The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 3, 2017, 02:37 PM   #26
Picher

I have three .223 bolt-actions, one is a Rem 700 Stainless Light Varmint that I use for varmint disposal in the fields around the house and the bigger fields down back. I like stainless because I don't like to have to clean bores every time I shoot a critter (about once every couple weeks).

For that use, I don't want a semi-auto that should be cleaned more often. My other rifles with chrome-moly barrels get cleaned every time they're used.

JP
Old June 3, 2017, 11:38 PM   #27
the possum

Why would ya have to clean it after one shot? Are ya using corrosive primers or somethin? My "tractor gun" was a semi auto, and I didn't clean it for years. During which I put a crate of ammo through it, got drenched in the rain, and so covered in dust it would literally spill off when I picked it up.
Old June 4, 2017, 01:16 PM   #28
Tinbucket

The .243 hands sown. Velocity,flat shooting bullet choice.
I can say the same of similar for whatever I hand load.
The .243 seems to have lost favor, even though it outshines many others.
One thing find a firearm with the longest barrel for the round. 26in is not too long and it doesn't add but an ounce or two over a 22 in. The reason they want to sell .22in barreled rifles they are cheaper.
Mossberg is even putting a .22in on a 300 Win and .338 too.
That is just silly , and far undercuts performance.
Old June 4, 2017, 03:49 PM   #29
Picher

the possum: I've had one chrome-moly barrel ruined because I put it away dirty, after shooting several varmints. We have a fairly moist atmosphere in Maine and that, plus leaving it next to a metal sewer stack in the closet, did the job. By spring, I could barely see through the tube and it was severely pitted.

I didn't intend to leave it like that through the winter...just forgot.
Old June 6, 2017, 01:38 PM   #30
Don Fischer

I think quite a bit would depend on where you are. I've got 10 acre's on the edge of town. I start shooting much here and town will flip out! Are you a fairly large land owner with few if any other family's living close by??