The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 9, 2020, 10:41 PM   #1
craigmcm270

284 Win Build in an 03 Action Question

Hi guys.
I have an 03 made by Remington, Barreled action that was sporterized by grandfather in the original 30-06 chambering. Serial number is in the 3millions. The barrel is marked with a date of 03/1942 at the very front right where the front site was cut off. It was then passed down to my uncle, and then to me. The barrel is shot out on it. In it's time it was holding sub 1" groups scoped. Now it barely hits a paper plate. I'd like to rebarrel this gun in 284 Win. I've read so many posts on here about doing the 284 in all types of action except the 03. I'm going to ER Shaw do the work. I handload and I like things that aren't the norm. I've read the best way to go to be able to shoot the long for caliber 7mm bullets is to gi with the long action. This is going to be a dual purpose gun 25-26 inch barrel with a heavy sporter barrel. It'll be a deer/black bear and possible elk gun, but id also like to be able to shoot local matches with it. But just to have fun. My main goal is to use it as a long range deer gun. I've heard and read stories of the rebated 284 not feeding correctly is some actions. Has anyone done a rebated rim case build on an 03 that would have any experience with this?

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of stuff about the 280, and 280AI, but I'm pretty dead set on the 284.

One last question is should I ask for any freebore. I understand it going on a long action and can set the 160gr+ bullets out far enough in the magazine, but will I need more freebore to accommodate that.?

If the 284 is ruled out because of my action, 338-06 is a possible backup. But my hope for my first custom is to be a 284. The action has been professionally worked and is super smooth. It also has a very nice Timiney installed. It's also drilled and tapped and still has what look to be Warne bases. I appreciate all the feedback, but as i first mentioned my main concern is feeding issue.

Thanks in advance.
Craig
Old March 10, 2020, 11:16 AM   #2
HiBC

I believe its your rifle,do as you wish.I beliee you get to have your own preferences,and you don't need to justify them.

I intend you no disrespect.

Now I will give you my honest feedback which you may ignore.

Why did they invent the 284? The fat ody/rebated rim was a way to gain 30-06 case volume for a short actin rifle.

I'm just scratching my head and wondering why work that hard to get 30-06 case capacity in a rifle designed for the 30-06?

You have a famiy heirloom,and a darn nice one.I have a high regard for the 1903/03A3 rifle.

They don't make them anymore. The ones we have are it.

I have not worked with a 284 in a 1903. Maybe feeding is not an issue.

But suspect the fatter case will require altering the receiver rails..Then there is no going back.

Any chance there is a youger person ext in line you will pass this rifle on to?

You are correct, for a 7mm on Grandpa's 03,the dea of a 280 or a 280 AI sings.

The idea of a 284? All I can do is shurg and say "Do whaever makes you happy"
Old March 10, 2020, 11:16 AM   #3
std7mag

Craig,
284 Win is plenty enough medicine for what you want to do.
But i do have several "concerns" about your planned build.

I did my 284 build on a commercial long Mauser action wearing an E.R. Shaw 1.5 contour, 24" barrel. Sucker weighs 10 lbs.
Your length & contour will weigh more. Not entirely suitable for hunting.

E.R. Shaw in my opinion does good work! All the barrels i've gotten from them are sub MOA for 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Their bluing is beautiful!

The one thing i wish i had done different is to get them to chamber for 7mm-08, and get custom reamer to go to 284 Win.
When Winchester did the SAAMI standardization it was released in their Model 88 lever action, and their Model 100 semi auto.
The old trick to help keep pressures down was a long throat. In the SAAMI 284 Win it's really long! You'll have no issues seating a 160gr bullet to the base of the case neck.

You may want to call E.R. Shaw and ask if they can chamber with a customer supplied reamer.

Best of luck to ya!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Std7mag

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 10, 2020, 11:38 AM   #4
RaySendero

Guess I'll offer another different opinion.

I assume you will reload, so I like your idea of chambering for the 284W.
Don't think your going to have problems feeding and
Your asking the right questions about freebore.
Get the barrel twist fast enough for the longer heavier bullets.
Go with more freebore so you can load that 284 out beyond standard length - The magazine will allow you to reload to longer COL and give you even more case powder volume.
Old March 10, 2020, 04:17 PM   #5
craigmcm270

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Guess I'll offer another different opinion.

I assume you will reload, so I like your idea of chambering for the 284W.
Don't think your going to have problems feeding and
Your asking the right questions about freebore.
Get the barrel twist fast enough for the longer heavier bullets.
Go with more freebore so you can load that 284 out beyond standard length - The magazine will allow you to reload to longer COL and give you even more case powder volume.
Yes, I'm definitely a reloader. And I definitely love keeping these obscure and almost fading cartridges alive. In my personal opinion, if it weren't for Winchester completely screwing up their marketing scheme back in the early 60's, the 284 Win would likely be one of the major cartridges being produced today.

My barrel is going to be a 26" ER Shaw, medium sporter contour barrel. I'm going with this contour and length because I wouldn't mind shooting it in local matches just to get out and have fun, not necessarily to win. Shaw does great work and they'll easily be able to reblue the action to the blueing of the barrel. And as I mentioned before the hole idea of doing this in the longer barrel in a long action is to be able to seat the 160gr+ bullets out far enough, with the right freebore. I'm still debating on the 1-9.5 twist or the 1-8 twist. I likely won't ever be shooting the 195gr bullets but I will jump I to the 160 grainers. But predominantly I'll be in that 140-150gr range. I wish they offered a 1-9 twist but they don't. As for freebore, I'll probably have to ask Shaw what they recommend.

Last edited by craigmcm270; March 10, 2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old March 11, 2020, 01:49 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

The only issue with the .284(that was Winchester's design to achieve .270 Winchester and .280 Remington performance from the new Winchester Model 100 auto loader and Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifles.) in an '03 is the thing is a .308 length cartridge. The rim diameter is the same as an '06. It really needs a short action vs the long of the '03. It's doable, but you'll need a spacer in the mag well. A hunk of nylon will do that.
There is no doubt the .284 will be fine as a deer/black bear/elk gun. And Hornady, at least, makes 7mm Match grade bullets.
"...use it as a long range deer gun..." That will depend on what you call 'long range'. Most deer bullets and cartridges drop like bricks past 300 yards.
The lack of easily/readily available brass doesn't help and it is pricey stuff. Midway shows 3 brands, one of which being Winchester who only makes it when they feel like it. The new Hornady runs $63.99 per 50. Norma(that's always expensive) runs $84.99 per 100 and is currently on back order.
Old March 11, 2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Jim Watson

My LR friend says there are a good number of shooters using .284 Win and a somewhat improved version, the .284 Shehane. Are they enough to keep brass in production? Are there enough 6.5x284s still going to neck that brass back up?
I don't know, but with good dies, you could probably stock enough cases to wear out a barrel.
Old March 11, 2020, 06:11 PM   #8
old roper

I don't think Shaw will chamber 284 long action or custom throat. I think only way your going to get it chambered is with gunsmith. I used gunsmith that's in Texas for my 284 on long action and was little extra cost, but worth it.

Peterson is making 284 brass

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/76217
NRA Life Member
Old March 11, 2020, 10:13 PM   #9
std7mag

Short action/long action doesn't matter when ordering a barrel.
And 284 Win does best with intermediate or long action.

Old March 11, 2020, 11:10 PM   #10
old roper

std7mag, I agree it doesn't matter when ordering a barrel but for long action you may not get barrel supplier to chamber a long action for 284.

All OP has to do is call Shaw and find out.
NRA Life Member
Old March 12, 2020, 12:24 AM   #11
std7mag

Ok, i think i'm connecting what your saying.
The person installing the barrel to the action.

In the case of the 284, that should be a non issue.
Heck, i have a Savage 110 in 223 Rem from the factory.

And if a long action, no, you don't need blocks/spacers for the magazine.

Old March 12, 2020, 10:29 AM   #12
old roper

std7mag, I'm not the one mention needing spacer as I already have 284 build long action. I don't do any work on my own rifles so when I get rifle finished it ready to go. I told OP on another site, I send dummy rds for throating and how many rds in my magazine.
NRA Life Member
Old March 12, 2020, 11:57 AM   #13
std7mag

Roper,

T.O.Heir said about the spacer.