The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2009, 12:57 AM   #1
troy_mclure

powder dispensing scales?

are they worth the money?
are there powders to stay away from when using one?
what is a good brand/model?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 1, 2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Nnobby45

Bought a fancy Lyman and I could't get it to calibrate. Took it back to Sportsman's Warehouse and traded it (no questions asked) for the RCBS Charge Mater 1500 and also bought the auto dispenser.

Very much worth it in my book. Excellent digital scale, and the auto dispenser throws charges of IMR4064 to no worse than .1 gr. There aren't any powders you need to stay awayf from, because auto dispenser keeps dropping powder until it reaches the weight you set it for.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
steve4102

I have the Lyman 1200, had it for years. It works great, accurate, fast and I would be lost without it.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I have the PACT dispenser-scale setup that serves very well.
I use it with extruded powders for target rifle loads. The Ball process powders measure well enough not to need weighing every charge, and my pistol work doesn't justify the precision.

A friend tried one, found his not as accurate or reproduceable as mine, sent it back and got the RCBS.

I think the reason you read so many reports both ways about all brands is that they are at the cutting edge of what consumer electronics will do, and not everything they mass produce is up to snuff.

There is a rumor that the Prometheus dispenser is coming back. Five years ago it was $1250 and is expected to be more like $2000 if it becomes available.
Old December 1, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
UGH

I have a Chargemaster. It works perfect and I would buy one again. It sure beats weighing each charge on a scale
Old December 1, 2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I have the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and use it exclusively for my single stage reloading. After fighting a Redding beam scale that would lose zero if i bumped into it I can't believe the difference the Lyman makes, especially in the speed department. Two years and it works like the day i bought it. Worth every penny and very accurate so far. I kept the old Redding just in case the power goes out though.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:15 PM   #7
gearheadpyro

I've got an RCBS Chargemaster 1500, love it, use it all the time. It was totally worth the money to me.
Old December 1, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
rrp

The RCBS chargemaster is well worth the money. Very accurate and easy to use.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Uncle H

+3 on the RCBS. I have an older model. It's slower than the more recent models but it's on the money every single time no matter if it's using stick or ball powder. Can't beat it for accuracy.

I even use the scale solo for checking loads from my Dillon 550B.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:00 AM   #10
Tex S

Quote:
+3 on the RCBS. I have an older model. It's slower than the more recent models but it's on the money every single time no matter if it's using stick or ball powder. Can't beat it for accuracy.
You can send it to PACT and they will update it for you.

www.pact.com
Old December 2, 2009, 11:44 AM   #11
CraigC

Heard some credible complaints about the speed and overall usefulness of the Lyman. Nothing but good about the RCBS.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Doodlebugger45

I have never used one of these, but this thread has me intrigued. How long does it take the dispenser/scale to actually dispense the charge? Let's say you are trying to throw a 22 gr charge of W296, how long does it take to get that in the pan so you can dump it in the case? And is that time linear? Let's say I want to throw a 65 gr charge of 4831, would it take nearly 3 times as long?
Old December 3, 2009, 11:04 AM   #13
xd1984

x4 for the chargmaster. i reloaded about 6 months before i could afford one. man did it take longer without one. some of my friends rib me because my scale cost more than my relodaer but im glad i spent the money.
Old December 3, 2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Inspector3711

Quote:
Heard some credible complaints about the speed and overall usefulness of the Lyman
I don't know, mine has the next case filled before I'm ready to seat the next bullet. My largest cartridge so far is .25-06 though. That may change as I start to load my first magnum rifle cartridges soon (.270 Wby), but it'll still be faster overall than my beam scale. It exceeds my requirements for speed. It's been on target within .1 grains every time I've checked it. I'd say it works just fine in my application for over two years now. As far as usefulness goes, it dispenses accurate loads in a timely manner and to date I haven't found another use for it.

Doodlebugger45, as indicated above, my dispensor has an "auto repeat" function. I set the weight after pressing the button and it keeps kicking out the same charge until I hit the auto repeat button again. While I set a bullet and seat it the dispensor is weighing out the next charge. By the time I've seated the bullet and placed the finished cartridge in the case, the next load is weighed and in the pan. It's like clockwork. My dad has a Pact and he loves it but it is just a hair slower and he has a short wait with larger cartridges. Can't speak for the RCBS, but I hear it's a good unit.

Last edited by Inspector3711; December 3, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:39 PM   #15
MSfatboy

RCBS Chargemaster

I reloaded for about 20 years without this fantastic device> I love it and would sure hate to have to go back to the tedious process from before. I only have to wait on the dispenser on the magnums like 300WSM. Every charge is the same no trickling. Also great for load development just punch in he #of grains hit dispense repeat 4 times then bump up load weight to next increment> saves lots of trouble and time
Member Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club
Old December 24, 2009, 07:04 AM   #16
troy_mclure

ok, im ready to order. but was wondering if anybody uses it for touchy powder like 800x ??
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 24, 2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Jim243

4+ on the RCBS 1500, bit pricy but worth the extra cash, if you do a lot of rifle reloading it is a must. Pistol reloading you need a good powder measure that works on your press, while scale is important, I don't weigh each reload about one in 10 or 1 in 20. I use a Lee Clasic Turret and their Autodisk Powder Measure set up.

I do rifle reloads on an RCBS Rock Chucker press and the 1500 is slicker than butter in getting the reloads done.

Jim
Old December 25, 2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Peter M. Eick

Another positive view of the chargemaster setup. Mine is the older slower version but it has been working steadily for nearly 10 years now. I bought one when it first came out and every rifle round I have fired was loaded with it. It just takes about 30 seconds to do a 308 sized round on mine.

If I want to make it go faster I toss a load about 5 grns under the desired and then let the dispenser do the last 5 grns.

I know weighting every charge for the 30/30 is overkill, but heck I have the tool and like the precision.
Old December 25, 2009, 07:46 PM   #19
wncchester

"powder dispensing scales? are they worth the money?"

I believe the answer to that is the volume you load and how much time you could potentially save. I am a low volume rifle shooter so it sure ain't worth the cost to me! And I'd never in he77 weigh charges for handgun ammo no matter the volume, there just ain't enough value in that to be worth the effort.