The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
snomhf

Seeking 380 load advice

Greetings!

I've been searching the forum for something close to what I'm loading but haven't found anything. Sorry if this is out there and I just haven't found it.

I just purchased a Ruger LCP and want to begin loading target rounds for it. Here is what I want to use:

Bullet: MBC .380 95 gr LRN
Powder: Ramshot True Blue
Primer: CCI500

I've been using the Ramshot Load Guide with good success for my 45 acp which lists a bullet type of the same weight as the ones I bought from MBC (230 gr LRN) but the loads for the 380 only list HP bullets in weights of 90 gr and 115; all jacketed. I don't trust myself enough on this so I'm coming to you for help.

The Ramshot Guide lists a 90 gr HP XTP (Extreme Terminal Performance) Hornaday with a starting load of 3.7 gr. The only other load is a 115 gr Nosler JHP with a starting load of 3.3 gr.

So, with the bullet I want to use, should I use a load at about 3.5 gr? I always test my loads with a Chrony and the NOS lists a starting velocity at 725 and the Horn is 800. I was figuring I should try to stay under about 780. I don't mind loading on the light side and wondered if I should even start at 3.3 like for the NOS.

What do you think of my calculations?

Advice much appreciated.
-mark
Old November 21, 2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Dave R

Have not used that powder for .380 before, but I don't see anything wrong with your logic.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
snomhf

Thank you for the vote of confidence Dave.