The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 26, 2017, 01:01 PM   #726
Ozzieman

And you called it right dakota.potts

650 AEK-971
httpThe AEK-971 is a Soviet / Russian selective fire assault rifle that was developed at the Kovrov Mechanical Plant (KMZ) by chief designer Sergey Koksharov in the late 1970s and 1980s. The primary model, the AEK-971, uses the 5.45×39mm round fed from standard 30-round or larger box magazines used by the AK-74, AK-74M, and similar weapons.s://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEK-971
History[edit]
The AEK-971 was developed to participate in a competition announced by the Ministry of Defense of the USSR, during which preference was given to the AN-94. The initial AEK version differs from modern samples, as many innovations were perceived as unnecessary by the Ministry of Defence, which led to a simplification of the early model. The AEK-971 is approximately 0.5 kg (1.1 lb) lighter than the AN-94, simpler in design and cheaper to manufacture.
The AEK-971 assault rifle has been combat proven in Chechnya tested by naval infantry and interior forces, and prepared for mass production. Only a few small batches of this assault rifle have been produced so far and adopted for service with units of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation.[2][3]
Though losing an initial contract for production against the AN-94 as a result of the Project Abakan assault rifle selection trials held from 1980 to 1994 in Russia, the Russian Army begun field trials of this weapon. The AN-94 assault rifle, which was officially adopted by Russian army, has a slight accuracy edge over the AEK-971 in 2-round-burst mode. In full automatic mode or during longer bursts (3–10 rounds per burst) the AEK-971 is more accurate. In late 2014, an updated variant of the rifle passed state trials and will be tested operationally with Russian forces in early 2015.[4]
The AEK-971 is based on previous AK rifles in internal design and layout, but features a Balanced Automatics Recoil System (BARS) that enhances the traditional Kalashnikov long stroke gas piston operating system by reducing the negative effects of recoil. Balanced recoil systems were previously applied in the AO-38 and AL-7 experimental assault rifles and in the AK-107 and AK-108. BARS works by shifting mass toward the muzzle of the rifle as the bolt and bolt carrier recoil rearward by way of a counter-weight that negates the impulse of the gas piston and bolt carrier, resulting in more controllable automatic fire. For the AEK-971 automatic firing accuracy is improved by 15-20% in comparison with the AK-74M.[1][5]
The travel distance of the AEK-971 reciprocating parts is less than in non balanced recoil AK-pattern designs increasing the cyclic rate of fire significantly. The original automatic fire rate of the early model was 1,500 rounds/min and was decreased to 900 rounds/min for the AEK-971.
The AEK-971 uses an adjustable notched rear tangent iron sight calibrated in 100 m (109 yd) increments from 100 to 1,000 m (109 to 1,094 yd). The front sight is a hooded front post. Each AEK rifle is fitted with a Warsaw Pact side-rail bracket for mounting optics.[2]
Models and variants[edit]
There are three different models: the AEK-971, AEK-972 and AEK-973. The different variants are most easily recognized by their respective magazine curvatures. The AEK-972 is chambered in 5.56×45mm NATO and the AEK-973 in 7.62×39mm. The AEK-972 uses the magazines of the 5.56×45mm NATO chambered arms of the AK-10x series and the AEK-973 all of the standard 7.62×39mm AK/RPK magazines.
The AEK-971 and the AEK-973 have one variant each: AEK-971S and AEK-973S. These are improved variants with a new trigger mechanism with the location of the thumb safety-selector lever on the right side, receiving additionally a three-shot burst fire mode, and an extended padded retractable lightweight stock. When the stock is retracted, the shoulder rest connects with the pistol grip forming a streamlined structure which allows the weapon to be used without hampering fire capabilities. Burst fire accuracy of the 5.45×39mm AEK-971S and 7.62×39mm AEK-973S is two times higher than that of the 5.45×39mm AK-74M and 7.62×39mm AKM assault rifles.[2]
On 23 December 2014, the Russian Army announced that a successor variant of the AEK-971, line designated the A-545 (official GRAU designation 6P67), as well as the AK-12, had passed state Ratnik trials and would be accepted into service with operational units for evaluation. It is expected that both weapons will begin being trialed operationally with the Russian Armed Forces by March 2015.[4] The 5.45×39mm A-545 features iron sights that consist of a rotary rear drum aperture and a hooded front post creating a significantly longer sight line and ambidextrous fire mode selection controls. On the A-545, the Warsaw Pact side-rail bracket is omitted and replaced by a Picatinny Rail on a redesigned receiver top for mounting auxiliary equipment, such as aiming optics.[3]

