The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 14, 2011, 03:46 PM   #1
DBLAction454

Interesting phenomenon

So I went to the range a few days ago with my USP 45 and started shooting... Grouping were ok and I was just getting warmed up when I changed my technique just to see what would happen. I stopped aiming down the sights. I just raised the weapon and pointed the barrel as if i were pointing my finger...

I was pleasantly surprised that my shots when right where I wanted them to go. I was getting 2" groupings at 21 feet just pointing and clicking... Makes it a lot of fun to hit what you want without much effort...

Im sharing this cause I've never really experienced this to this degree before and was wondering if anyone else has before with different pistols...The best part is that the USP is my carry and its nice to know I can be accurate without truly aiming with my carry weapon...

Let the sharing begin
Old August 14, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
g.willikers

Point or instinct shooting is a very good skill to have.
Many training schools teach it and it's wise to practice it.
There's many situations where the sights won't be visible fast enough or at all.
Old August 14, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
checkmyswag

Interesting post. I've done this some with shotguns and within 50m with rifles and of course with machine guns (M249). We would fire low and walk it into the target as the MG's would often not be sighted in well or otherwise passed around between soldiers and this technique was good enough to qualify with.

I haven't shot pistols enough to try this technique.

I think it may be a very valid point, especially in a self-defense situation.

Getting super tight groups is cool and nice. But for most practical purposes, getting a well aimed shot within some sort of acceptable range both in distance and in terms of grouping is more relevant. It's almost like getting a great time in a race, or a low score in golf, whereas most of us just need to run the race or hit the links. (what weird analogies)

So...survey says...do both!
Old August 14, 2011, 05:07 PM   #4
OcSpeed

Let us know if you try this a couple more times and have the same results.

I say that because whenever I try a new technique I do better at first and then not as good until or unless I practice more.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

An interesting post. I pretty much shoot this way most of the time. I have a vision problem - am right handed and don't have much central vision in the right eye. I've tried several techniques on aiming - have tried using the sights and done just O.K. I seem to have better luck pointing/instinct shooting like you are talking about. I think it is a skill you just have to practice and the more you do, the better you get. In reality, if you have to draw your weapon in a SD scenario, are you going to take the time to aim or are you going to point and shoot in this manner?

I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress as it can help all of us. Many thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 14, 2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Hawg

My dad was a point shooter. He never aimed at anything and was the best shot I've ever seen.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
chasep255

Never tried it with a real pistol but it works for me if I use an airsoft gun.
Old August 14, 2011, 09:09 PM   #8
KyJim

They taught point shooting in the military at closer ranges even in 1944. Look at about the 2:30 elapsed time on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXyi...eature=related
Old August 14, 2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Yung.gunr

Wow

Honestly, I had never known that was a valid aiming technique. I mean sure in SD I knew it would be something that you would have to do. But I always thought that practicing with the sights would give you that instinct. I will have to try this next time.

My eyes have truly been opened to something drastically different.

That video is very interesting as well.
Old August 14, 2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Discern

If you use the grip of shooters like Todd Jarrett, the handgun becomes a natural extension of your strong or shooting hand.
Old August 19, 2011, 03:09 PM   #11
dgludwig

Depends on what you're after, I guess, and how much you are willing to compromise accuracy in exchange for speed. But don't expect to see many Bullseye shooters at Camp Perry pointing their barrel as if pointing their finger.
Old August 19, 2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Mello2u

If you practice enough, you can assume a good firing stance, look at your target, close your eyes, draw and point at the target; open your eyes to find you are on target.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old August 20, 2011, 12:00 AM   #13
Amin Parker

I built a 1911 with a suppressor a year or so ago and had the sights removed to be replaced with higher ones to accomodate the unit. While testing the pistol for reliability i too was pleasantly surprised at the consistent accuracy i got with NO sights at all.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:27 AM   #14
NVBigEd

Cool.... That's as good a reason as any to get to the range this weekend!

Thanks!
Old August 20, 2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Dashunde

I rarely aim with any of my ccw's - draw/point/shoot is much more "fun" and far better (real world) practice for those pistols.

