The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 5, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
hiwall

New Ruger rifle trigger weight adjustment.

I just bought a new M77 Ruger. The trigger is heavy and it appears to be fixed. What is the best way to lower the trigger weight. I would like it at about 2 pounds. I found a few after markets trigger, but have no idea which to buy. The only other option is work on the trigger spring.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:58 AM   #2
603Country

I had the same heavy trigger problem with my new Ruger Hawkeye, so I finally took it to a local gunsmith. In less than 5 minutes, he had removed the action from the stock, rummaged around in a drawer full of trigger parts, and replaced the spring in the trigger assembly with a lighter spring. The pull then measured right at 2 pounds. It was quick and he only charged me a few dollars. The only reason I had delayed going to the gunsmith was that I thought that I'd have to leave the rifle for days or weeks so that he could order an aftermarket trigger and install it. As it worked out, I wasn't even there long enough for coffee.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:41 PM   #3
langenc

Better post that and other smiths names that can do that..

I replaced the trigger w/ a Timney-nearly $100 now. Ruger likes to(at least used to) brag that the gun purchase includes $40 rings but forgets the trigger.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:12 PM   #4
603Country

The fellow that did mine is out of Tilley's gunworks (or something like that) in Marquez, Texas. Nice guy, and the job was so quick that if I'd gone off to the bathroom I'd have missed the whole spring replacement. I think he charged me $10. It looked so easy that I'll do the next one myself (assuming that I can find just the right spring). I can't help but think that if I'd gotten a 'big city gunsmith' to do the job it would have been much slower and much more expensive. But...maybe not.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Dave Anderson

GUNS Magazine, April 2010 digital edition page 27:

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...GUNS/GUNS0410/

Replacement Wolff spring from Brownells is about three bucks.
Old June 15, 2011, 12:29 AM   #6
hiwall

Thanks for the information and comments. I found out that Timney triggers is 5 miles from the house. 125 dollars later I have a trigger that I can adjust. Dropped in except, the safety had to be fitted. A little grinding on the trigger area under the safety.