those times, I take along a portable kit consisting of a Lee hand press, Lee scale, Lee dippers, and an RCBS hand priming device.

This kit contains everything I need for first class reloads and packs into a Doskocil pistol case.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old February 6, 2011, 07:25 PM   #35
WANT A LCR 22LR

My Lee 1000 is bolted to a short piece of 3" angle then clamped into the bench vise. This way it can be put away when not in use. In any event, be sure to have a surdy mounting with a progressive press as the operator must have good feedback. If mounted on a springy surface the operator will things like a flipped primer or other issue.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:22 PM   #36
sserdlihc

Shootin Chef I use a spare bedroom for my reloading. A friend gave me an old kitchen island with storage and drawers that I use for my work station. It worked out great and saved me alot of time constructing something from scratch. I have my Lee single stage mounted on it along with my powder measure.

One thing that I have learned is to save all the plastic jars you can, Jiff peanut butter jars, Dukes mayonaise jars and the like, make great containers to store tumbled brass.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:05 AM   #37
700sage

While it doesn't have to take up that much space I've found it's nice to have a dedicated space and some privacy when reloading. That's why I have a shed in the backyard that is dedicated to reloading. It's insulated and has a heater for the winter. I believe it's 14'X10' and I have a bench along both lengths. One is set up for reloading the other is set up for casting bullets. I also have many items that I just attach temporarily with a C-clamp. I can spend days in the shed just goofing off.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:20 PM   #38
Dave R

For the first several years I reloaded, I kept all my gear in a Rubbermaid tub, and just clamped the press to the picnic table outside, or the kitchen table inside, as weather permitted. So maybe 4 sq. ft.

Now I've graduated to a dedicated desk. Just a plain ol' used office desk, with the press clamped on it, and my gear in the drawers. So now, maybe 10 sq. ft.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:33 PM   #39
silvercorvette

This is as small as it gets, before I got this sears tool table I bought a Frankford arsenal table that cost a lot more than this but when it arrived from Midway it turned out to be a flimsy piece of plastic junk. I got this a long time ago but if I remember correctly it is rated to hold 300 pounds, I weigh about 250 and stood on it to test it, it is rock solid and I am pretty sure it cost less than half of the Midway bench