The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Nate1778

.380 cycling issue

I have been having an issue with my .380 reloads. Not so much performance but cycling. Here is the problem, I load a clip, and with the safety on cycle it through the clip. At least one round will get hung up on the next round in the magazine. I got to drop the clip, let the one fall out, then they cycle through no problem. Usually it is the first second or third round that does it. If I put my defense rounds in it which are hollow points as opposed to the RN in my reloads, they cycle fine. I have tried Flat nose and RN and both do the same dance. Round COL is within the manual for the bullet, last ones were at .980. Anybody have any advice, or dealt with this before. It also jams at the range, although not as often then just cycling it at home. Only difference between the defense rounds and my reloads is the HP are a bit shorter. Maybe some guns just like Hollow Points.........
Old May 18, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Sevens

What I would probably do in this case would be to compare your powder charge to different published sources and if you are safely below max, I would seat the round nose handloads a bit deeper (shorter COAL) to see how that affects their ability to chamber.

Remember that when comparing COAL, it's not always about the full length of that cartridge, but the shape of the nose of the bullet. Two different round nose bullets may feed differently even with the same exact precise COAL if the shape of the nose is thicker closer to the nose and the other is more slender.

And just to toss in a bit of my numbers that have worked, I've found success with Berry's 100 grain Plated RN in .380 loaded to 0.985 COAL in a Bersa Thunder. These feed reliably for me. Now yours are shorter, but if the bullet profile is different than the Berry's I'm using, they could feed differently.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Nate1778

That's what I am loading now is the 100grain Berry's, which is a great looking bullet for the money. Under it is 4.3 grains of Unique. I am about out of head space so seating the bullet further is a no go, at least for that powder.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Gbro

My LCP is very fussy on COL.
The Magtech's are .965-.971 and cycle just fine.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Scorch

I would check to make sure you are fully straightening out the case mouth flare. Also, many 380 ACP pistols need full power loads to cycle reliably.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6
ballardw

Some pistols are also a bit picky about hand cycling the action. Under normal operation the slide is moving at speeds you're not likely to create by hand and the timing of the magazine spring and how much of the cartridge is caught by the slide/bolt as it returns may be creating an issue.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7
velocette

As I read his post, he has been cycling the rounds manually.
"and with the safety on, cycle through the clip"
If that is the case, many pistols will not cycle properly when manually cycled.
A better test is whether the reloads cycle properly when fired in a normal manner.

Roger
Old May 19, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Nate1778

That is a great observation, It is not as often when firing them, but still happens. I would say every other clip or so. Usually only happens once per clip.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:56 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quote:
Also, many 380 ACP pistols need full power loads to cycle reliably.
4.3 Unique is a full-powered load -- it's even pushing it just a little. And Unique gives better performance in .380 than any other common powder, so he should be a little hotter than factory ammo (Buffalo Bore excepted, of course)
Old May 21, 2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Nate1778

Yeah the 4.3 is definitely a BANGER. In the defense of the load I am using Lee auto disks, which in all actuality are throwing right at 4.1-4.2 loads.

I did solve the issue, I bought a new .380. When in doubt, buy more guns.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:56 PM   #11
MrKTI

Well, at least you have bullets to use, look at the bright side ...

My LCP's both act this way with WWB (Truncated FMJ), but have not tried reloads (the no bullet thing). I assume you did the ramp polish thing, maybe not necessary on your pistol (didn't say LCP, I know).

Pulling back the slide and letting go should be the same as firing, but for some reason its not on my LCP's.

BTW (this is really why I answered your post), where are you getting .380 bullets ???? I have some backorded and don't want to try my 115gr lead in my .380.

John
Old May 21, 2009, 02:27 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Quote:
BTW (this is really why I answered your post), where are you getting .380 bullets ???? I have some backorded and don't want to try my 115gr lead in my .380.
I recently bought Remington 102 grain Golden Somethings from Pat's Reloading. Took a little over a month to get them. ~ $15 per 100.

Several of the small bullet makers have 95 grain RNL hard cast bullets. They work really well in .380 (at least in mine, YMMV)

Last edited by zxcvbob; May 21, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Nate1778

I am shooting 100 grain Berrys bullets. They were $68 shipped and it took them about 3 weeks to fill the order. Great Bullet.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=10