The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 27, 2019, 11:23 PM   #1
jmtbiggin

Garand ?

I have CAI M1 that is a great gun. Any legal or practical reason I cannot, shouldn't purchase a genuine barreled receiver and swap my parts over?Any gunsmithing involved? Thanks
Old November 28, 2019, 02:18 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Any legal or practical reason I cannot, shouldn't purchase a genuine barreled receiver and swap my parts over?Any gunsmithing involved?
Legally the serial # part (the receiver) IS the firearm. The rest is just parts, and parts is parts, except to certain collectors.

You will need someone with the right gauges and experience to check and possibly set proper headspace if you are putting the bolt from gun A into gun B.

A possible practical reason not to swap is the possibility the parts on the gun you have are not exactly GI spec. Something worth being sure of. I'm not familiar with the CAI M1 but anything not made for govt contract COULD be slightly different. Shouldn't be but its not impossible.
Old November 28, 2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Nathan

Before you go that route, I would price compare just buying a real Garand from CMP.

They are incredible and priced pretty well for a high quality semi-auto 30-06!

You can get a service grade for $750 and a special for $1050...looks like they will be Springfield’s...most common, but best shooters.

Those prices are what we called stealing in my youth!

Last edited by Nathan; November 28, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old November 28, 2019, 11:12 AM   #4
jmtbiggin

I have thought about CMP, but no affiliated clubs in my area. All the genuine shooter grades are CMP guns marked up on GB. My CAI is great, just isn't real deal.
Old November 28, 2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Not a problem....
There are Garand associations you can join by email and qualify to buy from the CMP.

Check their web site for approved clubs and organizations.

Be aware that CAI (Century Arms International) assembled rifles with used and sometimes very worn parts that may have been refinished to look better then they are.
Their "gunsmiths" have a rather bad reputation for botched work.

Assembling these suspect parts to a good barreled receiver may be very problematic, and it's very likely some of your parts will be unusable.

Given a choice I'd consider selling the CAI rifle and buying a good M1 from the CMP.
Not only will you get a good rifle, if there's a problem they'll make it right.

Last edited by Dfariswheel; November 28, 2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old November 28, 2019, 09:47 PM   #6
jmtbiggin

The CAI is no junk, been shooting it for years, harvested a fine whitetail yesterday with it. Accurate, and reliable. Will look into a " mail order club". Most likely I will keep my CAI. I don't like selling. Will probably not try the barreled receiver route either. By the time I purchase, pay for skilled labor, I almost good a M1. Was just thinking aloud when posed my question.
Old November 29, 2019, 06:08 AM   #7
eastbank

I had three cia assembled rifles and all three had problems for the very start, the last one was a French 49/56 they turned into a single shot most of the time. I,m glad you got a good one. the monkeys must have been on vacation when yours was assembled.
Old November 29, 2019, 02:20 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...swap my parts over..." All of 'em except the bolt were designed to be 100% interchangeable between rifles. The bolt requires fitting for headspace.
Century Arms International assembled milsurp rifles, of all kinds, out of parts bins, with no QC of any kind. Not even ensuring the headspace was good so the rifle is safe to shoot. You should at the very least have the head space checked.
"...My CAI is great, just isn't real deal..." How so? Just because Century cobbled it together does not mean the receiver is not genuine. Century did disassemble rifles(usually Lend/Lease stuff) for the parts, but they did not make receivers.
"...Been shooting it for years...Accurate, and reliable..." That does not mean the rifle is actually safe to shoot.