The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2000, 08:25 PM   #1
olazul

Whats the difference? Why is nickel more?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Olazul

Old March 1, 2000, 09:06 PM   #2
HankL

Nickel is one more step, several really, to the manufacturing process. In rifle case there is much less demand as well thus the cost rises.
In rifle cases it is useful when you have 2 guns in the same caliber that you handload for to keep the cases segregated "can I say that?" If you have 3 or more in the same caliber you must resort to the conventional means.
Hank
Old March 1, 2000, 10:55 PM   #3
Colduglandon

I have found more split 38 special nickel cases than I have with the brass casings. I think the advantage is they won't tranish when they sit in a pistol belt forever. I have had more trouble reloading the nickel 357 cases in my progressive 1000. I have had a lot of high primers and have had to toss the cases. Generally speaking I have had more problems with them than brass.
Old March 2, 2000, 06:16 AM   #4
johnnybravo

I've had the same issue that Paul does. Nickel plated 38 spl, especially R-P brand seem to split all the time. For the lesser cost, longevity, and ease of reloading, I prefer brass over nickel

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old March 2, 2000, 01:36 PM   #5
Paul B.

I too have had problems with nickel plated brass splitting more frequently than plain brass. Haven't paid much attention as to which brand. I'll have to start doing that. I much prefer brass colored brass anyway.
Paul B.
Old March 2, 2000, 03:32 PM   #6
tonyz

Has like HankL, I like to use the nickel plated brass to seperate differant loads in the same cal. It is a quick way to seperate a differant load. IE, same bullet but differant charges. I have not had any problume with spliting in my 9MM or 380. And they have been reloaded 15-20 times. But will now keep a closer eye on the nickel brass.
Old March 2, 2000, 04:48 PM   #7
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

I use Starline nickle cases to load my pistol rounds for cowboy shooting. I use regular brass cases for my rifle loads. I have been using the same 300 nickle cases or so for the past 18 months,and I've only culled out 10-12 for splitting,and most of those were tiny splits at the case mouth. Today I received a new batch of Starline brass-nickle and regular-so I'll retire my old cases to the practice range,and use my new cases for matches. From what I've heard,Starline nickle seems to be the best of the lot.

Bill
Old March 2, 2000, 05:04 PM   #8
Banzai

The difference comes in longevity of the case in the field. Originally, cases were plated with nikel to prevent the formation of corrosion when the revolver cartridges were stored in leather loops on the gun belt.
Later, with the popularity of auto loaders, it was noticed that many LEOs that didn't fire their weapon other than semi annually to qualify, that there was a lot of corrosion build up on the brass cases that were in use at the time. This was caused by exposure to the weather and never changing them. This corrosion caused many problems with the operation of of the pistols, understandably.
So, usually, premium self defense loads are offered with nickel plated cases, to prevent just this problem, because often people will not cycle their ammo, or fire all that often. Nickel lasts bright and shiny just about forever, so it is a natural for maintaining a good clean surface between case and chamber wall, not to mention case to case in a magazine.
The only down side is that it increases the outside diameter of the case just a fraction, and dosen't take resizing too well, as it is harder and less elastic than brass. Thus, the problems resizing, especially with the long, straight revolver cases.
Revolvers usually don't care all that much if the case is brass or nickel, but auto loaders need to be checked with many rounds before you decide that it's "Reliable" for regular carry use, as they will feed and fire nickel cases just a tad differently than brass.
The reason why such LEO rounds as the Ranger Talon and several others are offered in brass cases vice nickel is an economic one. Brass cases here helps lower the cost per round with these premium bullets, and allows the departments to use cheaper brass cased rounds for practice without the fear that the guns will perform differently with nickel cases.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
Old March 3, 2000, 02:57 AM   #9
Paul B.

I should clarify my earlier post on nickel cases splitting. It is with .38 Spl. and .357 Mag. brass that I run into this.
Paul B.