About the only time I use the sights anymore is to take a shot at some shiny or colorful bit laying around on the 50 or 100 yard lanes - a shard of clay pigeon perhaps - I get close, but never hit it.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:55 AM   #16
TailGator

Your report tells me that you pistol is a good fit for you and that you are nicely familiar with the firearm. I personally am of the opinion that both sighted and point shooting have value, and both should be practiced enough to be an available skill for someone concerned about meaningful self defense.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:04 AM   #17
dunerjeff

Many bow shooters have been doing that for a lot of years, some of the best can hit quarters thrown into the air and other stuff,all without any "aiming" so it makes sense the same can be done with pistol.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:28 PM   #18
RC20

You read about real world shootouts, and a lot of lead gets thrown about and nothing hit (police officers on one end).

You also read where they started aiming and ended the fight.

With the adrenaline flowing, things do not go the way you think.

Use the sights and center of mass ensures you will hit your target.

I would not use that method.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:52 PM   #19
ClayInTx

I have nothing against games but I do consider a game just a game.
Outside the game is the real world.

An example is boxing:
Hitting below the belt is a foul. Kicking is a foul. Biting is a foul. There is a referee who will call the fouls and penalize for these.
Wrestling is a bit different because it seems the referee always has his attention diverted when the fouls are being committed.

A street brawl is the real world and has no fouls. Kicking in tender places is good tactics. Eye gouging is a good technique. If an opponent goes down it’s a good time to stomp him in as many places as you can. The only way to penalize a foul is to run like hell if you can. There is no referee.

Camp Perry is a game.
A sidewalk going by a back alley is the real world.

Camp Perry allows a shooter time to take a Weaver Stance, carefully aim, and correctly pull the trigger according to all the good methods taught.
On a sidewalk going by a back alley by the time one takes a Stance he’s already been Weavered.

I own handguns for one reason: self defense.
I carry a handgun for one reason: self defense.
I practice shooting a handgun for one reason: self defense.

My practice is for hitting a sheet of typing paper at twenty feet by drawing as quickly as I can and point shooting.

I’ve yet to see a mugger referee on a sidewalk by back alley.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
You read about real world shootouts, and a lot of lead gets thrown about and nothing hit (police officers on one end).

You also read where they started aiming and ended the fight.

With the adrenaline flowing, things do not go the way you think.

Use the sights and center of mass ensures you will hit your target.

I would not use that method.
First and formost - Citizens have opposite rolls in most of weapon carrying America than LEO's do.
As their name would imply, Law Enforcement Officers are supposed to stand their ground, persue and apprehend or kill a shooter, we as ccw'ers are supposed to flee if able.

Some LEO's like guns & shooting and might benefit from point-shooting if practiced, and other just like being LEO's and the gun is just a tool, they might benefit from sights if practice is minimal.

If needed, I hope I have practiced frequently and well enough that if I have the distance to require sights I am possibly far enough away to flee the situation, which is my obligation around here.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:26 AM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...Let the sharing begin..." Sharing is communism. snicker.
Point shooting only works if the pistol fits your hand and you're using ammo the pistol shoots well. It's about eye/hand coordination. Works with a bow too. You must concentrate on the target though. Same idea as looking where you're driving. Look elsewhere and you'll drive/shoot there too.
"...you going to take the time to aim..." You will if you want to place the shot.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:09 AM   #22
CWKahrFan

Having a handgun with an easy-to-engage laser is a revelation for my point-shooting. I'll often pick out two or three widely seperated points across the room and then "instinctively" train my gun on each of them, then push the laser very briefly to see where it's ACTUALLY pointed... go back and forth between the two or three points repeatedly, continually refining nailing them. This has helped my point-shooting A LOT...

Sometimes I'll also do it as I'm walking around the house... picking out little targets as I'm moving. It gets better and better the more I do it.

As in any sport, eye-hand coordination is "everything"... Utilizing the laser is a cheap and effective way to help practise it IMHO.
Old August 21, 2011, 11:52 AM   #23
Joe the Redneck

Review the writings of the late Rex Applegate. You will fin dit interesting.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:08 PM   #24
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Camp Perry allows a shooter time to take a Weaver Stance
LOL!
I doubt anyone takes a weaver stance at Camp Perry!
Old August 22, 2011, 11:50 AM   #25
dgludwig

And if they did (adopt a "Weaver" stance at Camp Perry), I'd sure like to be there when the zebra-striped official showed up!