The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 14, 2022, 05:48 PM   #1
John D

Diamondback DA trigger

Just bought this revolver. I have SA .22’s but wanted DA as well. The price was right; this MAY be why the trigger pull is so heavy. Articles I’ve read say it goes at 14 lbs. really heavy. Anyone have thoughts on how to lighten this up?
Old September 14, 2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Scorch

Dont try it your self. The older Colts trigger mechanism is different from anything curently on the market. I have been smithing for 30 years, look around for someone with about that much experience to do any trigger work.
Old September 14, 2022, 06:48 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Put in some good quality snap caps (NOT fired cases) and DA dryfire the gun a few thousand times.

And, yes, I'm serious about the number.

After you get a few thousand cycles on the action, it will be about as smooth and light as its going to get without quality professional Colt trigger work, and it has the added benefit of strengthening your trigger finger and there by making a heavier pull "feel" lighter.

And if you mix just snapping in with actual dry fire practice (lining up sights, keeping them on target as you pull through), the benefit of the practice will be even greater.
Old September 14, 2022, 11:44 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Tough DA may include
Rimfire needs harder hammer fall, stronger mainspring.
Stock Colt DA stacks a lot.
Diamondback is not a small Python.
Gun to gun variation.

2000 snaps as recommended by SIG Sauer chief armorer did sweet bugger all for the trigger pull of a P220. A visit to Teddy Jacobsen helped a lot.
A friend's home market P220 did not need help.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:18 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Absolutely a lot of gun to gun variation.

Quote:
2000 snaps as recommended by SIG Sauer chief armorer did sweet bugger all for the trigger pull of a P220. A visit to Teddy Jacobsen helped a lot.
A friend's home market P220 did not need help.
1980 Browning BDA 45 (Sig P220),, casual use for about a decade, (maybe 2000+ rounds) no smith work, no dryfire practice and damn little DA use, DA pull weight dropped a significant amount, seems like nearly half, but I'm sure not quite that much...

Every gun is going to be different about this, some break in well get noticeably smoother, some never seem to until the visit a smith.

I don't see what you've got to lose by dry firing, cycling the action a lot of times, besides some time. The exercise strengthening your trigger finger (and grip, and hands overall) certianly isn't going to waste, and if the trigger improves, then, YAY!! go play with live ammo and have fun! And, if it doesn't, it can still go to the smith for tuning to your satisfaction.

And yes, Colt DA's are notorious for "stacking".
Old September 15, 2022, 12:40 AM   #6
John D

FYI….this is NOT a Colt.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Jim Watson

There is a Diamondback revolver from somebody besides Colt?
Well, hush my mouf, there is.
I had heard of a copy of the High Standard Double Nine but did not know the brand name.
https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sidekick/

That brings us back to lots of dry fire and shooting to wear it in.
Wolff does not list springs for it or the original HS.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:43 PM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
There is a Diamondback revolver from somebody besides Colt?
Well, hush my mouf, there is.
I had heard of a copy of the High Standard Double Nine but did not know the brand name.
https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sidekick/

That brings us back to lots of dry fire and shooting to wear it in.
Wolff does not list springs for it or the original HS.
Not really a copy of the double nine. It’s SA/DA that looks like a SA revolver but has the swing out cylinder of a DA revolver.
Old September 15, 2022, 08:36 PM   #9
Jim Watson

That is what a Double Nine IS, a double action faked up to look like a single action.
The Sidekick is a close visual and operating copy.
Old September 15, 2022, 09:32 PM   #10
AzShooter

44AMP has the right idea about dry firing your revolver. 2000 rounds seems small and it will smooth the trigger out a bit but a good gunsmith will definitely do a better job.

14 pounds won't even register on my Layman digital scale. For .22s I like less than 10 pounds and that's going to take some work.
Old September 16, 2022, 06:56 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
That is what a Double Nine IS, a double action faked up to look like a single action.
The Sidekick is a close visual and operating copy.
Man my memory really is fading. I had one of these a long long time ago and the way I remembered them the cylinder didn’t swing out to eject the empties. Ah well, just another erroneous memory chalked up to getting older. Thanks for the correction, next time I see one for sale I may be tempted.
Old September 16, 2022, 09:42 AM   #12
wild cat mccane

Diamondback and 2,000 snaps?

That will definitely fix it. It will probably be busted by then.

This is after owning 5 DB9s and knowing Taurus walked away from their partnership.

love the concept. Not with DB though.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 16, 2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old September 16, 2022, 11:17 AM   #13
Ricklin

Frame size?

If your Diamondback is a small frame, 12-14 Lbs. may be as good as it gets.

With small framed .22 rimfire revolvers, the pull weight becomes a geometry problem. Reliable ignition is the issue.
Old September 16, 2022, 11:55 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

The OP has stated the gun he has is not a Colt Diamondback, therefore I withdraw my advice.

I was under the impression he had a Colt Diamondback, and a few thousand cycles won't do much other than smooth up the action some. Since he stated its not a Colt, then its some other gun named Diamondback and I know nothing about it.

A few thousand snaps might still be a way to smooth it up, or it could use up a significant portion of the gun's service life, I have no clue, so disregard my advice, in this case.
Old September 16, 2022, 01:09 PM   #15
Ricklin

Quite a few hours

My little Taurus .22 revolver had a factory two men and a boy trigger pull, it was almost unusable in double action.
I changed no springs, no springs cut either. I went through all the trigger parts carefully polishing.
Got it down to usable, and ignition is reliable. Valve lapping paste is handy stuff, along with a full can of brake cleaner to get it all out.