The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2000, 06:29 PM   #1
Mylhouse

I'm ready to purchase some dies to reload 9mm and 40 S&W on my Dillon 550. I've been looking at Hornady or Redding titanium nitride 3-die sets or the LEE carbide set. Someone also highly recommended the LEE factory crimp die. Does the LEE 3-die carbide set come with that die or do I have to buy it separately? Also is there advantage to going with the TiN over the carbide? I won't have to lube the pistol cases with either, right?
Old September 29, 2000, 07:15 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die is a separate die, and worth the money.

Neither choice requires case lube. I haven't any Redding TiN dies, have the Hornady's (and Dillon, Lee, Lyman, RCBS).

The Lee dies are decent and very inexpensive. The Lyman 4-die sets are best for single-staging. The Hornady dies feel 'smooth'. RCBS dies seem more difficult to adjust. Dillon dies have large mouths for easy progressive loading.

I have numerous Redding Profile Crimp dies, and if their regular dies are of similar quality (which I'm sure they are) they should be superb.

But I have at least two Lee sets for every caliber I load...

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old September 30, 2000, 04:37 PM   #3
Chris McDermott

Redding reloading dies use a ring of Titanium Carbide instead of the typical Tungsten Carbide to do the actual sizing operation. Redding claims titanium carbide has a rounded grain structure that results in a smoother, slicker finish than tungsten carbide. I use their Pro series for 45 ACP, 41 Magnum, 44 special and 32 H&R Magnum. The Pro series comes with the Profile Crimp die and seperate seating dies, and I use a Lyman "M" die for the expanding operation.

TiN usually refers to Titanium Nitride, which is used as a coating on drill bits etc as well as steel re-loading dies. It's supposed to have all of the benefits of using a carbide insert in the sizing die [no lubing etc], with the benefit of being able to do tapered and bottle-neck cases as well as straight case calibers. The TiN coating is available from CH4D for dies you already have, standard dies from CH4D and they also do custom dies.
http://www.ch4d.com/