The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
dgray64

Is there a rule of thumb percentage less powder....

I'm loading some .40 S&W 155g Raineer flat nose bullets. The closest recipe that I can find for the HP-38 powder that I have is 5g to start, but...I heard that you are supposed to use a lead recipe for Raineer bullets. Can't find one for this bullet. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Dave
Old November 21, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Too many variables. If the bullets are the same shape and weight and are seated to the same depth, and if the bullets are hard enough, the loads may be the same. Look at Hodgdon's loads for .45 ACP with 230 grain round nose shape, for example. But when you get to higher pressures and velocities that answer can change. Hodgdon's .357 Mag data shows a huge 35% difference, but then they are arriving at a 300 fps velocity difference, too.

Note that seating depth can have quite an effect on pressure in short pistol cases, with the deepest bullet base raising pressure most.

I suggest you call the bullet manufacturer and ask if they've got a recommended COL and starting load? If so, they may not have HP38, but might have 231. They are the same powder from the same plant with different packaging, so the load data is interchangeable. Otherwise, if you know the bullet base is going no deeper into the case than the jacketed bullet of the same weight you have load data for, then I would knock 20% off the maximum load for the jacketed round and see if you get trouble with fouling or signs of pressure? If not, creep it up. Make sure the gun functions OK.

BTW, how deep the base goes in is called seating depth, if you hadn't guessed. It's not the same as using COL (cartridge overall length) to control seating because different bullet designs have different lengths. You can use COL and seating depth to help determine one another, depending which way you want to go?

Seating Depth = case length + bullet length - COL
COL = case length + bullet length - Seating Depth
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 21, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Plated bullets can be loaded with medium jacketed loads. Keep them under 1200 FPS and you should be fine. Start at the starting charge and work it up. I have loaded a lot of Rainier and Berry's plated with jacketed data and had very good results and no problems.