The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
montelores

Clean GP100 and .357 Cartridges

My first time firing a GP100 with .357 (only .38 Spl. previously) and the cartridges slide quite easily fore and aft in the chambers (the owner had cleaned the chambers due to advice about switching to .357 after .38 Spl.).

The .357 cartridges would slide back against the frame when the revolver was tilted up.

Question: Is there a problem if the cartridge is free to slide back and forth in this manner? I realize that the firing pin strike on the primer will knock the cartridge forward upon impact, but what happens after that?

This may only be a problem with a clean chamber, and a few rounds of residue will most likely change the situation.

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Monty
Old October 18, 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Rich Miranda

Monty, my Rugers have always done that to some degree. Never had a problem with them or that. I think that space is necessary so that you can get the cylinder closed after you've loaded it. Normal, I believe.

Rich
Old October 18, 2009, 09:21 AM   #3
indiandave

All revolvers do this. If the chambers were really tight you would always have trouble loading her up. Don't worry your gun is fine.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:36 PM   #4
robmkivseries70

Once fired, the brass will swell from the pressure and be a bit tighter so you won't have empty brass knocking about. If it doesn't eject easily, there are over pressure problems or something in the chamber that has captured the fired brass.
Best,
Rob
Old October 18, 2009, 06:28 PM   #5
GP100man

head space

it`s neccesary to let the case heads go by the recoil shield.On the GP insert a case & ya should have between .008-.012, .010 being optimum between case & recoil shield.

what happens during firing is the firing pin drives the case forward then begins denting the primer , when the primer ignites the primer slips back against the recoil shield (this is why when ya fire a case with just a primer the revolver ties up & won`t rotate) then pressure starts to build from the burning propellant pushin the case back against the recoil shield reseatin the primer, as pressure continues to build it seals the chamber & pushes the bullet on it`s way.

wanted to add: brass is a memory metal , meaning it likes stayin the same size .
during firing the pressure makes it seal in the chambers & after that pressure is removed it releases & tries to go back to it`s original size .
when loaded to over pressures the cyl actually swells & the brass with it & when the cyl returns (hopefully) to it`s original size the brass can`t & thus a stiky situation!!!

Last edited by GP100man; October 18, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: addition & spelun
Old October 18, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
montelores

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate the very clear explanations. GP100Man, thanks for the "blow-by-blow" sequence.

After firing, most of the the previously loose cases would remain in the "up" position (one would occasionally fall back into the chamber) after I pushed the extractor. It was a light push to extract them, so I assume that is how it is supposed to work.

The .357 has a much sharper recoil than the .38 Spls. (my first time with the caliber in a revolver), so it took a bit of time to get accustomed to it. The sights (sighted in for .38 Spls.) seemed to be quite close for the .357s, whereas the point of impact for a rifle changed by 6 inches when one switched from .38 Spl. to .357 (6 " higher at 50 yards for the .357s).

Thanks again,

Monty
Old October 19, 2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelores
After firing, most of the the previously loose cases would remain in the "up" position (one would occasionally fall back into the chamber) after I pushed the extractor. It was a light push to extract them, so I assume that is how it is supposed to work.
Get in the habit of pointing the muzzle up when extracting. Give the extractor a bit of a whack to sharply drive the cases out. That way none will fall back in or hang up under the extractor star.
Old October 19, 2009, 02:05 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
This may only be a problem with a clean chamber, and a few rounds of residue will most likely change the situation.
It's not a problem at all.

The cartridge actually under the firing pin is the only one that really matters and it doesn't have nearly as much play as some of the other cartridges. The two loosest cartridges are the ones that are most visible--the two on the left side of the gun.
Old October 19, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
montelores

Thank you for the pointers -

Monty