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:04 PM   #727
Ozzieman

Another sub gun for your annulment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 644.jpg (111.2 KB, 72 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:53 PM   #728
dakota.potts

That one took some digging, but it's a Polish Blyskawica, a weapon built by the Polish home guard covertly as a resistance weapon. Very interesting history on it. For a while I thought it must have been an experimental Sten variant.
Old February 27, 2017, 07:43 AM   #729
Ozzieman

I believe your right on that one, sorry but I am on the road this week and can't answer with data till I'm back

Old March 4, 2017, 12:34 PM   #730
Ozzieman

Good one Dakota

644 Błyskawica submachine gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C5%8...submachine_gun
The Błyskawica (Polish for lightning), was a submachine gun produced by the Armia Krajowa, or Home Army, a Polish resistance movement fighting the Germans in occupied Poland. Together with a Polish version of the Sten sub-machine gun, with which it shares some design elements, it was the only weapon mass-produced covertly in occupied Europe during World War II.[citation needed
In 1942 engineer Wacław Zawrotny proposed to the Armia Krajowa command that he and his colleagues prepare a project of a cheap, home-made machine pistol for use by the Polish resistance. Its main feature was its simplicity, so that the weapon could be made even in small workshops, by inexperienced engineers. The idea was accepted, and Zawrotny, together with his colleague Seweryn Wielanier, prepared a project of a sub-machine gun, soon afterward named Błyskawica (Polish for "lightning"). To allow for easier production, all parts of the weapon were joined together with screws and threads rather than bolts and welding, which were commonly used in firearm production ever since the 17th century.
The design was based on two of the most popular machine pistols of the era. The external construction with a retractable butt and magazine mounted below the gun was borrowed from the successful German MP 40. The internal design of the mechanism was modeled after the British Sten. Blowback, with an open bolt, it offered good performance and high reliability. Unlike the Sten, and its Polish clone called the Polski Sten, it employed a free-floating firing pin and two springs behind the bolt - one served as the return spring and the other as the buffer spring (similar to the later Sterling submachine gun). The weapon was designed in this fashion so that resistance army members could use any captured stocks of German MP40 ammunition cartridges.
The documentation was ready by April 1943, and by September a prototype was ready. After extensive tests in the forests outside of Zielonka near Warsaw, the weapon was presented to the commanding officer of the KeDyw, August Emil Fieldorf, who found the design acceptable. In November the plans were sent to a number of workshops spread throughout occupied Poland and a serial production run was initiated. The name was coined after the three lightning bolts carved on the prototype by its designers, pre-war workers of the Elektrit company that used a similar logo.
The production started in a workshop officially producing metal fence nets in Warsaw. After the tests of a prototype series of five pistols, the KeDyw ordered 1000, and later an additional 300. Until July 1944 and the start of Operation Tempest roughly 600 pieces were built in Warsaw. During the Warsaw Uprising an additional 40 were built. It is also possible that the Błyskawica was also produced in small quantities outside of Warsaw.

