The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 13, 2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Gunny K

Semper-Fi Scoits. I was in the First Marine Brigade from 1977-81. The interesting part of my Marine tenure, is that I have seen the first Marine four star General, the first marine general on the joint chiefs of staff and also the first Marine as the Chairman of the joint chiefs. The only "famous" Marine I have had the pleasure of meeting, was having lunch with General Boyington. I own guns just for the collection and the hunt is only the fringe on the surrey. I own guns because I like to build and restore them. I collect stuff which was used by the Corps and also the Czech army. I stopped with the plastic stuff. That is where I draw the line. I own nothing with a synthetic stock. I enjoy doing the furniture as much as the metal work. The only stuff I "enjoy" hunting are wild pigs. They are a true challenge. I have taken them with as small as the 7.62x45 Czech to as large as my 375 American T.R. The only piece of game I have ever shot with a scope was a European deer back in 1976 and it was mounted on a Brno 8x57. I spent the summer with my uncle in Czechoslovakia. All game I have shot in the US has been with peep sights. Ranging between 75-400 yards. All have been pigs. I shoot that which I like to eat and also something that is almost as smart and aggressive as I am . Hence the pigs. I started shooting pigs in Hawaii back in 1978 and now cant get enough of them. I only even get to see one about one hunt out of four.

Last edited by Gunny K; September 13, 2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:14 PM   #27
Scoits

Gunny,
Shot a few pigs myself, Fla and Arkansas, with and without dogs. I use my 45/70 guide gun. One shot one pig. Did shoot a couple of wart hogs in Zim. Used the 340.
Dont mean to jack the thread.
Do thank you for your response as now have a better understanding of your quest.
Good luck and keep the powder dry.
Old September 14, 2017, 05:45 PM   #28
disseminator

Forget that you own that barrel.

Now, we all know which one you want so go with the 8mm and be happy.
Old September 16, 2017, 04:40 PM   #29
Gunny K

Thanks for all the help guys. It is not which one I want, but which will be the most practical and useful to me at this point. I "Really Want" the 338 but the 8mm will be considerably more practical. Also quite a bit less expensive to build and shoot.
I just put the 338 barrel up fore sale and will order a new 8mm Rem Mag short chambered barrel as soon as I get my first 7.62x45 project finished. All that is left on it is getting it blued and dropping it into the stock. After this one is done, than I have my six other planed projects including now the 8mm Rem Mag. After those I will still have four large ring and one small ring Mauser actions left in my stash. Which at this point I have no plans for.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:47 PM   #30
Don Fischer

I've owned a couple 338 mag. To me, unless I shot it a lot, recoil was brutal. But as I found out, you can learn to live with recoil. I would not choose an 8mm over a 338 for one simple reason, bullet's! What is the heaviest bullet you can get in an 8mm? I don't know about the 338 anyore but when I was shooting them, you could get up to a 275 gr Speer and seemed everyone made a 250 gr. If you really felt you needed a 200gr bullet, you's get a 30 cal cartridge, mag of course, rather than something like a 7mm the huge difference being the bullet weight and hoe the cartridge handle's it. Biggest difference in the 30-06 and a 300 mag to me is the way the 300 mag handles 200 gr bullet's. If you need or want that much bullet bigger is better. At the same time if you were using say a 165 gr class bullet, you'd be better off with the 7mm over the 300 mag. Reasno being the 300 will be awfully hard on that light a bullte and the 7mm will thrive on it. At time's over the years I have though of nother 338 but the only cartridge that interest me has been the 338-06. the idea being I could then shoot a 250 gr with less recoil.

One thing for sure I've discovered is if you want it get it. If you think you want it, you'll have a good idea when you get it in your hand. At one time I had the hot's for a Ruger #1 in 25-06. Never had the money and then one day I walked into a gun shop with the money in hand and there it was. Picked it up and played with it a bit and left without it. Back then I discovered it wasn't so much about having a single shot in something like a 25-06 but rather getting something I really couldn't afford. Fooled with it a bit and the magic went out of it. Back then those #1's were $265 brand new! Now that one I should have bought as an investment!
Old September 17, 2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Gunny K

The thing is, that if I want a 250-350gr bullet I go to the 375. Either the short Mag which duplicates the 375H&H or the JRS which duplicates the 375 Weatherby. The 8mm bullet is available to 220gr and I will be shooting between 198-220 with it. Once I jump to 235gr I change to the 375 short Magnum. Once I go over 275gr I go to the 375JRS.
Old September 17, 2017, 02:28 PM   #32
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny K View Post
The thing is, that if I want a 250-350gr bullet I go to the 375. Either the short Mag which duplicates the 375H&H or the JRS which duplicates the 375 Weatherby. The 8mm bullet is available to 220gr and I will be shooting between 198-220 with it. Once I jump to 235gr I change to the 375 short Magnum. Once I go over 275gr I go to the 375JRS.
You got it! The larger cartridges generally handle heavier bullet's better!
Old September 17, 2017, 07:42 PM   #33
HiBC

Actually,once you get your 8 mm,you may find you really MUST have a 9.3 !!!

Just thought I'd leave you with something to think about. :-)
Old September 17, 2017, 08:46 PM   #34
Gunny K

Have a 375. ITS BIGGER. Actually two of them.