The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 25, 2019, 05:19 PM   #1
pturner67

Banning 9mm guns

Not wanting this to be a political post.

But has anyone heard of a speech Biden made last week at a fundraiser where is asked “Why should we allow people to have military-style weapons including pistols with 9mm bullets and can hold 10 or more rounds?”

It's all over the web but not being reported on major news websites.

Is there any legal backing to restrict or ban 9mm? The tests show there is no penetration of police armor.

Here's one of the many many links to the coverage:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...an-9mm-pistols
Old November 25, 2019, 06:22 PM   #2
FITASC

Well, I just bought another 1000 riunds via the internet to add to my stash and I plan on doing it as regularly as possible because we never know what might happen in the next year.

Just like the last panics, the time to stock up is NOW, not later
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 25, 2019, 06:51 PM   #3
American Man

He's trying to be a wise guy in that article with his crack about Canadian geese having more protection than people have but what did California democrats do for Kate Steinle?... besides do everything they could to let Kate Steinle's killer off the hook with no convictions.

I'm with FITASC... just keep beefing up ammo supplies. I have definitely learned from the Obama years and will never get low on any supplies ever again. These past few years have been fantastic.
Old November 25, 2019, 07:51 PM   #4
rickyrick

I have heard that some countries ban military calibers specifically.

During the 08 panic I was one of those without ammunition

I keep a fairly large stockpile since then. I am actually unsure about the total amount of ammunition that I have. I lost count years ago.
Old November 25, 2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Sharkbite

[QUOTE][/I have heard that some countries ban military calibers specifically[QUOTE]

Mexico is a good example of that. No 9mm, 45acp and a bunch of others. Thats one of the reasons for the popularity of 38Super.
Old November 25, 2019, 08:27 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

There are several countries that prohibit "military caliber" firearms. Many are in Central and South America.

Doesn't seem to fix their problems....

Back in the late 70s or early 80s there was a NY politician that pushed for an 5000% tax on 9mm ammo. Needless to say it didn't fly.

Judging by the words from his own mouth, Biden's grasp of both Constitutional Law and common sense are somewhat ..lacking..is the nicest thing I can say.
Old November 25, 2019, 08:46 PM   #7
zxcvbob

He might could ban the import of 9mm ammo by executive fiat by declaring it has no sporting use.
Old November 26, 2019, 09:10 AM   #8
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I have heard that some countries ban military calibers specifically.
Brazil..why the Glock 25 and 28 exist there and not here...380..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 26, 2019, 09:37 AM   #9
JN01

Biden is clueless, especially about anything gun related. Like many gun haters, he throws random terminology into his rantings because he thinks it will make it seem like he is on top of the issue.
Old November 26, 2019, 11:59 AM   #10
JWT

Wait till Bloomberg gets going. He really hates guns of any type.
Old November 26, 2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Ben Dover

Typical bananna republic thinking.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 26, 2019, 12:11 PM   #12
FITASC

Not quite; Bloomberg loves the guns his personal bodyguards carry, even the full auto ones.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 27, 2019, 04:01 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I believe the elitist mindset on guns goes something like this,

guns in the hands of people they believe they own (police and military they command, and their private paid security forces) are a necessary evil. Guns in the hands of everyone else are just evil, and need to be legislated out of existence.

May not be the way they actually think, but it is the way they appear to act.

And, its not a new thing....

Anyone remember when one of Sen Kennedy's private bodyguards got busted for carrying an Uzi into the Capitol building?

No??

Probably because when Capitol security grabbed him, the good Senator marched across the street to the Treasury building and made sure no charges were ever filed.....

Orwell was entirely correct, some animals are more equal than others...
Old November 27, 2019, 12:47 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

Heh, yeah, let's go the way of them Banana Republics. I wonder why even his former boss hadn't endorsed the guy?
Old November 27, 2019, 02:22 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
i will take more than this nonsense to hijack the country.
"this nonsense" has already hijacked significant portions of this country. Don't belittle their success and the odds of them expanding it. All it takes is a smooth sounding lie and gullible people to vote for them, and we have a PROVEN excess of that...
Old November 30, 2019, 05:32 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturner67 View Post
.... Is there any legal backing to restrict or ban 9mm? The tests show there is no penetration of police armor. . . .
Joe says many things. At this point, I'm unaware of any legal basis for a ban on possession. Import is a different matter. That said, I'm not sure there's much that would stop "Shotgun Joe" from trying.