The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1
KMAY

Oops made a mistake with my primers....

First of all I would like to say thanks for making this great fourm so us reloading noobs can ask stupid questions

And now for my question. Can i use magnum rifle primers in my 30-06? I called bass pro over the phone to get them to hold some for me and some how the put the magnum large rifle primers on hold. Had a buddy of mine pick them up because i was out of town and he didnt know they were not the right ones and now i cant return them.

So can i use them or better yet does anyone have any WLR they would like to trade for my WMLR primers? I have 1000 of them.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
smleno1mkIII

I have used WLRM in 30-06 before but its not really a recommended practice if you back off the charge by a grain or two it should be ok just really pay attention to your COL. keep in mind there are some 30-06 loads that actually call for a magnum primer and remember to use the starting charge don't I repeat do not start with the most powerful load in the book and as you increase the charge keep a sharp eye out for signs high pressure. Ive reloaded for seven years without a single mishap knock on wood so listen to the directions and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
TriumphGuy

What that guy up there ^^^ with the hard to spell name said. Use starting loads and work up slowly and you'll be fine.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
KMAY

Even for a noob who has never loaded a single round before? I just got all my equipment and havent even started to reload yet.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5
smleno1mkIII

I strongly suggest you make friends with some one who does know what there doing and learn as much as you can from them.I didn't have that luxury I had to teach myself but If you make friends with some one who does you will learn alot faster. Explaning these things without being able to do it hands on and have you understand it will be very difficult.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:18 PM   #6
KMAY

Thats the plan. I learn pretty fast and love to read up on stuff that interests me. Theres a guy on a 4x4 fourm i am a member of and he has already offered to show me a few things and answer any question i may have. I plan on getting someone to show e how to reload a few rounds before i attempt any on my own.

Thanks for the answer on the primers. I just needed to know if using them was a no no or if it was okay.

Have any recomendations on reloading manuals? I already have the new Hornady maual but would like to get a few to cross refrence.

Thanks in advance.
Kyle
Old November 17, 2009, 11:22 PM   #7
smleno1mkIII

the newest Lyman is very good my first manuel was a Lyman still have it lots of useful info telling you how to get started and learn the basics and all
Old November 17, 2009, 11:25 PM   #8
KMAY

Ill look into getting that one. thanks for the quick reply.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:27 PM   #9
smleno1mkIII

No problem
Old November 18, 2009, 04:33 AM   #10
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome to TFL. I recommend getting the reloading book from the projectile supplier you intend to use.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:01 PM   #11
KMAY

My first candidate for a good all around bullet for my 30.06 is the Hornady 165 sst. What do you guys think about this bullet? It will be used for deer, pig, coyotes occasionally.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Gbro

I do not use the .308's but I load them(SST's) in .277 and .284
For what I use them for, they work great.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

The .30-06 is a military cartridge, originally, and the military uses magnum level primers exclusively. They need to guarantee ignition at very low temperatures. You may find they are advantageous to consistency with powder charges that are less than a case full.

The usual rule of thumb for switching between standard and magnum primers is to reduce the load 5% and work it back up, watching for pressure signs. This applies no matter which way the switch is going. For technical reasons. there are situations in which using magnum primers actually reduces peak pressure rather than raising it, as you would expect. So treat any change as if you were expecting increased pressure with the change, until it is proven otherwise.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 18, 2009, 11:30 PM   #14
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have used all kinds of magnum primers in place of standard primers. Assuming you are using STARTING loads, I have never had a problem. The reloading manuals often specifically state that you should not use magnum primers but they are perfectly acceptable if, as Unclenick states,you start at the low end and work your way up. I use exclusively magnum primers in my .303 loads and get really good accuracy.
Old November 21, 2009, 04:13 PM   #15
KMAY

So as long as i start at the lowest end of the chart i should be able to work up a safe load correct? Thanks for all the help guys, im not doomed after all. Haha
Old November 21, 2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
So as long as i start at the lowest end of the chart i should be able to work up a safe load correct?
Yes, but be sure to crossreference with a least a couple of other credible reloading datas. Do NOT take just one source as gospel. The two hardest pieces of advice for a newbie (term of endearment, not a condescending name on this forum) to follow through is to read more than one book and to seek a mentor. Looks like you're doing both as well as asking questions.

Be careful, but not timid. Be confident, but not arrogant. In due time, you'll be well on your way.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 22, 2009, 12:37 AM   #17
KMAY

Well it looks like i wont have to worry about using these primers. I was up at bass pro and found a guy that is having a hard time finding magnum rifle primers so i told him i would sell them for what i had in them. Thanks for all the help guys.