The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 11, 2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

refitting Corbons for maximum penetration

say I were to go hunting or just be out in a wilderness area armed with only my mid sized .38 special 4 inch. (that's typically what I carry.) Obviously .38+P is the more ideal round. Corbon velocity and energy in +P comes closer to a .357 round. However, it being a hollowpoint round (as all +P rounds are) there is teh problem of it getting caught in hair of large animals like mountain lions and bears. However, to get around that wouldn't it be better to have a round nosed or at least flat nosed +P Corbon for this? To this is there any way I can modify the Hollow point by filling it in with some substance to make it a round nose?
Old October 11, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Very dangerous, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

What you are doing is increasing the mass of your projectile and therefore the amount of pressure necessary to start it moving.

The missing lead from a hollowpoint in a .38 caliber bullet can weigh between 10 and 40 grains. It depends on whose hollowpoint design it is.

Regardless, loading an already pressure-maximized cartridge with additional mass will have a dangerous effect on your power curve.

If you look at a reloading manual, for any given caliber, you will notice a trend. As bullet weight goes up, maximum powder charges go down. This is because the heavier bullet imparts more resistance to the expanding gas in the cartridge and barrel when you pull the trigger.

Since your gun is only a .38 and probably not even rated for +P ammunition, I would suggest you stay with standard .38 loads. Definitely do not add mass to your already exceeded bullet weight.

Also, do not try to crimp the hollowpoint closed. You will never get the bullet balanced correctly again and it will spin out of balance like a tire in need of rotation, going way off target when you need it most.

If you have a friend that hand-loads whose math you trust with your life, get him or her to load up some of your old .38 brass with some 158 or 180 gr lead semi-wadcutters as hot as SAAMI spec allows in his or her loading manual. Just plain hard lead.

The last thing you want with a hairy-toothy thing coming at you is your gun blowing your hand off too...
Old October 11, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Doug.38PR

oh the gun is rated for +P ammo. It's a Colt Official Police. It was rated for the old .38/44 ammunition which is even higher pressure than .38+P.

I didn't know this about increasing the weight of the bullet.
Old October 12, 2005, 07:51 AM   #4
mete

For penetration don't modify a bullet .Instead use a 173 gr hard cast SWC. This has VERY good penetration !! I've used this in a 357 but it would do well in a +p 38 spl. It's never a good idea to modify a bullet you'll never get it to perform that well.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Joven

Have you seen the Cor-Bon Power Ball? I don't know if they make it for .38 but it sounds like what you are after. It is a hollow point with a ball in the cavity that seperates after impact.
Old March 18, 2006, 03:59 PM   #6
atlctyslkr

Corbon makes a Deep Penetrating round http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/dpx.htm
Good for large animals and car doors!
Old March 21, 2006, 08:42 AM   #7
rn22723

Get the right gun and ammo for the job! Pure and simple!