The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2021, 07:37 PM   #76
4V50 Gary
Staff

Highpoints are supposed to be very reliable. Not that I would own the Woolworth of Guns but I don't laugh at something to work. During WW II the Filipinos used pipe to make slam fire single shot shotguns. After they killed a Japanese, they attempted (if safe) to recover their gun. It served its purpose.

Ditto with plastic frame pistols. My big objection is that the HK VP-70 was first but overlooked. Timing was bad but the VP-70 was the first big framed plastic gun (too bad it didn't come with the shoulder stock holster). Plastic has been proven.

I don't care for the shockwave but if it's what you can afford and it keeps the naughty people at bay, go for it.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:03 PM   #77
44 AMP
Staff

If I remember correctly there was a version of the VP-70 that had a stock, and the stock had the selector switch on it, making the gun legally a machine gun in the US.

Why do people ridicule some guns? For the same reason some Camaro owners ridicule the guy driving a VW beetle...or (in my home area in the 70s) Arctic Cat owners looked down on those who owned "lesser" brands of snowmobiles.

It's part snobbery, ok, its a LOT snobbery...but in the end it boils down to I'm better than you are because my toys/tools are better than yours.

I don't play that game, I think the only gun deserving of ridicule is the one that fails to work when you need it to work.

But, that's just me...
Old May 5, 2021, 12:14 AM   #78
Pathfinder45

I've shot a friend's Shockwave with magnum buckshot ammo and found it quite unpleasant. Surprisingly, it was most abrasive to my bare hand on the pump handle. I would need gloves for more than a couple of shots. I think it's an entirely un-needed attempt to work around equally un-needed regulations. With or without regulations, it needs a real stock. As it is, I consider it ridiculous at best, and more likely can come up with appropriate expletives that it richly deserves. But if it suits someone else better, have at it.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:45 AM   #79
Prof Young

Jennings 22

When I reported that I'd bought a Jennings 22 on this forum there were a few who were sure I'd made a huge mistake.

Got the little sucker and it runs just fine for cheaply made gun. Couple hundered rounds through it now and only 3 jams.

Fun range toy.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old May 6, 2021, 11:26 PM   #80
BourbonCowboy

I own a Taurus Judge...it's my nightstand gun;
I own a Hi Point carbine...and I outshot my friends who shot Ruger and Beretta PCPs;
I own a Charter Arms SouthPaw...because I'm a lefty;
I just bought a Mossberg Shockwave...because I wanted it.

I don't let those who ridicule me change the way I approach my self-defense tactics and/or weapons. I couldn't care less what they think - and I will never ridicule those who make different choices.
Old May 7, 2021, 08:34 PM   #81
OldManMontgomery

The number one laughable and largely useless firearm category are the modern 'derringers' in .45-70 or similar.
A couple decades ago I had the chance to fire both barrels of such a device (derringer) in .45 ACP. Later (some years), I fired two rounds (both barrels) from a Lancaster 'howdah' pistol. chambered in .577 Snider as I recall.
Both are handguns - on a technicality - and are both in what I think of as 'three shot' pistols. Two in the pistol and one shot between to stiffen one's resolve.

The difference in the two pistols is the Lancaster has a fairly valid reason for existence.

I see no good sense in carrying a one-pound, two shot .45-70 with three inch barrels in one's pocket for self-defense.
Old May 11, 2021, 09:43 AM   #82
jackstrawIII

AR's in the hands of deer hunters.

Sure, you CAN if you want... but you look silly.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:40 AM   #83
Pahoo

Timesl; they are a-changing !!!

Quote:
Sure, you CAN if you want... but you look silly.
Not so much anymore but since as since Iowa changed their hunting caliber restrictions we are seeing more AR-types used for deer hunting. Prior to this change, Coyote hunters have been been using AR-Types for years. ......

Going even further back about 30-years or so, their is the Northern Missouri-Deer/varmint special, called the SKS-Deer rif;e . .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 11, 2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old May 11, 2021, 02:20 PM   #84
rickyrick

Hunting is a solo activity for me, so no one would see me if I did. I have never used an AR to hunt deer, but I see no issue with it.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #85
Skans

I have a Jennings J-22. Have had it for decades - bought it around 1990 and put lots of rounds through it. It hasn't broken yet. Mine has the metal "safety" which is rather useless, but at least it's metal. Keep it clean and it will shoot.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #86
Skans

Chrome AK-47. That one will get some laughs.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #87
Ignition Override

Look on TheHighRoad:

Rifle Forums- “The 70’s Called”.

The man used Spaceship Green on an AR 9
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #88
tex45acp

Magnum Research BFR in 45-70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFR.jpg (107.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by tex45acp; Today at 03:38 PM.