The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 30, 2006, 11:44 PM   #26
tony pasley

If concerned about being stopped use your cell phone and call the highway patrol. Asking the dispatcher if a officer is making a stop, report that you are concerned and going to stop in a well lighted area. The reason for calling before stopping is the dispatcher can confirm the stop also will advise the officer your intent to stop in a safe place. The highway patrol will also notify locals if it is a fake officer and will be waiting on the fake where you stop.
Old December 31, 2006, 01:45 PM   #27
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If concerned about being stopped use your cell phone and call the highway patrol. Asking the dispatcher if a officer is making a stop, report that you are concerned and going to stop in a well lighted area. The reason for calling before stopping is the dispatcher can confirm the stop also will advise the officer your intent to stop in a safe place.
That's a good idea, Tony, but there's a potential problem in that.

A lot of jurisdictions have multiple agencies active in the same area. Here, we have the highway patrol, sheriff's dept., township police, and municipal police, and the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand's doing.

Our policy is, unmarked cars will not make traffic stops unless the situation is an extreme emergency, and a fully decked-out "Tijuana Taxi" is unlikely to be anything other than a legitimate LEO.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 31, 2006, 06:17 PM   #28
Dwight55

One of the few things I do like about Ohio, . . . I have never seen anyone pulled over by an unmarked police car.

I have watched the "Cops" shows where they do it regularly in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, . . . and assume it is done in other places, . . . but I will in no case ever pull over for anything short of Cpt. Charlie's Tiahuana Taxi.

I have all three local sheriff's numbers and the OHP programmed onto my cell, and they will be getting a call, . . . and I'll be doing an OJ runaway while I am looking for a good place to land my vehicle.

I may some day have to stand in front of a judge for my actions, . . . but I really like that as an alternative to being the subject of a 2:00 pm autopsy.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 31, 2006, 10:05 PM   #29
tony pasley

If it is not Highway Patrol, they will send a unit to your location if you are not in a city. In a city the highway patrol will notify locals to what is happening and get a local sent.
Old January 1, 2007, 09:52 AM   #30
rickster

Getting back to the basics of this dicussion, if your gut tells you something is not right, it probably isn't. If you are close to a well lit area, by all means, drive there and stop. If not, stop and only crack open your window enough to communicate and hand out the proper paperwork. If something still doesn't feel right, get out your cell phone and confirm the stop.

Guess this is where the old saying comes into play. "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."
Old January 1, 2007, 10:18 AM   #31
shep854

If lit up, I slow down, turn on flashers (in my truck, where flashers do't work, I will wave to acknowledge the officer) and drive to a lit, populated area.

I had this happen once. It was at night, and I noticed a police car next to me. Since I have some friends who are LEOs, I looked closely to see if I knew the officer(I didn't). He saw me looking over, and when I looked away, he got curious and ran the tag. Because I was slow changing registration (I had recently bought the truck), he hit his lights. I slowly drove to an open gas station, and we discussed the issue
Old January 1, 2007, 01:43 PM   #32
NCHornet

Good topic, this actually happened to my wife about 17 years ago when we lived in CA. My wife is a very beautiful woman and has had problems with guys following her and what not. I made a point one Sat to show her how to get to every police, sherrif, or HP staion between work and home. I was happy I did because about 6 months later a guy pulled up next to her dressed in what looked like a policemans uniform and flashed a badge at her and told her to pull over. It was very dark outside and it didn't seem right to her, especially when the idiot starting yelling and screaming. Her brother is a San Bernardino County deputy and our best friend is a LA County deputy, and she knew they wouldn't be yelling at her they would be on the radio, anyway she proceeded to drive right into the employee parking of the police station right up to the back door where several cops were having a smoke. The perp kept on driving. I hate to think what might of happened if she would have pulled over.
I believe this sort of crime is pretty rare but feel you should be prepared nonetheless. In NC I have seen LOE's driving everything from Camry's. F250's you name it, and with no visible markings at all. These are mostly for the truckers but can pull anybody over. If the unit has a full light bar on top I would feel fine about pulling over. If the car just had the lights in the grill I would probably still pull over and look over the cops dress and equipment as he exits the car. If he has the Radio Shack special light on the dash, no way!!
I agree with calling 911 if you live in an area serviced by one agency, but here we have local police, sherrif, and HP so it can be difficult. If in doubt head for a police station or wait for another marked unit, but don't speed away. Better to have a pissed off cop than be dead.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:04 PM   #33
Duxman

Great topic and very informative posts.

