The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2022, 09:40 AM   #26
ChimpMunk20

Looks like a Sig design. Didn't know about this till now.
Any reliable is it?
Old September 8, 2022, 01:18 PM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
Looks like a Sig design.
Not sure I'm following you here. It screams Walther in every direction.

What part makes you think Sig?
Old September 8, 2022, 01:50 PM   #28
Smaug

Interesting! Seems like they're going for about $520.

This is on my radar for my wife, too. (though she has smaller hands) Looks better than the Kel-Tec, but the Kel-Tec has a very nice trigger and sights. (is it a Jam-O-Matic?)

I think they kind of blew it by not doing the interchangeable back straps; maybe in a future innovation?

Better to make the grip a little on the small side than on the large, IMO. (thinking of Ruger SR22, here)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 26, 2022, 02:41 PM   #29
Sevens

Got mine out for it's maiden voyage. First I'll report the bad:

Winchester Super-X 40gr JHP (X22MH) was beyond bad, it was genuinely dangerous. For whatever reason, each and every shot of this would open the slide too early with the net result being an unsupported cartridge case. Each one either split or crack right at the case head and spit fury and granules back out of the pistol.

I don't believe the ammo was faulty or bad, and I REALLY don't believe the pistol had any issue, I honestly think the ammo was designed before folks were shooting .22 WMR from semiautomatic pistols.

After the failure of the X22MH, I went to work with three others...
CCI MaxiMag 40gr JHP, Armscor 40gr JHP and Hornady Critical Defense 45gr FTX.

Of the above ammo... I sent 450 rounds down range in about 90 minutes. I did tons of double taps, a number of mag-dumps and I shot two hand standing, one hand strong hand, one hand weak hand and for even more testing (since it was going so well!), for the last 20 rounds of the Hornady defense ammo, I barely held the pistol in one hand, basically pinching it with my thumb and trigger finger. I was trying to give the pistol nothing whatsoever to recoil on, "extreme limp wristing" if you will, and I could not get the pistol to bobble or fail.

Using those three kinds of ammo, I got zero fails of any kind, nothing even approaching a stoppage or even a hint of questionable operation. Excluding the disastrous Winchester Super-X ammo, this new Walther WMP was complete perfection in 450 shots fired over an hour and a half.

I did not do any gilt-edged accuracy testing, I only had steel, but I was making a nice black lead spot at 12 yards. It appeared to drop shots 1.5 to 2" high at this distance.

As for the Winchester ammo, I actually worked through 43 rounds of this stuff before I quit on it. On one hand, I didn't want to write it off without really testing it so that I had a firm conclusion. On the other hand, what I was doing was frankly unsafe. I'm glad that the pressure leakage didn't damage anything. I won't be shooting more of that.

Let me also say that the Armscor 40gr JHP is usually the single cheapest .22WMR product on the market. This was the ammo that I was most worried about before the day began. Net result was -SIX BOXES- of this stuff down range just as fast as I could load up the two magazines. Zero fails and nothing even approaching a hesitation.

Big pop, almost no recoil, lots of fun to shoot and it really tosses the brass back behind you.
Old September 26, 2022, 06:03 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

Walther didn't make that gun- Umarex did. My 30 shot Keltec .22 WMR pistol is reliable.
Old September 28, 2022, 02:26 PM   #31
Smaug

Umarex OWNS Walther, and they have access to Walther barrels. (best in the biz)

They make pretty nice airguns too.

Has your wife shot it yet, Sevens? I've got my wife tolerating 38 Special from a heavy S&W 19. Might add a 22 Mag to the safe one of these days... Either this, the KelTec (which has a fanTAStic trigger!) or maybe an LCRx. Like the WMP, the KelTec has a longish grip; I don't know if my wife's hands will fit on it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 28, 2022, 09:40 PM   #32
Sevens

She has not shot it yet, but she will next time out. Her favorite is .38 from a 6-inch 66-2 and with that she does well.

She "can" shoot the ones with more recoil but she cannot reliably make hits when the recoil climbs. We've got a Kahr CT-9 and she can handle it but cannot hit with it because she's dropping the muzzle before each shot.

I wish the Walther WMP were a little shorter in the grip but otherwise, I believe she'll do well with it... but l'll report back.
Old September 29, 2022, 05:47 PM   #33
R_P_K_

Those aren't Walther/Umarex manufactured pistols