The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 17, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Maser

Non-Firearm Section?

I know this is a forum for firearms, but I think it's safe to say a good majority of TFL members (myself included) are also involved in non-firearm shooting. Such as airguns, archery, knife throwing, etc. I was thinking maybe a section dedicated to them may be a good thing for this forum.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

You mean sort of like this one: http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13 ?

That's at THR and I've often wondered myself why we don't have a forum like that here at TFL. I think the reason is that we have been sharply focused on firearms only. Maybe it's time for us to consider a forum such as that.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:55 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am all for a couple new sections... Air rifle and archery...
Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Chaz88

Some of the gun related threads devolve or evolve, depending on how you look at it, into totally non gun related topics. Maybe there could be a place for those conversations to move to.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 17, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
The Tourist

I agree. I'm a knife guy, and I think most of the guys I hang around with have folding knives clipped to their jeans.

I've seen such columns deteriorate. If the concept of "gun related edged tools" was tightly monitored and promoted, I don't see a problem.

And, I've never owned an air-gun, it might be fun to read about.
Old January 17, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6
sserdlihc

I like the idea of an airgun, knife, and archery sections to the forum. I am not an archer but I am always willing to learn about something new.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

We already have sections that are appropriate to all of those things.

"The Hunt" routinely has threads that are archery related.

"Gear and Accessories" routinely has threads about knives and other such items.

I've seen multiple threads about airguns too.

Personally, I don't want any more diversity.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:43 PM   #8
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
"Gear and Accessories" routinely has threads about knives and other such items.
This was info I did not have, or had forgotten. You may have solved our problem.
Old January 18, 2010, 04:05 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Peet assassin,
Air rifle posts are all over the place... Gen Dis, Rifle and hunting all get them...
Problem I find, is I am not so inclined to always look at the rifle section as I am not so interested in the high volume traffic since I am not really into C-fire rifles like I am hunting and shotguns. But if I see an air rifle thread I check it to see if I can be of help.
Brent
Old January 18, 2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Personally, I don't want any more diversity.
I don't think you have much to worry about, PK.

Based on past history, sooner or later another moderator will wander by and say something like "This is a FIREARMS board. Having forums on non-firearms topics would be like [insert inappropriate body part] on a [insert incongruous animal]! Not gonna happen!! The next thing we know, you'd all be clamoring for a gaming forum! :barf:"

Although I think, m'self, that an airgun forum wouldn't be stretching the point all that much...
Old January 18, 2010, 05:04 PM   #11
The Tourist

Considering the forum and our interests, wouldn't all products be related?

I can see a thread on deer knives, but I doubt if there would be much traffic in discussing whittling knives.

As for air-guns, I see that as a legitimate hobby.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:14 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I could see an airgun forum, except that I'm a little afraid that it would be filled with bored 8 year olds looking to "soup-up" their $39 Crossman.

If it were restricted to high(er) powered and big-bore hunting air guns then it would probably be worth having and informative. Policing it might be an issue though.
Old January 18, 2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Mal H
Staff

For those who wanted a non-firearms forum, I have some bad news - the decision is to not add one.

We gave the suggestion considerable consideration and debated it all yesterday and today. We feel that a non-firearm weapons forum would change the focus that has practically been the trademark of TFL from day 1, and that is that TFL is the foremost forum for the advancement of responsible firearms ownership. TFL is "simply the Finest Firearms Forum on the internet" as Rich has said more than once on these pages.

Sorry for those who got your hopes up, but you have to realize that TFL cannot be the be-all and end-all forum for any and all peripheral topics broadly related to firearms. We have to stay focused. There are numerous forums on the internet that cover edged weapons, archery, etc., much better than a single catch-all forum could do here at TFL even with a few sub-forums under it.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:02 PM   #14
sserdlihc

Nah! I didn't get my hopes up. I knew it was futile.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Chaz88

Quote:
I knew it was futile
Resistance is futile TFL will assimilate you!

I liked the idea because it would be nice to talk to the same people on other topics. Also I can't keep up with multiple forums.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 19, 2010, 05:18 AM   #16
Maser

I might as well chime in again so the TFL Staff don't think this was a "drive-by".

Anyways, I'm not happy with the outcome, but am pleased the Staff spent 2 days discussing it. I shows it was a legit idea. I know we could go to other sites to discuss non-firearms, but that would mean we would have to get to know the entire new community and it's mentality. None the less, the powers that be made their decision and I thank them for hearing us out.
Old January 19, 2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Wagonman

Just as a gratuitous shoutout to the Mods. I was reading another forum and realized what a fantastic Moderating staff we have.
Old January 19, 2010, 10:25 AM   #18
The Tourist

I gave this some thought last night, and I have to admit the decision was probably in our best interest.

