The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 7, 2020, 12:23 PM   #51
Ricklin

May 18 1980

Yup, I was here when that one happened. Darn near lost my best buddy along with his family. There are still plenty of bodies under all that mud.

Mt. St. Helens was expected to erupt, not explode. Well it def. exploded. They thought they set up a large enough zone around the mountain, they were wrong.

I lived in Spokane Wa back in the 80's. Idaho was still 18 YO to buy alcohol. The high school seniors liked that a lot. It's a quick trip from Spokane to the border.
Old August 8, 2020, 02:15 AM   #52
zoo

Quote:
But I'm wondering where in the USA is there a location that never has any natural disasters or a natural disaster as likely as the Yellowstone caldera?
Doesn't matter, RETG. I wasn't claiming to be rational. The only one I care about is Yellowstone.
Old August 8, 2020, 02:22 AM   #53
zoo

Quote:
Mt. St. Helens was expected to erupt, not explode. Well it def. exploded. They thought they set up a large enough zone around the mountain, they were wrong.
We were going to fly up and train with a TOW unit up in Yakima that June in 1980. Got called off due to St. Helen blowing and stress cracks in our aircraft. Just as well I guess. But it sure would have been nicer than the alternative our commanders decided upon, 29 Stumps... blah.
Old September 1, 2020, 01:03 PM   #54
langenc

Passed thry parts of Idaho 51 yrs ago on our honeymoon. Had to go to Sandpoint to make a phone call then took some shortcut and ended up on a Forest service rd.
Didnt have a shovel/bucket/axe and got a permit to complete pass thru w/out fine.

Saw a BIG pile of bear scat and picked up a HUGE pine cone on the FS Rd.
Great time was had.
Old September 1, 2020, 03:48 PM   #55
JWT

Idaho has always been my favorite state by far. Unfortunately people from Kalifornica and Oregon and Eastern Washington have discovered it and are trying to bring their very liberal ideas with them at the expense of the natives.