The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Rookie21

Looking for info on a Cimarron USV Artillery

I’ve been trying to do some digging on the Cimarron U.S.V. Artillery Model in 45 Colt (Long Colt .. what ever). I haven’t found much other than it’s manufactured by Uberti in Italy.

Does anyone have this model? Is it a decent revolver? I only plan to do some reloading for it and plinking between short distances and anything out to 50 yards. I don’t plan to do any cowboy action shooting or any competitive shooting with it. I just want to enjoy a Colt Single Action without the price tag of a Colt.
Old August 30, 2019, 05:45 PM   #2
44caliberkid

Uberti 1873 revolvers via Cimarron are very nice pistols. I haven't had that particular model but have owned 3 Cimarron 1873 Colt pattern revolvers, all were good guns. I loaded black powder cartridges for all of them and used them in CAS matches.
Old August 30, 2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Hawg

Uberti/Cimarron's are nice guns. Uberti makes them and Cimarron imports them. I have a 5.5 inch in 44-40.
Old August 31, 2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Rookie21

Thank you for the replies. Since I've posted the thread I've had one ordered and I currently await it's arrival. If I'm correct, it's an "old" model. Meaning, it has no spring loaded base pin latch. Instead, it has a set screw that holds the base pin in place located in the front of the frame. My understanding is that this was the way the first generation Colt single actions were designed before the idea of the spring loaded latch. The spring loaded latch system seems to be the accepted method on most single actions I've seen and handled. I am anxious to receive this gun. I was able to order it at a good price too so that always makes spending the money a little less painful. Thanks again.
Old September 2, 2019, 03:57 PM   #5
Hawg

The ones with the set screw are known as black powder frames. The original Colt's went to the spring loaded latch shortly after their guns were proofed for smokeless powder. The cylinder pin is long with two notches as an additional safety. I cut mine down so it looks right and I don't have to fiddle with it to get it in right.

Old September 2, 2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Rookie21

Thanks Hawg. Thats a nice looking revolver too. So who makes that one in the picture you shared?
Old September 2, 2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Hawg

Thanks! It's a Uberti/Cimarron made in 2000. The grips are Buffalo Brothers.
Old September 4, 2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Crunchy Frog

Uberti introduced a passive safety a couple of years ago in the form of a hammer mounted retracting firing pin. In the original Colt design the firing pin is in contact with the primer if the hammer is down on a loaded chamber. Uberti calls the new design the “Cattleman II”. At one time it was said that all currently manufactured revolvers have the retracting hammer except for the ones with the “old model” or “black powder” frames, but reports now are that those revolvers are now coming with the new hammer.

Some folks don’t like the new design, in part because the gun makes three clicks on cocking instead of the traditional four. Other folks prefer the new design because it is less prone to accidental discharge (I’d wager the owner’s manual cautions against carrying the gun fully loaded anyway).

I’d recommend that any single action revolver other than a Ruger New Model be loaded with five rounds, empty chamber under the hammer.
Old September 7, 2019, 06:57 PM   #9
Rookie21

I ordered one and it showed up the other day. Sure is a beauty. I haven’t shot it yet but I will in the next couple of days. So far I’m very pleased. Trigger had some gross bumps and an odd feel to it. I’ve worked on single actions before but they were percussion models. I smoothed it some and it’s much better now. I’d upload a picture but this thing isn’t letting me ..?
Old September 7, 2019, 07:36 PM   #10
Hawg

Do yourself a favor and put a set of Wolff springs in it. I use Imgur for pictures.
Old September 7, 2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Rookie21

Hawg, thanks for the idea. I’ve used Wolff gun springs before in other firearms but not in single action revolvers. After smoothing up the trigger there’s still some travel or creep to it so there’s plenty of engagement for safety of use. It came in at two and three quarter pounds at the breaking point. What would the springs offer over the factor springs? Heavier or light trigger pull? Or perhaps smoother action?
Old September 7, 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
44 Dave

You can "adjust" the trigger spring (bend it) which is easier with Wolf's wire springs.
Old September 7, 2019, 09:21 PM   #13
Hawg

They will smooth the action up and give a little lighter trigger pull.
Old September 16, 2019, 09:54 PM   #14
Rookie21

What would be safe velocities in this gun? I’ve been reading over some 45 colt load data and I was planning on loading up some ammo that’s probably pushing around 825 FPS. There’s some information I’ve read that says reproduction guns can’t handle hotter velocities and needs slower ammunition. Is 825 slow enough?
Old September 17, 2019, 01:41 AM   #15
FAL'er

Now did your pistol come in as a Uberti or a Pietta?
I was unaware Uberti made a USV artillery.
But I am wrong all the time.

I'm waiting on a Cimarron (Pietta) Frontier model myself. I think it'll have the Pre war frame and not the Old model black powder frame, It'll be a surprise.

As for loads my understanding is you just can't push them to Ruger "old model" Vaquero loads. Which as I recall are Magnum ish loads.

I'll stay within published data from Alliant or Hodgdon and starting loads at that.

Last edited by FAL'er; September 17, 2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old September 17, 2019, 05:28 AM   #16
Rookie21

FAL’er - mine is a Uberti. It’s stamped Cimarron, Texas .. and Uberti Italy. Thanks. There is an idea I had as to what might shoot accurately in it - I have some 45 ACP match/target ammo that shoots really well so I though if I push a similar bullet at similar velocities maybe I can come close to similar Accuracy results. It was just a thought. So I am trying to back track from a known velocity and powder charge to a possible powder charge that could yield similar velocities. Will this work? I don’t know but I will find out. It’s gonna be close to about 825 FPS though. At least that’s what I’m trying to achieve to see what kind of results it’ll yield.
Old September 17, 2019, 10:39 PM   #17
FAL'er

I thought about using 45acp bullets, But they don't have a canelure to roll crimp into, So do I use the 45acp die to put a taper crimp on it?
I don't know.
I'm pretty new to reloading. I've maybe done 2000 pistol rounds total.
I've got RCBS dies (45 colt), brass and bullets coming. Sounds like it's gonna be a fun one to load for.

Last edited by FAL'er; September 17, 2019 at 10:49 PM.