Old March 4, 2017, 12:40 PM   #731
Ozzieman

Staying with the sub gun type
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 646.jpg (63.1 KB, 67 views)

Old March 4, 2017, 10:31 PM   #732
dakota.potts

Daewoo K7?
Old March 5, 2017, 08:19 PM   #733
Ozzieman

dakota.potts another good one.
646 Daewoo Telecom K7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Telecom_K7
The Daewoo Telecom K7 is a 9×19mm Parabellum submachine gun with an integral suppressor used by the Republic of Korea Armed Forces. It is based on the Daewoo K1A submachine gun, but is simplified by utilizing a blowback action rather than the gas impingement system of its parent firearm. It was first displayed outside of Korea in the United Arab Emirates at the IDEX (International Defence Exhibition) 2003 convention.
The K7 is currently manufactured by S&T Daewoo.[1]
Design[edit]
Despite the fact that the H&K MP5SD6 was already in service with the Republic of Korea Armed Forces by the time the K7 reached production status, most of the special forces relied on unconventional weapons during covert operations due to high price of imported and domestically produced SMGs, more specifically, silenced SMGs. Due to the substantial cost of the importation and production of such weapons, the Republic of Korea Army Special Warfare Command requested the development of a silenced submachine gun that would be less expensive to import or manufacture than the MP5SD6. The Defense Agency for Technology and Quality, a part of the Agency for Defense Development, and Daewoo Telecom, a subbranch of Daewoo Group, officially started development in April 1998, finishing the project in December 2000.
Due to the fact that the K7 was developed from the Daewoo K1A, the K7 features parts that can be interchanged with those of the K1 and vice versa.
As the K7 uses subsonic ammunition (9×19mm), there is little need for the weapon to use the direct gas impingement system of the K1A. Instead, the K7 utilizes a simple blow-back system. A 30-round vertical box magazine is used and it can also use the 30-round magazines taken from the IMI Uzi or 32-round magazines from the Beretta Model 12. As the magazine well of the K1A was retained, there are internal accommodations for the smaller 9 mm magazine. There are 3 firing modes, single shot, a 3-round burst and fully automatic. However, prolonged fully automatic fire has been shown to damage and degrade the baffles within the integral suppressor. As a result of the light bolt, a cyclic rate of fire of 1150-rounds per minute is achieved.
The K7's upper receiver is based on that of the K2, albeit slightly modified.[2] The hammer/fire control unit and telescopic stock are also derived from those of the K1.[2]
Suppressor[edit]
The suppressor reduces the pressure of the gas produced during discharge, and by extension, reduces the amount of noise generated. In addition, the suppressor significantly distorts the sound of the gunshot so that it is incredibly difficult to pinpoint the location of the shooter. Per shot, the mean average of noise generated by the K7 is approximately 111.5 dB.[

Old March 5, 2017, 08:26 PM   #734
Ozzieman

I will leave you with this one and a couple of I have no idea and will be unable to add for a week.
Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 679.jpg (68.6 KB, 70 views)

Old March 5, 2017, 08:27 PM   #735
Ozzieman

I have no idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I have no idea 9 and darn uggggggly.jpg (130.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg I have no idea 11.jpg (63.6 KB, 72 views)

Old March 5, 2017, 09:30 PM   #736
Scorch

679 is a Reising Standard 22LR.
Old March 7, 2017, 07:46 AM   #737
Ozzieman

Scorch you are correct, I will add data and another at the end of the week

Old March 12, 2017, 09:00 AM   #738
Ozzieman

Scorch, sorry for taking so long

You were correct. I was not able to find any data that I could copy without copy right issues so the following has some good read and photos.
679 Reising .22 Semi-Auto Pistol
http://americanhandgunner.com/exclus...i-auto-pistol/
http://americanhandgunner.com/exclus...i-auto-pistol/

Old March 12, 2017, 09:04 AM   #739
Ozzieman

Next but I don't expect it to last long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 680.jpg (41.4 KB, 47 views)

Old March 12, 2017, 09:22 AM   #740
mikejonestkd

savage 1907?
A friend has one in 32acp, its a neat handgun
Old March 12, 2017, 09:43 AM   #741
Mike40-11

Wow. Just found this thread yesterday and went through it all. Some neat stuff!