Thanks everyone.
Old January 5, 2007, 08:14 PM   #34
Tripplethreat

It has been a law for sometime in my state that a police vehicle used for stops has to be marked with 6 inch high letters.A detective or a task force undercover unit usually calls in a marked patrol unit to make the initial stop,unless it is an extreme emergency. It should be conducted this way throughout the US,so the citizenry will know it's legitimate.
Granted there are some very dark gray DUI task force cars with black lettering that doesn't show up well in day light ,much less at night.
This is, of course, an attempt to hide the car from real violaters while at the same time to be in keeping with the requirements of state law.
I can certainly see where they are coming from with this,but generally a police vehicle used to make any traffic stop should be well marked even if the takedown lights are hidden until put into use.
Old January 7, 2007, 04:03 PM   #35
delta58

Our county LE has been using Dodge Durangos (unmarked), but the officers are in uniform. I think the main thing is if your are suspcious drive to a well lit, public area while OBEYING the speed limit, and probably having your flashers won't hurt.
Old January 7, 2007, 05:06 PM   #36
GreyFox

Very good topic, I got pulled over once, while, um Street Racing, by a fake, he had no intent on talking to me, I flew past him like a jerk ( i was young) and he pulled up on my bumper and turned on a blue strobe light, i guess maybe he was a fire fighter i dunno, but anyway, i pulled over and he flew by, I was quite relieved, I would like to add to what one guy said, the license plates are USSUALLY clearly labled with MG (municipal goverment)then some numbers or CG County Goverment) or (you guessed it the worst one to encounter) SG (state goverment) Allthough I know for a fact my local municipality has a red dodge stratus that has a normal liscense plate. I have seen it pull over quite a few cars and my fiance works for the county and handles all of the county purchases. I also don't think that the unmarked cars are out on routine nightly patrols pulling over people around here. I have also never seen a stop that a second police vehicle pulled up before the officer even got out of his cruiser at night. (I was pulled over my fair share of times) I also live in a more populated area, I would Imagine the mountains and such are handled differentlly.
Old January 19, 2007, 11:31 AM   #37
bigmike0176

Here in Iowa, they use unmarked cars alot on the interstates,no markings at all including regular plates.But they always have uniformed officers driving. And as far as I know any plain clothed officer has to car in a uniformed officer to initiate a stop.

Owning a gun doesn't kill anymore than owning a spoon makes Rosie O'Donnel FAT.
Old January 19, 2007, 03:40 PM   #38
markj

They just caught a guy acting as an officer the other day. Still dont know what he was after. He did it in front of an LEOs vehicle too. he is still in jail waiting for a trial. He pulled a gal over right in front of a cop, dumb move on his part.

Be careful and dont break any laws, make sure all of your lights work and you should have no reason to be pulled over.
Old January 27, 2007, 06:20 PM   #39
markdido

Quote:
- Ford Crown Victoria sedan
- Chevy Impala sedan (some departments also use the smaller Malibu and the Lumina sedans as well, though the majority in service today are Impalas)
- Chevy Tahoe SUV
- Dodge Charger

The problem is that these vehicles are also sold to civilians
LEOS are civilians too.....
Old January 28, 2007, 01:01 AM   #40
wolfsong

"though when I picture tackling, my mental picture is Troy Aikmen smashing another player to the ground". Sorry, but I don't think Troy Aikmen EVER smashed another player to the ground, let alone tackled one with any conviction. I have seen him get drilled a couple of times, though. Back to the subject at hand, this was discussed over at Glock Talk on the law enforcement thread. I posed some of the same logical reactions that others have suggested here such as driving to a well lit area or populated area etc. and was crucified by virtually all of the LEOs that responded to the thread. Looks like a no win situation, but then life has it's share of unfair circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather face the wrath of a pi$$ed off cop and take my lumps than be carjacked\robbed\killed by an imposter. I hope this never happens to me or you. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:09 PM   #41
Dwight55

Sometimes it is ironic how these things work out, . . . Columbus, Ohio has it's own version going, . . . some wierdo in a full size Ford (they think) who has tried to pull several women over.

It made the TV news, . . . but I couldn't find any details in the paper. TV did show a full size Crown Vic with a reporter, . . . saying that anyone could buy the light bar, paint on stripes, etc. and that everyone should be careful until the perp was apprehended.

Still don't know where it finally ended.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 6, 2007, 04:46 PM   #42
MikeGoob

how bad would it be to just pull over and call 911. Tell the guy who comes to your window that you called 911.

If you have a legit concern it shouldnt be a penalty to call.
Old February 7, 2007, 09:51 PM   #43
AR15FAN

Just arrested a guy today here on Long Island that was impersonating an officer and stopping cars and taking them in the line of duty, or so he said. Here is a blurb:

"A Holbrook man accused of pretending to be a cop could now face some real prison time.

Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota says Henry Terry impersonated a police officer on several occasions. Spota claims Terry pulled over drivers for apparent traffic violations and other crimes, and ticketed them. Terry allegedly collected money on the spot as fines. According to Spota, Terry used an unmarked car with a siren, police badges and handcuffs in his ruse.

Terry has previously served time behind bars for impersonating a police officer. Spota says Terry acquired the uniforms and badges from the Internet."
Old February 7, 2007, 11:28 PM   #44
shep854

Good one, AR15FAN! Now, if you could have just given some informal counselling...