The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2009, 09:58 PM   #26
wncchester

"As a veteran handloader with experience with both types of presses, I'm sure you've done testing that proves that the "spring" in turret presses is a detriment to accuracy? "

Yep, I sure have. So have a lot of other experieced loaders. It's not vast, but press spring is never an asset to precision reloading.

You would never be happy with a Forster Co-Ax press. Nor a Bench Rest shooter's arbor presses and hand dies. Neither of those press designs have threads so the dies can't possibly be locked down!

Last edited by wncchester; December 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:01 PM   #27
riceman138

I too was considering a turret press and was looking at the Lyman and the Redding models. After Wncchesters comments I spoke to a reloader at the gun shop I got my first 410 from back in the 60's He had one and made the same comment about the tolerance and said he only uses it to weigh down the bench now. He thought it was a great idea at the time.

So now, it is down to the Rock Chucker Kit or Redding Boss Deluxe Kit. Or possibly a never used Rock Chucker kit that is 20 some years old. Although I do have an aversion to used stuff.
Old December 24, 2009, 10:22 AM   #28
johnjohn

I have both turret and single stage(both Lymans). I like 'em both. I can live with a little spring in the turret.
Old December 24, 2009, 10:44 AM   #29
CraigC

Quote:
He had one and made the same comment about the tolerance and said he only uses it to weigh down the bench now.
You hear lots of this from older reloaders. Fact is, I've NEVER seen any results from actual testing, only biased opinions. Far as I can tell it's all based on 50yr old myth.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:07 AM   #30
riceman138

That could be. It sounded as if he purchased one sometime ago and formed an opinion. I would imagine that they have improved the tolerances, at least with ones made in the U.S.A.

Being new, and asking a LOT of questions before I start purchasing items for my bench (now being stained); I find you can get many different and conflicting opionions.

What I do know is that I want quality, bang for my buck, made in the USA whenever possible.

I thought about a kit, then you get this or that powder measure, beam scale, or trimmer sucks. So if you buy a press and piece meal the other pieces it gets pricey.

It would be interesting to find out how the different pieces of the Rock Chucker Supreme and the Redding Boss Kit Deluse compare.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Uncle Chan

I'm not a hardcore reloader, but have loaded 10 of thousands of rounds on various presses I own, including a 550b, a lee classic turret, and various single stage presses. I've notice no difference between the turret and the 550b.
Old December 24, 2009, 02:17 PM   #32
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
Consistency is the most important factor, does the turret head not move the same every time? So the "spring" is such a detriment in a turret press but the lack of locking threads on the Co-Ax is not?
The amount of deflection due to spring in a press or turret head is related to how much force is being applied, which varies with brass size and hardness, speed of operation, amount of lubrication, etc. and thus is very hard to replicate consistently.

The amount "float" in the co-ax press is preset, regardless of the other factors above. It is always consistent. And just to be clear, the lock ring is locked tightly to the die threads, and the lock ring & die float as a unit in the die slot of the co-ax press. When a turret press head moves during use, it moves up and down, but at an angle too (bending and play on the turret axis). The top and bottom of the the co-ax die slot are machined parallel, ensuring that there is no tilt or angle imposed when the die floats.

Andy
Old December 24, 2009, 07:07 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Uncle Chan,

Your Lee Classic's turret is supported at its perimeter, as is the 550B tool holder. No big deflection problems there. The Lyman Spar-T (Spartan Turret) has its turret supported in the center by a bolt acting as its axle. There is a stop in the frame casting at the back, opposite the ram, to keep deflection from exceeding a limit, but in order for that stop not to drag on the turret, it has to leave a little room for deflection.

When I tried load .30-06 on my Spar-T I got measured cartridge runout that ran to 0.008". I moved to the Redding Competition Seater before later switching presses, and it cured the runout problem. So there is a workaround for that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle