The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 8, 2019, 12:46 PM   #1
jckeffer

Walther PP in 7.65mm

Is ammo still available? Is there a market for this piece? If so what should I be asking for it?

Old November 8, 2019, 12:47 PM   #2
jckeffer

Old November 8, 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Jim Watson

7.65 is .32 ACP in American, readily available.
Pictures don't come up here.
Dollar value depends on condition and era.
Old November 8, 2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Ben Dover

One of James Bond's guns.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 8, 2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Nope.
Bond was issued a 7.65 PPK when his .25 Beretta proved inadequate.
Nobody remembers he got a ..38 Bodyguard, too.
Old November 8, 2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Ben Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Nope.
Bond was issued a 7.65 PPK when his .25 Beretta proved inadequate.
Nobody remembers he got a ..38 Bodyguard, too.
Good catch, Jim! I hadn't noticed PP and not PPK!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 11, 2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Archie

Ben, I do remember the Bodyguad.

"Ineffective against flamethrower." You had to be there.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old November 25, 2019, 05:07 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Is ammo still available? Is there a market for this piece? If so what should I be asking for it?
Yes, 7.65mm aka 7.65mm Browning is the .32 ACP in the USA.

Market? yes, but its no longer one of the popular .32s, smaller and lighter pistols are what is most in demand, but it is a Walther, so someone will want it.

How much? Depends on which PP it is. And, of course, condition. Pre WWII guns and Nazi marked guns have a different value to collectors than models made after WWII. Bare gun? Gun with original box and all paperwork? makes a difference in what people are willing to pay.
Old November 25, 2019, 08:52 AM   #9
FITASC

IS it one of the French-made ones post WWII? I had one of those and they were VERY well made
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 25, 2019, 11:37 AM   #10
ammo.crafter

PP

My CCW for many years using performance ammo.

Do internet research and you will find a great many high performance ammo choices to consider.

Reliable, concealable, and cool.

OK so I carry a SIG in 9mm now.
Old November 26, 2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Dave Anderson

"Nobody remembers he got a ..38 Bodyguard, too."

Actually it was an S&W .38 Spl. Centennial Airweight, which may be why nobody remembers the .38 Bodyguard.

Jim, I wonder if you might be thinking of Matt Helm, who often did carry a Bodyguard Airweight. I'm referring to the books, not the rather silly movies.

Of course quibbling over guns used by fictional characters is kind of frivolous. I remember years ago the late Bill Jordan had a Q&A column in a gun magazine. A reader asked if James Bond's PPK in the movies was a .32 or a .380. Bill's reply was classic: "James Bond's gun shoots blanks. Cartridge doesn't matter much when shooting blanks."

A couple of issues later another reader wrote to advise it was a .32 ACP. Bill replied, "I defer to your superior knowledge in this important matter."

Last edited by Dave Anderson; November 26, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old November 26, 2019, 08:55 PM   #12
ligonierbill

I checked Gunbroker completed auctions, and sale prices ranged from $365 to just over $900. The PP just doesn't get the interest that the PPK does. It is a great shooter, however. For a new shooter "graduating" from 22s, it is easy to shoot well and very accurate.
Old November 27, 2019, 01:50 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

The PP was intended to be a Police Pistol, and the PPK was developed from the PP, some say the K is for kurz (short) others say it stood for Kriminal, signifying it was the smaller "detective special" gun. There are books about them, interesting reading if that's your thing.

It's been ages since I read the Bond books and the movies aren't quite the same though they do get some of the books "right" in places.

Bond was given the PPK in .32ACP and told that it "hits like a brick through a plate glass window". I suppose, compared to the .25 he had before, it did, but Ian Fleming really didn't know much about guns.

If I remember right, the .38 came from a friend of Bond's an American, with their CIA. It was referred to (by the Brits) as "a cannon".

And yes, ineffective against a flamethrower tank....

The Gun Control Act of 1968 forbid the importation of the PPK, it missed the size requirement by 1/4" or so and Walther created the PPK/s essentially putting the PPK slide on a PP frame. PPs were not banned by that law, they were big enough to comply with the limits in that law, and could have been imported afterwards, though I have no idea how many were, if any.
Old November 27, 2019, 02:09 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Also, if it was a 9x18 (standard 9mm)
9x18 typo??

Standard 9mm (9mm Luger) is 9x19mm

9x18 is the Soviet Makarov round and has other dimensional differences as well.

Walther did produce its own proprietary 9x18 round, different from the Makarov, with performance in between the 9mm Parabellum and the .380, called the 9x18 Ultra. Intended for police contracts, it was not a commercial success, and they are pretty scarce today.
Old December 3, 2019, 06:13 PM   #15
Paul B.

The way I understand it the PP stood for Pistole Politzie (sp) and the PPK was Pistole Politzie Kriminal with Kriminal meaning for police detective types. I'm going from memory on that as that's how it was when I had a german PPK .380 many years ago. The instruction manual for my German PPKs doesn't have that. If I understand correctly the "s" in PPKs stands for special. I have one of the French PPs (.32ACP) and it is a well made firearm as is my PPKs in .380 ACP.
Paul B.

Tags
7.65 , walther pp