Anyway, #735 ugly is a Mark Krebs custom Dragon Gun. Don't know if it was a one-off or what.
Old March 12, 2017, 07:32 PM   #742
Ozzieman

20 minutes,,, not a record but good one mikejonestkd
680 Savage Model 1907
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Model_1907
The Savage Model 1907 is a semi-automatic pocket pistol produced by the Savage Arms Company of Utica, New York, from 1907 until 1920 in .32 ACP and from 1913 until 1920 in .380 ACP caliber. Although smaller in size, it is derived from the .45 semi-automatic pistol Savage submitted to the 1906-1911 US Army trials to choose a new semi-automatic sidearm. After several years of testing the Savage pistol was one of two finalists but ultimately lost to the Colt entry, which became famous as the Colt Model 1911. 181 of these .45 ACP pistols were returned to Savage after the testing and sold on the civilian market.[1]
Name and marketing[edit]
The Model 1907 is often erroneously called a Model 1905 because of the date Nov. 21, 1905 date stamped into the top of the slide on all Savage semi-automatic pistols. This is the date Elbert Searle was awarded one of his firearm patents, which were the design basis for all the Savage semi-automatic pistols.
Advertised with the slogan "Ten shots quick!", the Model 1907 was very popular because, despite its small size, it had a 10 round double-stack magazine. The advertising included a number of early celebrity endorsers, including William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Bat Masterson, and the Pinkerton Agency. Teddy Roosevelt was even presented with a Model 1907. Much of the advertising in the popular press played on the ability of an otherwise defenseless woman to use the Savage to subdue burglars and "tramps."
Design[edit]
A safety lever is located on the left side of the pistol, at the upper rear of the grip. Though it appears to have an external hammer, it is actually a striker-fired gun; the "hammer" is actually a cocking lever. Model 1907s made from 1913 until 1917 had a collared barrel and a loaded chamber indicator, allowing the shooter to tell by touching the shell ejection port whether a cartridge was chambered. The Model 1907 uses no screws (even the grips snap into place) and is simple to strip. The grips were made from gutta-percha, though some early production examples had metal grips. In 1912 the Model 1907 underwent a major design revision modifying almost every major component.
As with most semi-automatics, the pistol is readied for firing by pulling back and releasing the slide, which inserts a cartridge into the chamber and cocks the pistol. The recoil from firing a cartridge automatically extracts and ejects the empty shell, cocks the firing pin and loads another cartridge into the chamber, ready for firing.
Variants[edit]
Savage made two other very similar semi-automatic pistols, with many parts in common with the Model 1907. The first was the hammerless Model 1915; the .32 Model 1915 was made only in 1915 and 1916 and the .380 model from 1915 until 1917. Like the Model 1907, the Model 1915 uses no screws. The other is the Model 1917, made from 1920 until 1926 in .32 and from 1920 until 1928 in .380. The Model 1917 is mechanically the same as and shares almost all of its parts with the final version of the Model 1907 (including a smaller, thinner cocking lever "hammer"), but with a significantly larger handle. Because this required larger grips, the Model 1917 uses one screw through each grip to hold them to the pistol frame.
Military use[edit]
Although the Model 1907 was designed for civilian use, the French government purchased over 40,000 .32 ACP Model 1907s between late 1914 and 1917 for the French military in World War I. These military "contract" pistols are recognized by the presence of a loaded chamber indicator and a lanyard ring, or mounting holes in the grip for a lanyard ring; lanyard rings were not available on civilian pistols. The Savage Model 1907 pictured to the right is a French contract pistol. A much smaller contract of 1,150 pistols in the same configuration were purchased by Portugal, which are distinguished by grips bearing the lesser arms of Portugal instead of the standard Indian head.
In popular culture[edit]
In the 1978 film noir parody The Cheap Detective, Sid Caesar's character, Ezra Desire, uses a model 1907,[2] as does Jude Law's character Harlan Maquire in the 2002 crime drama Road to Perdition.[3]

