The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 25, 2019, 06:50 PM   #1
BlackPowderBen

Anyone using these bullets in your .45 LC conversion?

Hi
Had a discount card and gift card for bass pro shops, and yesterday was picking up some reloading supplies for a .45 LC conversion in my 58 remington. They had some lead flat point bullets from hornady, .454" 255 grain cowboy bullets. Ended up picking up a box.
Anyone use these for reloading in your .45 LC conversions? If not, anyone got a good recommendation?
I shoot black powder so much I never really did much with reloading until now. Going to be loading black powder rounds in the 800 FPS range btw.
Link below to the exact kind of bullets: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...817&cm_vc=S015

Thanks
Old August 25, 2019, 07:51 PM   #2
DockRock

Yes, I have used them in an R&S conversion cyl and in a pair of Uberti Schofields.

What are you intending to use them for? For any volume shooting, their relatively heavy weight and very light lubing are diminishing factors. It's a good design and they perform well in my revolvers over 30 grs of 3F, but I stopped using them for CAS fairly quickly due to cost, weight, and insufficient lube. For lower volume target shooting they are a good bullet and were you envisioning black powder loads in a self defense role, they are certainly a good choice.

If you are going to use them in high volume, a good dab of black powder lube under the base and a waxed card wad over powder will address the lubing issue.
Old August 26, 2019, 07:23 AM   #3
BlackPowderBen

I'm going to be using them for target shooting, probably low-medium volume, (30 ish rounds per session). Thanks