The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 5, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

Colt collectors Association Convention 28 Sep - 2 Oct 2011

I had the opportunity to attend the Colt Collectors Association Convention this past Saturday. After the 3 1/2 hour drive from here to KC, spent a couple hours drooling over all of the wonderful firearms - they really need to issue towels when you go in. The Colt revolving Rifle/Carbine display was awesome, as was the Colt London display. There were Patersons - from small pocket model .28 caliber ones to .36 cal 9 inch barreled ones in cased sets. Numerous cased, engraved pocket models and 1851 Navies, and……………………. on & on.

Got to meet Dennis Russell and spent over an hour talking with him. He had SN 1 US Grant Commemorative Navy, SN 0X Grant/Lee Pair cased set, SN 251X Grant Lee Pair cased set, and a Conquistadors del Cielo '51 Navy on display. The Grant and Grant/Lee pair sets he got when Colt auctioned the archive guns in 2009. The Conquistador model he just picked up within the last year when it popped up on GunBroker. Then after all that, while we were talking, he pulled out a gun rug and pulled a stainless steel 1861 Navy out. There were only 8 of this model made in 1982 and is the holy grail of 2nd Gen Colt BP collectors. While there, I picked up a copy of Dennis’ new Collector’s Handbook and Price Guide #6, and had him sign it.

It was definitely worth the trip to KC to see all the Colt’s on display, and for sale (anyone want a $45,000 SAA?).
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 5, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Smokin'Joe

Sounds like a great trip, Fingers. Those in the Northeast might consider a trip to Hartford, CT to view the Colt Collection at the Museum of Connecticut History. The collection contains early prototypes that predate the Patterson, one of a kind experiments and even Colt made Gattling guns. I only wish that the collection were larger. Check it out at:

http://www.museumofcthistory.org/colt.asp
Old October 5, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Hardcase

Wow, that sounds like a fabulous time, Fingers!

And, fellas, don't forget that the last weekend of October is the big show in Springfield, Mass - the Winchester Collectors Association will have something like 600 tables there. I've been to the Reno show and it's not to be missed!