The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1
blackdog_507

1911 shopping advice?

I'm looking at buying a 1911. I'm looking to buy in the $500 range, or a shade more, and would like some nicer features, like an upgraded trigger, hammer, beavertail safety, etc. Looks like I can go cheaper and buy a used Taurus, get a new one for between $500 & $600, or I can wait and buy a nicer used springfield with some of these features in that range. Any advice between the two of these or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old October 11, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
1873Colt

Springfield GI. Get the most outa your money!
Old October 11, 2010, 11:36 PM   #3
midlandwalther

Pass on the Taurus and buy a Springfield or at the very least RIA. You can buy a RIA Tactical for less than $500.
Old October 12, 2010, 12:16 AM   #4
Mosin44az

STI Spartan looks good. Maybe 700?

Para GI Expert also. Doesn't have the nice beavertail though.

I personally would avoid the Taurus 1911, based on my own experience. The thumb safety and hammer both broke on mine after only 300 rounds. Taurus is more of a crapshoot than Springfield or Smith, or other brands. Even if their warranty service has improved, they still reinstall the same crap parts.

Rock Island has some that fit your price and have some of the features you're looking for. Don't know much about them but they have fans.

It really may be worth your while to save up until you can pay 700, given your desires. Unless you know a good gunsmith and can gamble on a used piece that looks in good shape.
Old October 12, 2010, 12:32 AM   #5
michael t

American Classic in blue or hardchrome They also make a commander model.

The deluxe blue finish should be under 500 and hardchrome just over 500. They have what your looking for in extras .
They are 1911 compatible and mine has run perfect right from start. They are made in Philippines by METRO ARMS, not Armscore . They have nothing to do with Bersa (as Buds seems to think they do He likes to list as a Bersa 1911 . Bersa does not make a 1911 period. ) They share same importer and warranty center. that all.
My self Iam wanting a Commander model in blue to go with my 5" blue Deluxe .

Rock Island another good pistol but finish not as nice as the American Classic.

I would choose either of these over a Springfield Sorry Iam not a fan of Springfield .
Old October 12, 2010, 04:50 AM   #6
adjc

+1 on the American Classic commander. have put close to 500 rds thru it (fmj & jhp) with no problems at all, functioned 100%. very nice bluing also.

Last edited by adjc; October 12, 2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 12, 2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Springfield GI or Mil-Spec are great choices. Springfield also stands behind their product so if you do have issues, they'll take care of it.
Old October 15, 2010, 06:35 PM   #8
DavidJ

Old Soldier

Very happy with my RIA FS 1911. About 500 rounds so far. No problems.

About $400. out the door.

Old October 15, 2010, 07:02 PM   #9
gwnorth

Another way to approach it is to buy something that may not have the features you want now, but has a good solid forged frame and slide and both are well fitted. You can always change out the trigger later, add a beavertail safety and so forth later.

Just saying that you don't need to focus on getting something with all of those features already on it. Get a well made gun and you can then add features over time.

As a purely personal note, based on my own experience with 1911's (I currently own a pair of Colts), I also think it is not a bad thing to buy a basic GI style setup to begin with. Unless you've actually used guns with the features you want, you may well find as I did that a lot of the common (or sometimes advertised as "must have") features are not to your taste.

Also, a number of the GI style entry pistols out there nowadays make pretty good platforms to build on, but the initial purchase won't break the bank.

I will never own another with an extended or an ambi safety for example (been there, done that, as they say) - basic low profile GI thumb safety for me.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:03 PM   #10
X_shooter

Don't rush in. I vote for a nicer used model. Savor the experience of the search and when you see the right one, buy it! I picked up a nice SA Loaded used from a buddy that mentioned in passing that he had one for sale. I was going to get a RIA Tactical in hard chrome. A good gun. I now have a SA stainless loaded for a very little bit more.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Sherlock

I've seen a nice Rock River for $500 at a LGS recently. Really nice gun. The Para Ordinance GI Expert, as mentioned, is nice. Good luck.

You could also save up for next year and get an anniversary edition 1911. A lot of the manufactures are coming out with anniversary editions next year.
Traveling Man - Hoover #770 F&AM
Freedom exists so long as freemen stand united and devoted to protecting it.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
dreamweaver

the best value for a 1911 platform is the para gi expert (mho)
it is a great shooter out of the box, with a better trigger than most. easily upgraded to just about any lever you could want, with readily available after market parts.
shoot one if you can before deciding. you wont be sorry
Old October 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #13
rsxr22

The GI Expert is a good option...

Also RIA Tactical is as well and probably a better option!
Old October 15, 2010, 10:19 PM   #14
franco45

The RIA tactical has all the features you mentioned. I just shot mine for the first time tonight. 100 rounds, no problems at all. $459 at Centerfire Systems and only $13 for shipping.
Old October 16, 2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Chris_B

Quote:
would like some nicer features, like an upgraded trigger, hammer, beavertail safety, etc.
Given your budget constraints, why are the above things a consideration? have you fired 1911s and found that these features benefit you, or are these things you only think might be good to have? I would definitely advocate buying a solid dependable pistol first, and then add the doo-dads later on
Old October 16, 2010, 08:51 AM   #16
zombieslayer

I'd look around at some used Colts, Kimbers, etc, before I bought new.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Water-Man

RIA Tactical.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:08 AM   #18
mavracer

I'd buy a Rock Island before I'd buy a Taurus. I'll also second the suggestion to look at the STI Spartan.it's a lot of gun for the $
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Tags
1911 , 45 acp , 45 auto , springfield , taurus