The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2017, 09:20 AM   #1
damo450

Beretta 302. What to do with it??

Hello everyone. I have a brand new in the box beretta 302. The gun is a 3" chambered 28" barrel with a fixed Modified choke. I am not sure what to do with it! I thought about making it a trap gun. But honestly the gun hasn't been shot and I have a hard time being the one to shoot it. I know I could make a better choice of trap gun. But it is nice. I thought hard about selling it. Do ya'll think $600 is too high? The only catch is that it has an extended butt pad on it for the previous owner (6'6"). And I don't have the std.butt plate. But that is a quick fix. Like I said. It's never been shot and I am not sure it will even cycle light target loads well if at all.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:22 PM   #2
hagar

I have one, it does not like light loads. Still a great shotgun.

My Mossberg 9200 eats everything.
Old May 5, 2017, 01:51 PM   #3
FITASC

One of the better guns out there for sporting clays, pheasant hunting etc. How do you it has never been shot if it had a previous owner who went to the trouble of putting on an extended recoil pad?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 15, 2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Bwillsonhunter4

I personally think the 301, 302, and 303 are the best shotguns ever because they work. I know a guy who bought a used 303 in 1988 and he shot a lot of sporting clays back then but since then he has slowed down and still shot 2800 rounds of reigestered sporting clays last year along with a lot of practice and hunting. The only problem he had ever had is sometimes the ejector breaks but that is mainly because he shoots 3 inch goose loads in a 2 3/4 inch chamber. I honestly would not doubt that gun has over 500,000 rounds and it is still going strong. If I where you I would keep that gun
Old June 17, 2017, 07:40 AM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
he shoots 3 inch goose loads in a 2 3/4 inch chamber
Not the brightest thing to do; nothing like beating the receiver to death using that ammo.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 17, 2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Rob228

Sounds like a great upland hunting gun.