The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2009, 06:39 PM   #1
troy_mclure

contrary load info

going thru my reloading books(on .44mag), and much of the max loads are far apart. some of the min loads are near max, some of max loads are near min.

so do i just pick the load i like the looks of best?

im trying a 180gr jhc with h4227, the loads i like are hodgdon's(27.5gr-29gr) but many of the loads range from 25gr-27.3gr.

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 19, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

As long as you are looking at the data for the same style/weight bullet, I would start with the minimun and work up fom there. Data like this is not uncommon.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 19, 2009, 08:27 PM   #3
troy_mclure

i picked middle of the road, @ 25gr, any more would have been compressed load.

im not too comfortable with compressed loads.

its mostly going to be a plinking load @ 50-100yd.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 19, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

This happens for several reasons. One is that some data is developed in test barrels which, by SAAMI definition, have minimum dimension chambers, and thus get the highest pressure a load will produce in a given case. Data developed in regular firearms often has larger charges because the sample gun had a more generous chamber than a test barrel does. Revolver loads additionally can be developed in guns not only with different chambers but different barrel/cylinder gaps and different weight frames with more or less stretching. Different case brands have different powder capacities that affect the pressure, and different primers can start the powder up faster or slower. Some brass is thicker near the mouth of the case and can grip better with its crimp, helping increase start pressure. Lots of pressure variables here.

A good rule of thumb is to own at least three manuals and, for safety, start with the lowest starting load you find among them or your other load resources. Then work up gradually, watching for sticky ejection or other pressure signs. I know it is less convenient than starting in the middle, but metal is hard to put back once it's stretched, so taking the extra time is a good precaution. Mostly it will turn out to have been unnecessary, but not in every single instance. Reloading is not for the impatient. Also, sometimes you find a best accuracy load that is lower than you expected, so you don't want to miss finding that along the way.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 20, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
SL1

Contrary data occurs often for the .357 and .44 Magnums because SAAMI changed the pressure that they operate at when SAAMI adopted the new electric transducer standards for measuring the pressure. If you compare loads developed in CUP (with the copper crusher system) you will see that they generally exceed loads developed in PSI (with the electric transducer system). Why SAAMI chose to do that has been the subject of a lot of B.S., and often the B.S. includes something about the loads being "equivalent." But, it is clear that the max charge weights and the velocities came down with the new standard.

So, check the pressure data for you conflicting loads and see if that helps explain it.

SL1