The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2020, 12:53 AM   #1
bamaranger

No ammo from Remington, say it ain't so!!!!!!

A pal whose comments I respect has told me tonight that Rem has mothballed the Loanoke ammo factory, and that the shotshell line and centerfire rifle Core-Lokt line is no more! I'd heard/read they were having money trouble (again) but seems as if they could sell all the ammo they wanted given the current state of affairs.

Whose got more details?
Old August 31, 2020, 01:09 AM   #2
capecuddy

This is their second bankruptcy. In the face of unprecedented demand... Points to far bigger problems in operating the company.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old August 31, 2020, 01:29 AM   #3
JERRYS.

People are wanting to sell a kidney to buy ammo. If Remington Ammo is having difficulty making ends meet it points to skimming off the top before and after sales.
Old August 31, 2020, 02:51 AM   #4
Scorch

No skimming. The Freedom Group saddled them with a huge debt when they spun them off a few years back. High volume businesses like ammo manufacturers rely on lines of credit to order supplies to keep operating, so those operations are more heavily affected by their cash shortage.
Old August 31, 2020, 08:57 AM   #5
FITASC

They will be auctioning off the entire company in parts mid-September. Current info suggests that the Ammo plants and the Barnes Bullet division will go as a unit and have several interested bidders. Somehow I do not think the Ilion facilities will be that desirable due to possible EPA cleanup costs; but the plants in NC and AL are new, so hopefully they will garner some interest
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2020, 09:09 AM   #6
pete2

Companies run by bean counters, this sometimes happens. Company I worked for years ago closed up with a plant full of work to do. Bean counter/owner's son ran the company, only took him a couple years to run it into the ground.
Old August 31, 2020, 09:50 AM   #7
FITASC

That's the old adage about "Rags to Riches to Rags" with mutli-generational family-run companies
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2020, 11:52 AM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
bamaranger A pal whose comments I respect has told me tonight that Rem has mothballed the Loanoke ammo factory, and that the shotshell line and centerfire rifle Core-Lokt line is no more!
I just called my nephew who drives by the plant everyday....its open, with cars in the parking lot.

And then theres this:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...aded-20200405/

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 31, 2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2
Companies run by bean counters, this sometimes happens. Company I worked for years ago closed up with a plant full of work to do. Bean counter/owner's son ran the company, only took him a couple years to run it into the ground.
No, it wasn't the bean counters. At least, not the bean counters in Remington. Scorch has it right. The Freedom Group bought Remington in a highly-leveraged deal. They then turned around and performed a feat of financial legerdemain (sleight of hand), swapping Remington's money for the Freedom Group's debt, leaving the Freedom Group cash rich and Remington at the bottom of a huge economic pit without even a teaspoon to try to dig themselves out.
Jeepaholic
Old August 31, 2020, 06:59 PM   #10
pete2

Freedom Group's bean counters, take the money and run..... It's what they do.
Old August 31, 2020, 09:56 PM   #11
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
That happened to me once as well, I always thought the right size company was about 200 people, run by the original owner and never let the stock go public.
Old September 1, 2020, 12:01 AM   #12
PocketCamera

they just started in the last year selling a limitied assortment of ammunition in a box with the PETERS brand name again.
Old September 2, 2020, 01:07 AM   #13
bamaranger

OK

Yeah I get it, they have money problems, again. One poster has a hearsay report there are cars in the parking lot.

My question however ........"is Loanoke producing ammo or not?"
Old September 2, 2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

The article is nearly 5 months old. A lot has happened since then.

However, if the plant is open 24 hours a day, the somebody should give them a call..

Phone: (501) 676-3161
Old September 3, 2020, 09:55 AM   #15
thallub

"However, if the plant is open 24 hours a day, the somebody should give them a call..

Phone: (501) 676-3161"

Done!!. The plant is operating as we speak.

Last edited by thallub; September 3, 2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old September 3, 2020, 09:53 PM   #16
BourbonCowboy

The Lonoke factory is still open and operating. However quite a few people have been laid off. There is a pending purchase offer that expires September 27th. If it is doesn't go through, the plant will likely close.
Old September 3, 2020, 11:10 PM   #17
1MoreFord

I was by the plant this afternoon. The parking lot was about 2/3 full. The grounds were still well kept. I heard a few weeks/months ago they had closed down the 3rd shift rimfire line. At its peak the parking lot had been at overflow levels.

Mark(BourbonCowboy) appears to have more recent financial info regarding their future than I do.
Old September 3, 2020, 11:13 PM   #18
BourbonCowboy

One of my teachers has a parent who works there - until being recently laid off.
Old September 10, 2020, 03:04 PM   #19
kkb

Looks like JJE has made a $65M offer for Remington's ammo business (link).

JJE also holds Palmetto State Armory, and DC Machine - a major firearms part mfr.
Old September 14, 2020, 10:48 AM   #20
raddadmike

Yeah...just heard about that bid. Supposedly, the bidding war closes on the 19th. Curious to see what kind of merger if any PSA and Remington will have
Old September 14, 2020, 02:57 PM   #21
ThomasT

I don't know whats going on with Remington but I sure wish they would start making Yellow Jacket 22 ammo again. I'm down to just a couple of boxes now.
Old September 14, 2020, 04:10 PM   #22
FITASC

The first stalking horse bid for the ammo and bullet business was from the parent holding company of Palmetto State Armory for $65,000,000.
Old September 14, 2020, 06:27 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
The first stalking horse bid for the ammo and bullet business was from the parent holding company of Palmetto State Armory for $65,000,000.
See post #19 ...
Jeepaholic