The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #26
NJgunowner

For the money Sig 1911's are better. I got my Sig 1911 for ~$800 new. It's great, better than my Springfield 1911 loaded.

Old November 5, 2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Erno86

I like my Kimber Eclipse, which has about 20,000 rounds through it. I did not like the checkered rubber back strap mainspring housing on it, so I replaced it with one made of steel. I now have a double ambi thumb safety on it, along with G-10 grips. The MIM ejector rod broke around the 15,000 round mark. I seem to find that the Wilson steel chamber brush, prevents partial failure to feed jams. I like Chip McCormick magazines.

I do have a heavy Kimber tungsten steel guide rod in it --- which controls recoil better --- but is illegal for competition.

It's reasonably accurate with Speer roundball ammo...and is very accurate with Winchester 185 grain semi wad cutters.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; November 5, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 06:51 PM   #28
kirbinster

I have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II that I bought used that I absolutely love. While one of the posters posted about stealing one for $600 I don't think you will ever find a deal that good. I got a good deal on mine, but not quite that good. I got mine with the Kimber .22LR conversion kit and five mags and a holster for $1,000 and that was a sweet deal. The list on this gun is $1289 plus another $300 for the conversion kit.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:12 PM   #29
RussB

IMHO, The Springfield Range Officer is the "value leader" in 1911's geared toward recreational shooting/shooting games right now. Their warranty is also excellent. It sells for ~$800 new
Old November 6, 2013, 11:10 PM   #30
buckfynn

I have seen a Kimber Custom II going for $650 on a local gun equivalent of craigslist. It has been listed for over a week and a half with no takers.

I bought a new Kimber Custom II when they first came out with the external extractor. After battling with Kimber for about a year, they finally sent it back to me after the thrird try to get it right with a slide that had an internal extractor. While I still have the Custom II, I doubt I would buy another Kimber. For my money there are too many other options of quality 1911's that I prefer. Keep in mind Kimber has only a one year warranty on their 1911's, while Sig, S&W, Springfield, and even Taurus have a lifetime warranty on theirs.

Tags
1911 , 45 acp , kimber