Oh, if I have some pertinent and useful info on new knives--and I write it in an adult fashion--there is no doubt that the mods will allow a discussion in the "Gear" section.

But I have to tell you, I quit going to many forums over the past year, in fact, I just got a PM about that.

I don't know why, but there is a very unhealthy situation going on in knife and bike forums. Sort of a "frathouse" attitude. It's been attracting "an element." So much so that one forum owner I know hunted down and invited us older guys to come to his forum, and he created a knife section for us. It is hidden from view unless you are specifically invited to join that area.

Sadly, it is needed. And I reluctantly admit that as a 'knife guy.'
Old January 19, 2010, 11:41 AM   #19
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I could see an airgun forum, except that I'm a little afraid that it would be filled with bored 8 year olds looking to "soup-up" their $39 Crossman.

If it were restricted to high(er) powered and big-bore hunting air guns then it would probably be worth having and informative. Policing it might be an issue though.
I can see it now... it would be an "adults only" forum, and you'd have to swear you were over 21 to get access to it. Air gun nastiness... I like it.

But you couldn't restrict it just to high-powered and big-bore air guns... what about my R7?? My IZH46?? After all, size isn't supposed to matter...

Oh, well...

Tourist, that's interesting -- and sad -- about other forums going downhill that way. And it's yet another reason to appreciate the job done by the moderators here.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:52 AM   #20
Chaz88

Quote:
very unhealthy situation going on in knife and bike forums
I gave up on most of those long ago, and on some knife forums mostly dedicated to forging of knifes. Because of the rampant un-moderated nastiness from some people. Keep up the good work TFL!

Old January 19, 2010, 12:05 PM   #21
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz88
I gave up on most of those long ago...knife forums
I agree, I did it, too. And it was the best decision.

I like knives, I use them, and I'm in the cutlery industry. But even there I switched to kitchen knives. The "chest-thumping warlords" got to be a real pain after a few years.

Now, I don't mind a spirited and passionate debate. Heck, even amongst my peers we still debate carbon steel vs. stainless or folded, chisel grind vs. v-grind, etc. But we keep it to the slap-happy "Ford vs. Chevy" stuff most guys enjoy.

So as a knife guy I voted "no knives." And I'm afraid it's best.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:23 PM   #22
Chaz88

Quote:
Now, I don't mind a spirited and passionate debate. Heck, even amongst my peers we still debate carbon steel vs. stainless or folded, chisel grind vs. v-grind, etc. But we keep it to the slap-happy "Ford vs. Chevy" stuff most guys enjoy.
Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual. But... I will leave it at that.

Old January 19, 2010, 12:33 PM   #23
The Tourist

Quote:
Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual.
Well, if the parameters were tight, and the mods gave the okay (and we acted like adults) I'd like nothing better.

The problem is that it takes an adult with self-control to know the difference between his 'feeling' and actual history or performance.

Give you an example. In many knife forums you could actually initiate the worse flame war by simply saying "I like Microtechs." Within moments some kid would feverishly type in--usually in all caps--"Why do you hate Spydercos?" And the rant was on. No thanks.

And then you have the survivalist whackos repeatedly trumpet about every tactical knife on the planet for their rigorous mall experiences.

I've heard it all. Yikes, they cut a guy in half on "CSI, Miami" last night. I expect the sales of 50 dollar katanas to mushroom by noon today.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:52 PM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tourist
Well, if the parameters were tight, and the mods gave the okay (and we acted like adults) I'd like nothing better.
That brings up another point....

We already have a forum wherein interested individuals can discuss anything that they'd like. They can even restrict the conversation to as few, or as many, individuals as they see fit. Besides that, the topic originators are the actual Moderators of each new topic!

It's called Private Messaging.
Old January 19, 2010, 01:02 PM   #25
The Tourist

Quote:
It's called Private Messaging.
Yes, I know. The problem is that a vast membership might be left unaware of some new useful advances.

Let's suppose my favorite knife company Graham Brothers--who may not be commonly known cutlers--come out with a new revolutionary knife made in CPM-Tourist-CM.

This new invention might be just the ticket for not only hunters, but sailors, wilderness campers and working cowboys.

However, because it's better for this forum as a whole to rigorously control avid trolls--and I know they exist on this matter--we all lose out.

It's a fine line, and I'm troubled that it exists. On this matter, however, tighter control is necessary.