Old March 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #743
Ozzieman

Thanks for finding that Mike.
Its beautiful "work" but the thing is so ugggly my guess is that they were trying to build a non lethal weapon making it so uggly

Old March 12, 2017, 07:35 PM   #744
Ozzieman

Next odd ball but beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 681.jpg (44.4 KB, 65 views)

Old March 12, 2017, 09:42 PM   #745
dakota.potts

I thought that looked like a Schwarzlose design, but some digging shows that to most likely be a Hino Komuro 1908.
Old March 30, 2017, 04:55 PM   #746
Ozzieman

Sorry about taking so long getting back on this one but work has taken me out of the country several times in the last couple of weeks

Good one dakota.potts

681 Hino-Komuro 1908
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/earl...o-komuro-1908/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hino%E...3Komuro_pistol
The Hino–Komuro M1908 was a blow-forward operated, semi-automatic pistol of Japanese origin and was patented by Yujiro Komuro.
It was chambered in 8mm Nambu, .32 ACP, and .25 ACP. The 8mm chambering was later dropped as the cartridge proved too powerful for the design.
As of December 1992, a cache of 17 Hino–Komuro Pistols chambered in .32 ACP were found in a warehouse that are believed to have been stored for 45 years and seven were retained by Japanese authorities for evaluation when the rest were scheduled for destruction as they were not legally registered. A small number of these weapons are considered highly collectible firearms in the United States.
The designer himself, Kumazo Hino, was also famous as a great inventor and an aviation pioneer. Most of the records were lost when Hino's home in Tokyo was fire bombed during World War II.

Old March 30, 2017, 05:00 PM   #747
Ozzieman

Another for your guesstimation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 699.jpg (72.5 KB, 41 views)

Old March 30, 2017, 09:51 PM   #748
mapsjanhere

Looks like one of the Lancaster pistols, so from the size of the front sight it's not in a howdah caliber
PS Found it, it's a 455
Old March 31, 2017, 06:24 PM   #749
Ozzieman

mapsjanhere your right but also wrong, one was a 2 barrel version and the other was a 4, this is the 2

699 Lancaster pistol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_pistol
The Lancaster Pistol was a multi-barrelled (either 2 or 4 barrels) handgun produced in England in the mid-late 19th century,[1] chambered in a variety of centrefire pistol calibres—chiefly .38 S&W, .450 Adams, .455 Webley, and .577 inch.[2]
It was a modernised version of the pepper-box pistol popular in the early-mid 19th century.[3] Unlike these earlier guns, which had percussion cap ignition the Lancaster was chambered for the more modern brass cartridges. It had a faster rate of fire than the standard-issue Adams revolver and was often fitted with a Tranter-type trigger to overcome the heavy pull of the revolving striker.[3]
Sometimes classified as a Howdah pistol, the Lancaster pistol enjoyed popularity with British officers in India and Africa during the British Raj owing to its faster rate of fire and increased reliability over contemporary revolvers. Unlike revolvers, it does not leak gas when fired since there is no gap between the chamber and the barrel.
Its ammunition had greater stopping power than the contemporary Beaumont–Adams and Colt Navy revolvers, making it ideal for colonial warfare. When facing charging tribesmen like the Zulus or Ansar (the so-called Sudanese Dervishes), more modern ammunition tended to go straight through the enemy who would keep going. What was needed was a heavy lead bullet that would lodge in their body and bring them down.[3]
It was eventually displaced by the various Webley revolvers in the late 19th century, as revolvers became more reliable and faster to reload, thus removing many of the advantages of the multi-barrel design. A few were still in use as late as World War I, and they were well known to be solidly built and easy to maintain.

Old March 31, 2017, 06:30 PM   #750
Ozzieman

Next one a well known company but not a very successful gun in its initial caliber.

Why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700 a.jpg (41.6 KB, 34 views)