The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 14, 2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

Mossberg MPV Varmint, any reviews?

I like the way it looks. Is it reliable and accurate?
Old July 14, 2018, 06:24 PM   #2
M88

I bought a used MVP Varmint in 5.56 a month ago with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 BDC scope on it for $600, thought that was a descent price given the scope. Barrel looked good. Been to busy with other things to shoot it yet. They bore-sighted the scope for me at the shop but plan on taking it to the range this coming week to sight it in and see how it flies. I'll let you know what I think then. I liked how it felt, not to heavy but not light. Like the fact that it shoots 5.56 which is relatively cheap these days. Can't wait to check it out.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:53 PM   #3
M88

Finally got to shoot my Mossberg MVP Varmint today at the range for the first time. I have to say I like the trigger on this better than any other rifle I have so far. Short, light, crisp... and coupled with the relatively little kick given the 5.56 round in a rifle that weight, was able to sight in my scope and get nice groups by the end of the first 30 round mag. I did this at 50 yards. Next time out, will try 75 and then 100. Bottom line... this may become one of the most pleasurable rifles I take to the range.
Old July 19, 2018, 10:13 AM   #4
craddleshooter

I think I've read every report and watched every video I could find on youtube. It seems to me that its about 75/25 for good and bad reviews. This particular gun is a trade in at my father-in-laws small gun business. I know the person who traded it in and they have claimed great accuracy, their reason for trading it in was because they were buying the version that comes pre threaded for a suppressor. It comes with a somewhat decent scope on it and is available for a very reasonable price.

I took the gun to the range the other day(FIL hadn't made the deal yet) and I was able to shoot one 4 shot group and 1 5 shot group with the rifle. The 4 shot group was done with some handloads that had been somewhat tailored to the rifle and it went just a little over 1 inch. The 5 shot group was with some factory seconds refurbished surplus ammo and it was not pretty, somewhere over 3 inches. This was all the ammo we had at the time so I wasn't able to really do anymore testing.

I filled the magazine several times and ran the shells through it to see if It would have feeding problems and there were a few hitches. I learned though that you couldn't baby the bolt, if you operated the bolt with a little extra authority it ran effortlessly every time.

The stock on the rifle is quite nice for the price range and fits me very well. Without being able to play with trigger much I am reserving judgement for now but it seemed to break consistently and crisp.

I don't normally get to have this much of a hands on experience with a gun before I buy it but the situation was a little different this time and he knew I have been eyeing this particular model for quite some time.

I have a few guns I have been looking to trade for a while so it would be no out of pocket cash to get the deal done. I'm just trying to make up my mind if I want to do it. I'm really just wondering if somebody has one that they have tailored a load to and what they've seen for accuracy with said load. Also if somebody has really put one through the paces, like 500 rounds or more and if it is still functioning properly.
Old July 19, 2018, 07:25 PM   #5
M88

Cradelshooter, what caliber is the MVP you were shooting and looking at? The one I bought and have put only about 100 rounds through so far, is 5.56/ .223, it takes standard AR mags. As for the feeding issue you refer to... haven't heard about that, but didn't have a single issue with the three 30 round mags I put through mine. I tend to NOT coddle a bolt gun though, without abusing it, I do it with authority.
Old July 22, 2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Z400ACDC

Has anyone had issues with extraction?
Old July 22, 2018, 09:30 PM   #7
M88

Today I put 4 1/2 more 30 rnd AR mags through my MVP Varmint (about 130 rounds)... did not have one extraction problem with 5.56 OR the two mags of 223 that was part of todays shoot. Again... I tend to not "baby" a bolt action rifle, although I realize that shouldn't be a criteria for it to function properly.