The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 31, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Gehrhard

Pietta 12" Target 1851 Colt Navy .44?

I was out and about at a blackpowder event yesterday and picked up a couple of items. This was one...

It is unfired and I describe it as above. It even has the Navy roll engraving. Wedge needs to tighten the barrel a hair more but is fine and cost a whole $175.

It is an anachronism. The grip bottom has a cutout for a detachable stock but none on the frame.

So, what is it really?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pietta 1851 Navy 12-inch 44 Cal Compressed.JPG (136.9 KB, 189 views)
Old July 31, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Hawg

A never was fantasy piece. The Navy caliber was .36 and none had adjustable sights or 12 inch barrels.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Gehrhard

Thanks Hawg. A definition of anachronism: "the representation of a thing in a historical context in which it could not have occurred or existed."

In any case, please remember the Army .44's were an adaptation of 1851 .36 Navy frames, and this is an 1851 style .44 barrel on that frame (small grip), hence the .44 Navy (despite Navy implying a .36 caliber, most of which were sold to the Army).

Anyway, does anyone know what Pietta this is -- I've never noticed one like this around.

Thanks again.

Gehr

Last edited by Gehrhard; July 31, 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Hawg

It's listed on Marstar's site as a long barrel target model.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:23 AM   #5
Andy Griffith

Dixie Gun works sells them, and I've had the one I bought from them now about 20 years- my first BP revolver- it was the cheapest one. It shoots very well with light charges, but the barrel is starting to loosen up pretty good- I think the longer barrel puts more strain on the front of the frame even with light loads. I did get the longer screw and nut that replaces the hammer screw and then a stock can be installed- which I did. I did have to fit it to the gun by grinding the stock and sanding the grips though. Nowadays, at 30 yards I can hold a 3" group with roundballs, 15grs FFF and a circle fly lubed wad using the stock- I know that would be disappointing for the target shooters, but I think this is within the guns capabilities currently. It used to shoot better, but it's loosened up.

I plan on replacing the frame with steel, but just can't bring myself to do that with it- it was the last gun my father shot.
Old August 1, 2011, 05:34 AM   #6
Bill Akins

I like it a lot. If you decide you want your money back out of it, let me know .

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 1, 2011, 10:02 AM   #7
arcticap

The rear sight ramp on the steel frame model above has a very high elevation adjustment compared to the brass frame Buffalo model.
Maybe that's an acknowledgement that it can withstand higher powder charges which results in it having a longer effective range.

Brass model:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...3c16821ec98051
Old August 1, 2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Gehrhard

Hawg, thanks again. Marstar actually sells a bead front-sighted revolver and doesn't have my version with these long range adjustable sights including a partridge-front (as far as I was able to tell long before I started this thread).

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/imag...NC44-450px.jpg

They do have nice things though: they DO sell a Navy brass frame carbine with my sights though. I didn't realize 1851 Navy's, which this basically is with the later rebated .44 cylinder, didn't have frames cut for a stock but used an extended hammer screw -- cool! Even at Dixie's price I don't dare spend more on the stock than I did on the gun, do I!? Oh no, I'm getting tempted to spend more money!!!

HEY! Does Dixie sell shims to tighten the wedge front to back/barrel to frame?

Andy/Arti, Dixie sells that REMINGTON framed gun you linked to, which I have also owned for so long, but this new one is still a Colt 1851 Army.

So, still a BIT of a mystery what Pietta did, when, why... Guess it is worth around $369 though -- I shoulda bought all the others they had! Only kidding...

Last edited by Gehrhard; August 1, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old August 1, 2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Hawg

The when is pretty easy. Just look at the date code.

Who knows why Pietta makes all the weird stuff?
Old August 2, 2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Gehrhard

Cool Hawg, thanks once again. My tired eyes in dim light seem to see the top 2/3rd's of a "BI" in a box which would be '97 apparently. I hope that was the best year of manufacture. ;-)

I note the sights have an acceptable amount of "white" around the blade at short attachable pistol stock distance from my face but are too fine at long, manly, arm's length. Guess a stock is in it's future after all.

I also noted the rammer is still that of a .36 despite the .44 chambering in this arm.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
'97 apparently. I hope that was the best year of manufacture. ;-)
Actually their quality improved around 2000 when they got new CNC machinery.
I've heard a lot of not so good stories about earlier Pietta'a but I have one made in 76 that's just as good on quality as the new ones.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:09 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

This Pietta from 1998 has the same .44 barrel and frame as your revolver. The cylinder is fluted and the grip frame is for a rifle stock. This was marketed as a Schneider & Glassick Carbine.

Old August 2, 2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Hawg

MCB his frame is steel.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Gehrhard

MCB, that may not be so practical but that sure is a graceful arm!