The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 26, 2020, 07:07 AM   #1
TXAZ

“Bringing a __________ to a gun fight”

Lots of analogies recently about “bringing an arrow / knife / stick to a gun fight.”
If you didn’t have a gun, but felt compelled to engage, what could you bring?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 26, 2020, 07:12 AM   #2
upstate81

Baseball bat/steel pipe
Old September 26, 2020, 08:40 AM   #3
ghbucky

apparently a skateboard is now the weapon of choice.
Old September 26, 2020, 08:51 AM   #4
HighDesert

Piles of bricks have actually been in abundance free of charge!
Old September 26, 2020, 09:27 AM   #5
44caliberkid

Studying and reading about improvised weaponry is a great use of your time. You learn some cool stuff and also become more situationally aware, scanning and spotting weapons everywhere you go. The first sharp, cutting, tearing weapon you always have with you is your teeth. Bruce Lee said, "When all else fails, bite." But you can open with that, plus getting a finger or chunk of your face bitten off tends to freak out the victim.
Anything heavy you can get a good grip on, like canned goods, fist sized rocks. I took an improvised weaponry class in the late 70's, and telephones (house land line) were recommended because they were big, heavy and both pieces had a handle to grab onto. Doesn't really apply these days. But most kitchens are full of sharp, pointy, or heavy objects that can be wielded or thrown. Glass bottles, especially with a long neck (handle) are great to swing or throw.
Bikers used to (still do) carry a ball peen hammer in the hammer loop of their carpenters jeans. Not considered a weapon (like a knife would be) so avoids hassles with the police, looks intimidating just hanging there.
But I keep a modern combat tomahawk in both vehicles, not only because it's a great tool, but because I heard a N.Y. policeman, who was relating being attacked by a guy with a hatchet, say that the sight of the guy coming at him with an axe was terrifying.
Old September 26, 2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
But I keep a modern combat tomahawk in both vehicles, not only because it's a great tool, but because I heard a N.Y. policeman, who was relating being attacked by a guy with a hatchet, say that the sight of the guy coming at him with an axe was terrifying.
I would suggest looking up and reading the laws of your state regarding weapons in vehicles. I would expect that carrying a combat tomahawk is probably illegal.

Think about it. How often have burglars been busted and among the charges listed was "possession of burglary tools"? So what's a "burglary tool? You can't go into Lowe's, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight and buy a set of "burglary tools." The tools involved are typically a hammer and a crowbar. It's the context that makes the difference.

I own multiple axes and multiple hatchets. I would carry them in my vehicle only if I were on the way to cut wood, or on a camping trip and I had all the other equipment for a camping trip, such as a tent, sleeping bag, and Coleman stove. The same applies to my Ka-Bar knife. Years ago, I always carried a Ka-Bar (-like) knife in my car. Then I read my state's laws on weapons in vehicles and I decided that wasn't a good idea. I have a permit to carry a firearm but my state, like most, only addresses handguns on the carry permit. Of the five or six carry permits I have, I believe Florida is the only one that applies to "weapons" rather than just handguns.
Jeepaholic
Old September 26, 2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Brit

Pistol permit, yes. Glock19-4th gen. TruGlo night sights, extended slide stop.
Trimmed mag release, dug into the second finger. A fitted butt plug, shortest.
Helps mag changes. Probably, put 1k rounds of cheap 9mm in matches, IDPA.
Carry Federal 147g HST gets great revues in actual LE shootings. And is very accurate.
In spending 5 years as a Night Club Bouncer in Liverpool UK. And never lost a fight, or was struck in the face. Your hands are faster than drawing a combat pistol. DO NOT DRINK AT WORK!.
Old September 26, 2020, 01:33 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...what's a "burglary tool?..." That'd depend on where you are, but a lowly screwdriver can be considered a "burglary tool' up here. It's one of the "blanket charges" our cops get to use.
Some local government offices and courts consider my cute Swiss Army knife as a weapon. I laughed and said, "It's a tool, not a weapon." Told the clerk I could carry a concealed firearm without her knowing too.
Anyway, assorted laws aside, it is not a good idea to get involved with any gun fight with anything that does not go bang. Even a .22 Short beats a stick or anything else.
"...combat tomahawk..." All tomahawks are combat tomahawks. Anything else is a hatchet.
Old September 26, 2020, 06:35 PM   #9
dyl

