The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 25, 2022, 05:25 PM   #26
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I imagine that if you carry two j frame moonclip loads loose in you poscket, they will eventually get tangled up.
I found you are more likely to have a string or something hooked on the clip or a round.

But I don’t recommend carrying moonclips without any sort of carrier.

Those, easy index… pop the carrier off and you are ready to reload.
Old September 25, 2022, 11:35 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

There is an additional downside to having the work done, though it may not be of any concern to you.

You will have permanently altered the gun. This affects the resale market. Custom work that permanently alters the gun turns some people on (the ones who think like you do) and turns some people off.

Don't think that having the gun altered to take moon clips increases the value. That will be entirely in the eyes of the prospective buyer. If tis not a feature they find desirable, they won't pay extra for it. Even the people who find it desirable are unlikely to pay more to get it, on your used gun. They'll be looking for a deal too...

Additionally, if you do go to sell it, be sure to include a good supply of the clips, and don't expect to get what you spent on them, either.

These things may, or may not matter to you, but they are things to consider and decide on, one way, or the other.
Old September 26, 2022, 04:28 AM   #28
hammer_jockey_91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
About a 960 Rowland conversion:

1. It would need to be rechambered for 9X23, because the Rowland uses a 9X23 case.

2. The 960 Rowland runs at 40,000 to 45,000 psi, which exceeds 9mm +P pressure of 38,500 psi. TK Custom says not to exceed 9mm standard pressure of 35,000 psi in their conversions - no 9mm +P. So using 960 Rowland would greatly exceed their recommended operating pressure guidelines.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...d-review/77904
if the gun its going into is rated for 357 magnum, 960 would work fine. the only issue i could maybe see, is if the chambers arent bored out far enough. i dont have enough experience with tk custom to know if they bore out the cylinder just barely enough for 9mm or they extend it out longer. but if not, id bet tk custom would bore it out a little longer for you if you wanted
Six rounds. No compromise.
Old September 26, 2022, 04:31 AM   #29
hammer_jockey_91

Quote:
Here is my J frame reload setup for EDC.
A leather holder for the 5 round SL Vairant speedloader and an 8 round speed strip which gives me 13 rounds total reload capacity. It's carried in my right rear pocket with easy thumb and finger access immediately to the variant speedloader.

Beats reaching deep into my right front jeans pocket searching for the end of the speedloader. I would not do this with an HKS becasue grabbing the knob has a risk of letting the rounds loose. The speedloader is usally loaded with a truncated tip bullet like the Horandy FTX for easier placement into the chamber holes.

i have to say. i LOVE the idea of speed strips. i cant get the technique down myself. but the idea of having those rounds all in one that you can load as many or as few as you want is very appealing. especially since they are so thin
Six rounds. No compromise.
Old September 26, 2022, 05:32 AM   #30
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer_jockey_91 View Post
if the gun its going into is rated for 357 magnum, 960 would work fine. the only issue i could maybe see, is if the chambers arent bored out far enough. i dont have enough experience with tk custom to know if they bore out the cylinder just barely enough for 9mm or they extend it out longer. but if not, id bet tk custom would bore it out a little longer for you if you wanted
The gun handling the pressure is one thing. 45,000 psi is real close to the proof load pressure of 47,000 psi for 357 Magnum. That's too close to push one's luck. And I suspect few people will want to take your word for it that it's no problem for the gun.

The other thing is why TK says not to run run higher than 35,000 psi rounds through the gun. The cases will stick. Giving advice contrary to the manufacturer/gunsmith is not advisable. They have more experience/knowledge than you do.

https://tkcustom.com/pages/9mm-rechambering

Note:

Our work on cylinders rechambered to 9mm are LIMITED to our customer's using standard 9mm ammo or low pressure reloads, which are 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure or less. Same chamber pressures apply to firing of .38 SPL & .357 Mag. Examples of FACTORY Brands are: Winchester, Federal & Remington.

Absolutely NO 9mm Nato, 9mm +P or 9mm +P+, all which are far beyond the 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure our Ruger .45 ACP & 9mm cylinder machining is intended for. Usually 38,500 psi, which WILL Stick!

If you try to use these high pressure ammo, you will experience cases sticking in all chambers.

We cannot warranty our work, if you disregard our warning/notice on high pressure ammo.

When rechambered to 9mm the cylinder will still shoot NON-HIGH Pressure ammo, 38 SPL or 357 Mag with or without the proper moonclip.

Reloaded range brass, with the unsupported barrel chamber bulge, will not resize properly and results in inferior ammo for use in this conversion!
Old September 26, 2022, 03:48 PM   #31
wild cat mccane

Jim's comment is 100% spot on. But a cheap moon clip to see if you can tolerate loading and unloading.

I know I can't.
Old September 26, 2022, 05:30 PM   #32
Nathan

Anybody know where I can buy a single j frame moon clip?
Old September 26, 2022, 05:35 PM   #33
Jim Watson

Three for $15 is about the best I can find.
https://tkcustom.com/collections/all...swjx5-025-blue
Old September 26, 2022, 06:10 PM   #34
Nathan

Well, I bought them….ugh! Should be a good test before I blow 100’s on machining, clips and loader/unloaders.
Old September 26, 2022, 07:49 PM   #35
Jim Watson

And there to use if you go for the conversion.
Old September 26, 2022, 08:01 PM   #36
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Well, I bought them….ugh! Should be a good test before I blow 100’s on machining, clips and loader/unloaders.
You're welcome
Old September 28, 2022, 02:14 PM   #37
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Well, I guess I’m not sure…

First the revolver is this LINK

SS cylinder and scandium frame.

