The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 1, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1
A-Mac.50

More silencer Qs

I have heard that silencers are expendable meaning that once they are used after a certain amount of shots its garbage, from all the built up residue in the chambers.Is this true? also I have heard there are many different silencers like ones you fill with water or grease is this true? any links or pics would be helpful. Thanks for your time.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:25 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Suppressors are sort of like cars; you can get many different styles, options and price ranges.
Suppressors come either wet or dry. Meaning they are meant to be used with a liquid medium inside(wet) or not(dry).
There are many different styles of baffling mechanics inside also. It just depends upon who designed the suppressor and which interior and exterior they felt was best, most dependable best value for the money etc.
As for being expendable, they really aren't. Most reputable manufacturers will back up their products. Cleaning is a service offered by many. Also many suppressors can be cleaned by the enduser. Don't forget that any suppressor sold (in the USA) requires a tax stamp, so that alone would keep it from becoming expendable for most.
I'm sure so other people will add more info or help in better ways than I can though.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:52 PM   #3
MGRacer

Quote:
I have heard that silencers are expendable meaning that once they are used after a certain amount of shots its garbage, from all the built up residue in the chambers.
Older suppressors that used wipes instead of baffles do require the wipes to be replaced after a period of use, however, the suppressor is not "expendable" from my perspective since I paid a $200 tax on it. Here is a picture of the internals of an old MAC suppressor (late 1960's to 1970's technology) that uses brass eyelets, baffles, spirals, and wipes. The wipes must be replaced every several hunderd rounds for maximum suppression. In the picture, you can see the wipes in the endcap on the lower right -- these are worn quite a bit as the holes are getting a larger diameter.

I have other modern suppressors with thousands and thousands of rounds through them that still work fine.
Old January 2, 2006, 06:28 PM   #4
A-Mac.50

Wow thanks guys for the info, Ive never seen the inside of a suppressor before thats pretty cool, thanks for clearing my questions up.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
MGRacer

Here is a better look at a more modern suppressor internal baffles:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/images/pr...ac52-4-500.jpg
Old January 3, 2006, 03:05 PM   #6
The British Soldier

I had the opportunity to work on the 9mm Welrod pistol; which is a silenced WW2 vintage 'assasination' weapon designed for SOE. The silencer had a brass diffuser inside it, but behind and ahead of it were 1cm thick neoprene washers with a small hole pierced in them. Adjacent was a pair of washers with felt sandwiched inbetween.

They were good for about 100 rounds before the washers and felt were thrown away.

I guess that is the price one pays for having a pistol reputed to be amongst the 'quietest' ever made!

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.