Quote:
If you didn’t have a gun, but felt compelled to engage, what could you bring?
This question poses an interesting problem. I carry concealed for not when I feel compelled to do something, but if violence is imminently happening to me. I expect to not have much time to think. The question here asks if I didn't have a firearm available, but engaging seems like more of a choice, and I had time to fetch something rather than what was on me. That situation seems a little different than "what would your alternate EDC be if you couldn't have a firearm"

A replacement could be a Taser if allowed, preferably 2 shot. The Taser offers range and the possibility of temporary incapacitation. Runner up would be OC spray, large enough to take the space that a firearm would have taken, not one of those tiny keychain pen ones. The strategy would be the same, stop the threat, get myself/family out of danger. The OC spray may have to be an opener but could also be used more liberally with less legal ramifications.

For defending property without a firearm, anything less than a firearm would be a big disadvantage. If I couldn't have a firearm that would mean I probably couldn't have a muzzle loader either. I'm not an archer, so maybe something more primitive. Short bat, short spear, or big knife with a sharp pointy tip. The bat would unfortunately depend on strength to be effective. These wouldn't be great outdoors, so the ideal would be watch and wait. I wonder why we don't see "1 man room clearing with a knife" videos? Do i switch knife hands when I approach a right hand corner? (joking)
Old September 26, 2020, 09:08 PM   #10
TXAZ

I’m surprised no one has mentioned a laser.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 27, 2020, 04:20 AM   #11
shurshot

Khukuri.
Carried inside, or strapped to the outside of a small backpack... its a survival tool. Very versatile tool indeed. Ask any Gurkha.
I favor the Condor Khukuri... I own two, the Heavy duty and the Tactical model. High carbon steel, 10" blade sharpens up nicely, proper design (unlike the cheaper machete versions!), perfect balance. FAR more chopping power than my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie or various small hatchets and Bowie knives I own.
You can build shelter, clear brush, process firewood, gather plant based food or kill small game. With a ferro rod you can build a fire. Remember, with a big knife you can do small jobs, but the reverse is not true. The learning curve is small.
It's use as an agrarian tool goes back thousands of years. And as a self defense weapon used during various battles over the last 200 years by the Gurkha warriors from Nepal... its legendary. Truly fearsome.
The blade angle and design magnifies your chopping stroke power. Splitting camp firewood with one will reaffirm this.
Carried along with a small hiking ("Get Home Bag"), backpack, along with canteen, compass, fishing kit, etc., in your vehicles trunk, where legal, you are prepared in case you breakdown or if you decide to hike before or after work. Or, carried in your trunk with other gardening tools, as its wonderful for clearing thick brush and weeds in the backyard at your camp. It is a fine tool to own with an amazing history.
In areas where one cannot legally carry or own a firearm (like some city's or National Parks in America, or disarmed nations across the globe), a well constructed Khukuri deserves consideration.
Regardless of if you can own a gun or not, a properly constructed and designed khukuri is one awesome tool to own and well worth adding to one's survival / camping gear.

Last edited by shurshot; September 27, 2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 27, 2020, 07:50 AM   #12
ghbucky

Quote:
Of the five or six carry permits I have, I believe Florida is the only one that applies to "weapons" rather than just handguns.
Kentucky does not have a concealed pistol permit. We have a 'concealed deadly weapon permit'.
Old September 27, 2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky
Quote:
Of the five or six carry permits I have, I believe Florida is the only one that applies to "weapons" rather than just handguns.
Kentucky does not have a concealed pistol permit. We have a 'concealed deadly weapon permit'.
Okay, that's two: Florida and Kentucky.

The other permits I have are Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine, and Connecticut. Those are all for handguns (some say pistol and revolver) only.

