The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 19, 2020, 10:55 AM   #1
KBP

Oil or wax?

When dealing with older long guns what is the best treatment for the surface of a rifle or shotgun? I am not talking about moving parts but the outside of the barrel, receiver or other non moving parts. I read somewhere that a good quality wax or polymer will preserve the metal better. What has anyone else found?
Old November 19, 2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Nacho Man

I use both for long term storage.
Renaissance wax apply and buff. Then a thin coating of RIG grease.
Old November 19, 2020, 01:48 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Grease for long term storage with no regular maintenance. Oil will run off with gravity pulling on it. WD-40 if you can regularly reapply. Wax is a lot of work to put on.
Old November 19, 2020, 01:48 PM   #4
NAW

Gun specific wax is by far the best for long term storage. I waxed up a stock and action of a browning blr and took it hunting in very rainy weather. I couldnt find any rust o it when i was done.
Old November 24, 2020, 09:24 AM   #5
Arrowhead37

I tried out plain ol' Johnson's paste wax back in the late sixties because I got tired of finding rusty spots on my guns using oil. I have had no rust issues since.
Old November 24, 2020, 09:36 AM   #6
FITASC

Both Johnson's and Renaissance are excellent in this regard.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 24, 2020, 10:29 AM   #7
BarryLee

Renaissance on the wood and RIG on the metal seems to work well. I try to wipe off and reapply periodically.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman