The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show in Hampton, VA

This was the Southeastern Gun and Knife Show which comes to three locations within easy driving distance about four times each year. They offer a buck off to me, either because I am so handsome, or because I am retired Navy.

The list of vendors is pretty consistent and most are cartridge people with a lot of knife vendors. There is a guy who makes flintlock period rifles and pistol and does very good work. Prices are not too bad. Apart from that guy there were exactly five replica revolvers in the entire show. Three were 1851 Pattern Colts in .44, a Pietta, an ASP and an ASM all brass frame. Pistols were used but one was in unfired condition (The ASM). Everyone wanted 150.00, a little too steep for a used brass frame revolver. I alredy have more of these than I deserve so I did not even make an offer. Two others were an 1860 Colt and an 1858 Remington from Traditions, new in the box at higher prices than Cabelas wants. In addition to these replicas a guy had a ROA with box and papers that he wanted 525.00 for. It was in great shape and I would love to have had it, but I let it go.

There were many orginal Colts and Remingtons at original prices. Some of these specimens were in very good condition. I am not smart enough to be able to detect a fake but these were very credible as originals at least to me.

I finally scored five tins of CCI 10s. for 4.50 a tin. Bass Pro Shop is at 6.00 a tin. I know that caps are available in bulk for better prices, but I don't shoot enough to make it worth looking into.
Old July 24, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
rodent.22

Doc - As a former Poquoson resident I used to attend the Hampton gun show at the Colesieum, usually pretty good. I bought a like new Ruger small-frame Bisley in .32 H&R magnum around 20 years ago. I'm living about 45 miles west now, and am getting too old and impatient to brave 64.....
Old July 24, 2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Rodent

I used to shoot out in Ivor, which is about 45 miles to the west.

Close?
Old July 24, 2011, 09:34 PM   #4
sltm1

Hell Doc, I'm retired Navy and they don't gimme [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] for it....even being a senior it's $6.00 to get in!! No respect out here in Idaho for your "better's", LOL!! That plus the local gun show's traditionally stink for c&b guns.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Scorpion8

I used to go to those when I lived in Chesapeake/VaBeach. They were always a great show. I miss those kinds of shows.
Old July 25, 2011, 03:20 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Two responses

For SLTM,

Hmmm.....Maybe it IS because I am so handsome.

Seriously, I agree with you about the absense of BP stuff. I went to a show in Dade City, Fl and there was more BP selection there than at any big show in Southeastern VA.

For Scorpion,

I guess these show are very consistent. There is never very much BP stuff, but still some of the youngsters fiddling with the assault rifles are fun to watch. I can just see them running around the back yard going "Bang....Bang!"
Old July 25, 2011, 07:01 AM   #7
mykeal

Assault rifles?

You mean one of these?
Old July 25, 2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

That would work for me but....

..I doubt that the "ego trips" would buy it unless it had thirty barrels which could be fird in rapid succession.
Old July 30, 2011, 08:23 PM   #9
rodent.22

Doc I'm in New Kent County, west of Williamsburg. I guess truly northwest of Tidewater.