What other states' permits cover knives (or combat tomahawks) and other weapons in addition to handguns?
Jeepaholic
Old September 27, 2020, 12:33 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Two thoughts that I have always thought applied well, though I can no longer remember who to ascribe the quotes to...

"never hit a man with your closed fist unless you are stark naked and both feet are nailed to the floor..."

I think the stark naked part is just for emphasis that there are no other options possible...

"the real weapon is between your ears. Everything else is just a tool"

And, what are tools? Anything that can act as a force multiplier.

Blunt or edged, anything you can lift can work, to improve over your empty hand to some degree.

even cavemen knew that...
Old September 27, 2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

Tennessee allows any knife-with/without permit.
I would use a big can of pepper spray.
Old September 27, 2020, 04:05 PM   #16
jmr40

Using them as a weapon is pretty far down my list of priorities, but I keep one of the 4" Mora Companion knives in all of our vehicles. I use it to cut stuff as needed.

In addition to the car we have two 4X4 trucks and I keep an axe and a folding entrenching tool along with 4 way tire tools and tow straps in both. There is also a tool bag with a hammer, screwdrivers, and assorted other tools. All of which has at one time or another gotten me home when I'd not have been able to do so without them.

Any of those could be used as a last ditch weapon, but I can't imagine ever getting into trouble for having them in my vehicles. If I had to use one I believe the entrenching tool would be the 1st one I'd reach for.

Winston Churchill
Old September 29, 2020, 07:55 PM   #17
Dfariswheel

There is a Asian martial art that involves using random normal objects in a room as weapons.
As example a folded newspaper becomes a lethal hammer.
A credit card with one corner sharpened becomes a throat cutting tool.

A distant relative in a non-carry, non-"free" state carries a baseball, glove, and aluminum bat in the car. He doesn't play ball.

For walking he carries a 6 "C" cell flash light that's about the same size as a night stick and more effective.
Years ago Massod Ayoob gave a courtroom demonstration on how a flashlight was a deadly weapon by astounding a jury by smashing heavy wooden furniture to bits with a 3 "D" cell MagLite.

Fortunately, times have changed in most states, so I just don't go where I can't carry a gun.

A shovel is a no-BS serious weapon as proved in WWI and WWI by the Germans, and by Russian troops.
A primary training course for the Russian Spetsnaz troops is use of the shovel as a weapon.
Old September 30, 2020, 02:37 PM   #18
Rob228

I'd bring a dog.
Old September 30, 2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Sharkbite

Quote:
I'd bring a dog.
In years past, ive had pairs of Akita’s and Rotties. Im not sure my current pair of French Bulldogs will get the same reaction as the bigger K9’s. Lol
Old September 30, 2020, 06:17 PM   #20
Dfariswheel

The small dog is a very effective protection option.

They usually have great hearing and raise hell if someone is where they shouldn't be.
Once alerted, it's up to you to deal with any problems, as it should be.
Old September 30, 2020, 06:31 PM   #21
Geezerbiker

Perhaps this sounds cowardly but I would stay home if I knew where I was going was dangerous and I couldn't pack.

Tony
Old September 30, 2020, 06:39 PM   #22
Ed4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
Perhaps this sounds cowardly but I would stay home if I knew where I was going was dangerous and I couldn't pack.

Tony
#metoo
Old September 30, 2020, 11:35 PM   #23
jimbob86

I forget who said it (might have been Clint Smith), but the answer is: "If there is going to be a gunfight, and and you can't be elsewhere when it happens, then the things to bring are a rifle, and all your friends with rifles."
Old October 1, 2020, 12:42 AM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It was inevitable that this discussion would lead to knives so, once again, I will remind everyone that there are federal laws, there are fifty states that all have their own laws, and there's the District of Columbia. Know the laws of your state.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/

https://knifeup.com/knife-laws/

https://hobanco.com/pages/knife-laws

https://www.shtfblog.com/knife-laws-...all-50-states/
Jeepaholic
Old October 1, 2020, 11:49 AM   #25
michaelcj

Swift bending of the knees in the opposite direction.