The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 8, 2022, 09:55 PM   #1
kymasabe

AR Red Dot placement/location ??

When I see pics of AR's with red dots on them, they seem like they're mounted farther forward than I'd expect, like above the magwell area of the receiver.
Mines mounted much further back but I'm wondering....am I doing something wrong? Is there a reason to mount the red dot further forward that I'm missing, or is it just personal preference?
Old October 8, 2022, 10:03 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

The dot stays the same size no matter where you mount it. So it comes down to how you prefer your field of view. Want your optic to mess with your overall field of view less? Mount it forward. Want a better field of view through the optic? Mount it closer to your eye.

I typically mount it as far forward as I can without getting any of the mount onto the handguard.
Old October 9, 2022, 04:50 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

DubC nailed it.

I have one AR with the red dot mounted all the way at the front of the receiver so I can put a magnifier behind it. on the other AR the red dot is mounted further back for a wider field of view through the sight.
Old October 9, 2022, 06:25 AM   #4
shafter

Experiment and find out what works the best for you but generally forward on the receiver but not on the handguard.
Old October 9, 2022, 08:26 AM   #5
kymasabe

I tend to shoot with both eyes open when using my red dot, and having it mounted closer to the rear of the receiver works better for me, the body of the red dot acts like a ghost ring and helps me get the dot on target faster, no searching thru the scope. I just wasnt sure if my methodology was flawed. But I guess if it works...
Regarding magnification: I forgot about that, and yes, I guess you would need to mount much farther forward if using a magnifier, good call Willie Lowman.
The you all for your input.
Old October 9, 2022, 12:49 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

I mount mine in the middle of the receiver. But thats most to accommodate flip up sights behind them.