I got the idea because the 642 comes cut for moon clips.

“Easier” means with less struggle than it have with a speedloader. I use the safariland. I get it aligned, but occasionally a round hangs up in the loader or I rip a round out of the cylinder discarding it. I assume the clip fixes those 2 items. I carry the SL in an empty pocket. It’s ok, except for those issues causing finicky reloads which causes me to slow down to get it right.

When I say fast, I mean fast to drop in and close the cylinder.

I think TK or ten ring would do the work.

How common are bent moon clips coming out of a pocket?
I think it might be better to ask S&W if they will sell you a cylinder cut for the moon clips. You KNOW they're equipped to do it.

If they'll do it, and it turns out you don't like it, you can put your gun back to stock.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 28, 2022, 09:51 PM   #38
Nathan

Quote:
I think it might be better to ask S&W if they will sell you a cylinder cut for the moon clips. You KNOW they're equipped to do it.
It’s probably worth asking, but they are weird about things like that.
Old September 28, 2022, 10:28 PM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

Always worthwhile to ask, but if they aren't interested or willing, is it "wierd" for them to refuse to disrupt their production schedule for one single customer?

Or is it just practical???
Old September 28, 2022, 10:59 PM   #40
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Always worthwhile to ask, but if they aren't interested or willing, is it "wierd" for them to refuse to disrupt their production schedule for one single customer?

Or is it just practical???
S&W sells cylinders as parts. Even Midway has them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=S%26W+cylinders
Old September 29, 2022, 08:14 AM   #41
Bob Wright

I use a speed loader for my Ruger Blackhawk.

When the speed loader is full, the revolver is empty. When the speed loader is empty, the revolver is loaded.

Simple.

Bob Wright
Old September 29, 2022, 09:03 AM   #42
Nathan

Quote:
S&W sells cylinders as parts. Even Midway has them.
Well. I too have found them for sale. $100 for the cylinder, ~$100 to fit, $150 conversion….doesn’t seem worth $350 to me.
Old September 29, 2022, 09:13 AM   #43
74A95

Quote:
Well. I too have found them for sale. $100 for the cylinder, ~$100 to fit, $150 conversion….doesn’t seem worth $350 to me.
Ask S&W for one that is already cut for moonclips.
Old September 29, 2022, 09:20 AM   #44
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I use a speed loader for my Ruger Blackhawk.
So you pop out the cylinder and reload with a speed loader?
Do you eject the rounds manually before doing that?
Is this faster than manually reloading the standard way?
Old September 29, 2022, 10:05 AM   #45
ballardw

Quote:
So you pop out the cylinder and reload with a speed loader?
Do you eject the rounds manually before doing that?
Is this faster than manually reloading the standard way?
Maybe the loads are "powder-puff" level and will fall out of cylinder?
Old September 29, 2022, 10:34 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

I knew one person who used a 1911A1 magazine as his "speedloader" for a Ruger Blackhawk 45. It does work, and is slightly faster than handling the rounds loose.

Since I don't play speed games, I don't understand the obsession with reload speed, particularly in revolvers...but, that's just me.

I understand easy, and I get the point of "rapid" I just don't see the point to spending extra money (and needing extra parts - clips-) to "save" fractions of a second that I am unlikely to achieve anyway, without many hours of dedicated practice which I'm simply not interested in doing...

Your world, your gun, your money, do what makes you happy, while there is still time to do it.
Old September 30, 2022, 11:50 AM   #47
Nathan

Just received the moons today. Wow! Are they fast to reload! I couldn’t imagine the difference in feeling. Just drop and go. I’ll still be slow, but the process is fast. I need to work on my speed!

Doing the pocket test today to see if the clips bend.

The loading tool may not be mandatory, but I can see how the unloader helps.

This will already be the most expensive j frame ever, but I’m sending it out for a moon clip conversion. I’ll call S&W first. They seem helpful normally. Maybe they are cheaper or can do as a spare cylinder. It’s not a collector’s piece. It has already picked up a ding.

In the future, I don’t think I would spring for the 357 mag capability, but I’m really loving the XS front sight and lightweight frame. The 442 Pro seems like the better deal, but lacks the improved sights.

Someone needs to make better grips, but that is a conversation for another time.
Old September 30, 2022, 02:00 PM   #48
jar

Quote:
Just received the moons today. Wow! Are they fast to reload! I couldn’t imagine the difference in feeling. Just drop and go. I’ll still be slow, but the process is fast. I need to work on my speed!

Doing the pocket test today to see if the clips bend.

The loading tool may not be mandatory, but I can see how the unloader helps.

This will already be the most expensive j frame ever, but I’m sending it out for a moon clip conversion. I’ll call S&W first. They seem helpful normally. Maybe they are cheaper or can do as a spare cylinder. It’s not a collector’s piece. It has already picked up a ding.

In the future, I don’t think I would spring for the 357 mag capability, but I’m really loving the XS front sight and lightweight frame. The 442 Pro seems like the better deal, but lacks the improved sights.

Someone needs to make better grips, but that is a conversation for another time.
Remember, in an emergency slow is fast. Fast for fast sake is for games.

In the future see if you can shoot the Detective Special. I think that would really surprise you.
Old September 30, 2022, 09:10 PM   #49
Nathan

@jar….I’m not sure I understand what you mean..
Old September 30, 2022, 09:21 PM   #50
MrBorland

It means your reload is only as good as the shot before and the shot after. A speedy reload solely for speed and without regard to these shots is a false, and possibly dangerous economy. Gamers who are good at the game already know this, btw